beginners mistakes

General discussion about anything related to Transcendence.
Fossaman
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

My most common error? Forgetting to jettison all my valuables before opening sealed cargo containers. I still make this error on occasion, but not as much anymore.
X-ray laser! Pew, pew pew!
> = = = = ۞
Cardinal
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

My most common error... I'm afraid I still find the temptation to pick on nomads irresistable, and sometimes I haven't picked up a suitable weapon/shields/laser reflect armour.

I'm afraid I haven't really had time to have a proper game of Transcendence for a few weeks. Too busy working, exercising, writing, fencing, and striking fear into the unbeating hearts of HR staff...
I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.
Salvagebot 1.0
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Not saving up the "stackable" upgrades for your "mainline" weaponry.

Don't waste a hexagene booster on a slam cannon -- save it for the AK turret. Likewise a Tritium Booster belongs on your thermo turret if that's going to be your main.

If you know in advance none of your mains will be an Omni-TeV you can use up your particle boosters on an omni-particle cannon in the meantime, but in my second game I missed getting a 150% thermo cannon because I wasted tritium boosters on a tritium cannon I didn't keep. Aww.
Dosgamer3
Closed Account
Closed Account

My biggest mistake...starting to use unknown ROMs when I still only have a class I shield. Waste of a shield enhancement ROM.

No, I take that back. My biggest mistake was trying to use about four diamond crystals on a Yoroi 500 shield generator.

Or was it installing 4 segments of worldship armor with no regen or spiders, and running smack into a system with 2 Ferian Colonies? Nah, it was the first version that had Ferians and my first game in it. So not entirely my fault...
The universe is illogical. Get over it.

-----------------------------------------

I cannot be held accountable for anything I say that offends you. I never intentionally offend anyone.
If I offended you, it was an accident and I am sorry.
Frits
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Dorne wrote:Going to a commonwealth station with contrabands.
Thát was my most common one. But that was before we could jettison items on empty space! Which i was forever against i recall, cos of being too beneficial.
(name here)
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Thinking a blue crystal on a veil renders me invulnerable to the ares. the archcannon turrets absolved me of that notion fast.
F50
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

now do the same thing with a Tailkon 200 (the level X tailkon). Reasonably invincible with Ion reflect.
(name here)
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

eh, Veil with +150% does a reasonable approximation of invulnerable while storming a shipyard. with a talkion 200 with ion reflect, i doubt that the 12+ archcannons would have almost no effect.
Maniac
Anarchist
Anarchist

Betelgeuse wrote:What mistakes did you do as a beginner or that you see other beginners do?
The one that comes to mind for me is trying to loot everything. They don't realize that time is also a factor in the credits you get and most ships are wasteful in that regard.
How is time a factor? :confused: Except that it costs fuel to travel back to previous systems?
Betelgeuse
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

lets say you have two ways of getting credits (exaggerated). One way takes an hour but will get you 1000 credits the other way only gets you 100 credits but takes 5 minutes. If both are repeatable then the first way is a waste of your time as it only gets you 16.6 credits a minute while the second one gives you 20 credits a minute.
Crying is not a proper retort!
Vastin
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Fossaman wrote:My most common error? Forgetting to jettison all my valuables before opening sealed cargo containers. I still make this error on occasion, but not as much anymore.
I try to be good about this. I got lazy exactly ONCE last game - and of course I paid for it. Lost a stack of 6 system mapping roms... probably the only thing in my hold I really cared about at that time!
josh19967
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Me? Skipping too many systems w/o upgrading.
I really don't care if I get my hair cut... *snip* NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!
ThePrivateer
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Fossaman wrote:My most common error? Forgetting to jettison all my valuables before opening sealed cargo containers. I still make this error on occasion, but not as much anymore.
Ooh yeah, that was big one for me. I'd get all the cash from doing Korolov missions, get some sweet stuff in my cargo hold and then open crates (usually the ones hanging around the Korlov station).

That's not the end of the story, just having my stuff melted away. I then thought I'd just jettison everything and then open the crate, only to have myself get radioactive posioning.

Nowdays, I don't open crates. >.>
CFG
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

I tried to identify every armor enhancing stuff in a barrel. Of course one of them was radioactive and no station near to decontaminate. Also I did not have decontamination gel identified yet ...

Attempt to complete the arena in crappy equipment - especially no particle resistant shield, no missile defense, no blast resistant armor, but an X-ray laser cannon with collimator.

Not comparing shields and enemy damage types ... and wondering why they easily drop your shield.

Really cant remember my first game, but I dont think I got far ^^
andwheee
Miner
Miner

I didn't know what the ROMs were for so I didn't use any.

I kept particle weapon for ages unaware enemies were becoming highly resistant to it.