Sticking to one ship is a missed gameplay opportunity

General discussion about anything related to Transcendence.
Watch TV, Do Nothing
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I had thought about this simply in terms of switching between the existing playerships at different points in the game. In my view:

If players are given the option to switch ships at any point in the game, there should be a compelling reason to do so. Since right now the ships are balanced to be fun and playable, this would require a gameplay system wherein certain stretches of 2-4 systems have conditions that favor a certain kind of ship over others, and method whereby the player can get advance knowledge of conditions in the upcoming systems, either directly (e.g. Anton Nasser says "The next two systems are a war zone! The Dwarg have launched a major offensive against the Sung and so far only fast gunships that can outrun cnidocyst blasts and wind slavers have been able to get through the fighting!") or indirectly (upon entering the system you see a huge and busy Korolov facility and extensive cargo handling infrastructure, clearly this region of space is a major trading hub where a freighter pilot could make big profits.)

It should be possible to complete the game with any ship type, easier by making a few switches now and then, and easiest using only the starting ship types. "Unlockable" ships should present an additional challenge and be less conventionally "good" than the starting ships, rather than being upgrades. The Constellation is a good example- the playstyle is not something that would immediately intuitive to a new Transcendence player, and consequently it's only available to CC buyers, e.g. people who already understand the game well enough to pay money for an expansion.

I don't think there should be paid unlockables in the main game, though; only as expansion content. Anything that can be unlocked in Stars of the Pilgrim should be available to any player once unlocked.
neogoliath
Anarchist
Anarchist

By late game the player flies a capital ship in all but sprite appearances though.
Heavy plasma cannon, ions turrets, thermo missiles, 400hp shields and armor, are basically what goes on the game's dreadnaughts and cruisers.
sun1404
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

The player do not have the advantages of real capital ships though: No linked-fire weapons, only four armor segments and not thirty-six, and less device slots. If they have also those, they'd be very overpowered.
Yes, look at my avatar, I have a wyvera type ship.
AssumedPseudonym
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

sun1404 wrote:…only four armor segments and not thirty-six…
 Also, no interior compartments to hold you for a little longer once the armor goes down. Granted, there aren’t currently any methods in vanilla for repairing interior damage, either, which makes having an actual capital ship something of a liability the longer you have it — particularly given that there are no current ways in vanilla of seeing how much damage the interior of a playership has been taken, either. I did recently cobble a mod together to add in a few items that can do interior repairs, including a patcher-arm-esque device, but even those mostly stopgap measures since I didn’t add interior repair capabilities to stations that can perform armor repairs which I should probably do at some point.

Mod prefixes: 0xA010 (registered) and 0xDCC8 (miscellaneous)

My mods on Xelerus: Click here!

Of all the things I’ve lost in life, I miss my mind the least. (I’m having a lot more fun without it!)
pixelfck
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

AssumedPseudonym wrote:
sun1404 wrote:(...) interior repair capabilities to stations that can perform armor repairs which I should probably do at some point.
Interior compartments repair could finally set shipyards apart from regular stations

~Pixelfck
Download the Black Market Expansion from Xelerus.de today!
My other mods at xelerus.de
AssumedPseudonym
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

pixelfck wrote:Interior compartments repair could finally set shipyards apart from regular stations
 …That’s bloody brilliant.
 Another possible shipyard-only feature, assuming ship transfers get green-lighted into vanilla, could include device/armor transfer from the old ship to the new one.
 While this might all seem somewhat off-topic from the original post, there definitely needs to be some infrastructure in place to take into account some of the issues involved with changing ship, including the possibility of capital playerships — particularly given that George himself weighed in a couple of pages ago expressing interest in the possibility.

Mod prefixes: 0xA010 (registered) and 0xDCC8 (miscellaneous)

My mods on Xelerus: Click here!

Of all the things I’ve lost in life, I miss my mind the least. (I’m having a lot more fun without it!)
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Currently, there is no way for a player to pilot a capital in standard game. If a mod adds capital ships for player to pilot, it should add some way to repair interior. (I added interior repair to shipyards in PSD once 1.5 made it possible.)
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.
Xephyr
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

PM wrote:If a mod adds capital ships for player to pilot, it should add some way to repair interior. (I added interior repair to shipyards in PSD once 1.5 made it possible.)
For that matter, players shouldn't pilot capital ships unless the ship is complimented by a full crew.
Project Renegade (Beta) : "The Poor Man's Corporate Command!"
Real programmers count from 0. And sometimes I do, too.
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

The player should never pilot a capital ship in Stars of the Pilgrim. Capital ships require crews and the player in SotP is a lunatic on a pilgrimage to the undiscovered country.
Literally is the new Figuratively
Arkheias
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Atarlost wrote:The player should never pilot a capital ship in Stars of the Pilgrim. Capital ships require crews and the player in SotP is a lunatic on a pilgrimage to the undiscovered country.
My Cabbage Corp mod includes several types of crew members, everyone should just make their capital ship mods dependant on my mod and add a little bit of code to prevent you from removing crew members unless you have more than some minimum number of them.

Also, there is nothing wrong with being an insane/fanatical ship captain while simultaneously being responsible for the lives of dozens/hundreds of crew members. You should try to be a little less bigoted.
Cabbage Corp, the only mod with cabbages!

Please feel free to submit bug reports or issues related to the Cabbage Corp mod on the GitHub page, the forum thread, in a private message or even on the Xelerus page. Suggestions are fine too.
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Atarlost wrote:The player should never pilot a capital ship in Stars of the Pilgrim. Capital ships require crews and the player in SotP is a lunatic on a pilgrimage to the undiscovered country.
Might be useful for filling out the high tier Fleet ranks, but that may be a stretch.
Ihlosi
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Even one of the great-ancestors of Transcendence let the players upgrade their ships.

A game named "Empire!" published by the long-defunct company Firebird.

Sadly, I never made it to the point where you could get the upgrade (from your lowly Cub scout ship to the supposedly far superior Wolf attack ship).
Blitz
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

neogoliath wrote:Not having played too much, so I'm probably not familiar with the intentions of the community or the developer
:oops:
But I had hoped to play in a Charon frigate or Tripoli Destroyer, cuz those look cool
The playership drones mod might be just for you
TVR
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

From an engine perspective, every ship in the game should automatically be playable. There should be no need for <PlayerSettings> or any additional stats.

The ship control interface only needs a few extensions for capital ships, specifically a fire secondary and fire tertiary weapon. Everything else can be controlled using the existing interface.

With mouse support, there could also be manual turret control and true RTS-style autopilot for the heaviest ships.

Capital ships also need a new ship customization system. Perhaps something similar to PSD shipPoint system, but only changeable at the dock services screen.
Fiction is reality, simplified for mass consumption.
PGP: 0x940707ED, 5DB8 4CB4 1EF5 E987 18A0 CD99 3554 3C13 9407 07ED
Bitcoin: 1LLDr7pnZDjXVT5mMDrkqRKkAPByPCQiXQ
Vannor
Anarchist
Anarchist

I like the idea of linked turrets being a major differentiating factor, perhaps that could be done with the slots themselves for some ships instead of manual fire control though? I'm just thinking that it might be easier to make something like a combination of the CLAW and and the IM90 where you can take weapons to somewhere (a shipyard maybe) to link them, and they become a new weapon of the same type that has multitarget abilities and takes up multiple slots, but can only be mounted in a special "linked weapon slot."

No clue if it would be easier to do that for a bunch of weapons than to add mouse controls, but just my first instinct.