beginners mistakes

General discussion about anything related to Transcendence.
Betelgeuse
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

What mistakes did you do as a beginner or that you see other beginners do?
The one that comes to mind for me is trying to loot everything. They don't realize that time is also a factor in the credits you get and most ships are wasteful in that regard.
Crying is not a proper retort!
Blitz
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

I did that too. I used to go two or three systems back to sell loot. And I would try and loot everything in Charon. Oh that and not reading the text of how the launcher would get replaced when I installed a new. I thought Tab was to switch between the launchers. Wasted a lot of money there. And not buying insurance.

EDIT: I remember that I installed a cargo hold on my freighter for many games without realizing it didn't do anything.

And Another question? How far did you get on your first game? What ship did you use the first time?

I'm a very conservative player. I started with a freighter. My first game was lucky. I found a commonwealth fortress right after Rigel Aurius and I did the mission without having a clue of what I was doing. And since I looted everything, I had a load of money. I bought on OmniTev9 and a Mammoth 50 and went blasting through. I reached two systems after St.K. I didn't bother upgrading anything after the fortress. Then I got raped by the Dwarg.
Yugi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

In my first few games before the hints popping up on the screen feature was added, I never knew you could use items.
In my third game without using stuff I managed to reach the Ares :D I suppose I did very well, considering.
goat not sheep
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Using a kiloton to try an end the iocrym. :oops: That's a big mistake... oh! Uh, not doing a lot of missions... is that a mistake?
>.<
Betelgeuse
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

the only "required" (well not really) missions are the ones that get you the military id.
Crying is not a proper retort!
goat not sheep
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Hmm...then that's ok then, I guess.
>.<
FAD
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

One mistake I made was having the Tinkers convert Titanium barrels into armor. What a loss of credits that was....

Another was trying to beat the arena with my freighter equipped with the original weapon and a class II shield. :oops:

And the grand mistake? Running out of fuel while passing by a station that sold it... I was looking for a fuel station instead.
goat not sheep
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

LOL! Indeed. Now, our skills have improved so much...
>.<
Yugi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Maybe we should group together to make a Common Errors topic :P
goat not sheep
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

MCE-most common error. I can't think of much, other than the fact that you shouldn't make titanium ore to armour.
>.<
Dorne
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Going to a commonwealth station with contrabands.
Dorne
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

PlayMeNow wrote:I've lost 'bout 500k that way in my last game. I always forget to install that damn cargo expansion.
Why use a 50 cargo expansion hold when you can use the 100 cargo expansion pack and a mule to hold all your illegal items? I sorta lost my QAC to the commonwealth in my last game. That made me self destruct.
Stormhawk
Closed Account
Closed Account

I can't remember my first game, I started in v.95. I do remember wishing to fly the drake though, oh those sad days before I learned how to mod.