If I had minigun full of particle blasts.........

General discussion about anything related to Transcendence.

Military Particle Weapons Effectiveness in Ares Space

Very Effective. They completely rip ships to shreds.
No votes
Worth it.
4%
Meh. Debatable.
54%
Bad.
29%
Very Bad.
13%

Total votes: 24
Kourtious
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

A giant CSC stands in open space with a squadron of 30 centurions. Each and every one of them blazes their cannons upon 3 chasm-heavy gunships. An entire minute later, the battle endures.

Chasm Pilot-*Look at his left wing. His eyes wide open* "@#$!! My cool Ares paint job got scratched!"

Are military particle cannons any use in Ares space? Vote above!
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Are you referring to the Tev9? It's a decent weapon, as shown by the Kobol raiders, who also use it, but without the massive firerate nerf. For the Centurions to be balanced, the firerate reduction needs to be partially done away with.
Kourtious
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

JohnBWatson wrote:Are you referring to the Tev9? It's a decent weapon, as shown by the Kobol raiders, who also use it, but without the massive firerate nerf. For the Centurions to be balanced, the firerate reduction needs to be partially done away with.
All military particle weapons are included, but Tev9 is the main focus.
Ferdinand
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

I find particle weapons get obsolete very soon after st. Kats. So usually I totally don't use them at all in any part of the game. I am mainly using blast type weapons and upgrading them to ion and/or thermo and plasma as soon as they lose much of their effectiveness.
AdmiralZo
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Particle weapons are acceptable against sandstorms, tundras and chasms, but useless against anything stronger than that.

I never even use particle weapons. After laser or kinetic in the New Beyond, I immediately change to something like the thermo cannon.
sun1404
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Strangely, I prefer energy weapons over matter, except for the case of the APA, which absolutely beat everything else. Anyway, I usually stick to particle until I can get a decent ion weapon. Generally, I'd say these:

I hate Tev9. They fire slowly, aren't that strong, and have nothing special. Possibly the worse military particle weapon.

Try the more rapid-fire particle weapons. For example, the Slicer's gun is pretty good, and free. Or go for the Hanzo if you want to keep it for a long time. The thing is as good as any normal-grade ion weapons. And it destroys stations and cap ships pretty fast. Other rapid fire particles works well too.

Against Ares, particle is somewhat obsolete. Of course you cannot effectively fight any capital ships of the Ares with any particle weapons. The Hanzo perhaps can take down Deimoses, but would take forever to kill a Phobos. I recommend finding ion or thermo, but if you can't, or won't, there are good particle weapons that could take you far into Ares territory, if with considerable difficulty.

I guess the reason I prefer energy weapons is that they travels faster than matter weapons. It makes aiming and intercepting projectiles easier. They also tend to fire more rapidly, making for easier control of damage spreading.
Yes, look at my avatar, I have a wyvera type ship.
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

In Ares space, particle and blast is (mostly) obsolete thanks to Xenophobe worldships and Gaian Processors, who hang out in Ares space. Aside from those enemies, almost everything that does not appear before St. K's resists particle damage.

TeV 9 is bad. It only has 1.5 more DPS than level 5 dual particle beam.
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.
AdmiralZo
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Strangely, I prefer energy weapons over matter
My favourite energy weapon is the Ares positron cannon, mainly because it's a shield buster. It also has a decent fire rate and range.

I guess the Hanzo blaster is probably the best particle weapon, but at that price there are other weapons much better.
FourFire
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

By the time you've reached Ares space you should be using Tier III weapons (this means Ion/Thermo) once you break an ares turret, loot it's Positron cannon, use the fasbricator if you can't get one intact.

The only usable TeV9 weapon at that point in the game is the omni version, if you are incapable of using straight shooting weapons and cannot get enough tracking missile ammo of sufficient level.

The (dual) TeV9 is best during sung space, but even there it is of limited value against the reflective armor of the Dwarg Dreadnoughts.
(func(Admin Response)= true){
if(admin func(amiable) = true)
Create func(Helpful Posts)
else func(Keep Calm and Post derisive topics)}
ahrenjb
Anarchist
Anarchist

Particle weapons seem to be fairly effective up to and just past St. Kats, but after that they start to become more challenging to use to good effect. Some of the newer particle weapons in Eternity Port make up for the weaknesses particle weapons had previously, but they still become obsolete. Rightfully so, that's a core aspect of the game.

I used to use energy weapons almost exclusively, but in recent plays I find myself using matter and ammo based weapons more and more. Formerly I went lasers -> particle weapons -> ion weapons. Now it's kinetic -> blast -> thermo. Just evolving playstyles I guess. My favorite overall weapon has to be the thermo cannon, but there seems to be a real shortage of ammunition available for it. The Akan 30 which I use prior to the thermo has abundant ammunition everywhere, but the thermo cannon which is described as being common surplus seems to be rare. Might just be my luck with the procedural generation.
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

ahrenjb wrote:Particle weapons seem to be fairly effective up to and just past St. Kats, but after that they start to become more challenging to use to good effect. Some of the newer particle weapons in Eternity Port make up for the weaknesses particle weapons had previously, but they still become obsolete. Rightfully so, that's a core aspect of the game.

I used to use energy weapons almost exclusively, but in recent plays I find myself using matter and ammo based weapons more and more. Formerly I went lasers -> particle weapons -> ion weapons. Now it's kinetic -> blast -> thermo. Just evolving playstyles I guess. My favorite overall weapon has to be the thermo cannon, but there seems to be a real shortage of ammunition available for it. The Akan 30 which I use prior to the thermo has abundant ammunition everywhere, but the thermo cannon which is described as being common surplus seems to be rare. Might just be my luck with the procedural generation.
Thermo shells are best acquired from Gaians. That said, they should certainly have a larger role in the Outer Realm. I'd like to see them fielded by some civilian station guards and turrets, which are woefully under - armed. In addition, I think they would go well with the Fleet's Scarabs, which at present are truly defenseless against any of the threats present in the Outer Realm.
Watch TV, Do Nothing
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

There is a thermo shell autofac device that produces unlimited quantities, and they are also available in crazy numbers from Bushido outlets (which aren't around by the time you reach areas where the thermo cannon is affordable, so this takes some planning.)
Kourtious
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Watch TV, Do Nothing wrote:There is a thermo shell autofac device that produces unlimited quantities, and they are also available in crazy numbers from Bushido outlets (which aren't around by the time you reach areas where the thermo cannon is affordable, so this takes some planning.)
Really? I have never seen one before. I'll go check the bushido merchants for one.
SolarGalaxy
Miner
Miner

Kourtious wrote: Really? I have never seen one before. I'll go check the bushido merchants for one.
They don't appear in vanilla. Its one of the new devices you can get from the Omnithor in Corporate Command.
Watch TV, Do Nothing
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Kourtious wrote:
Watch TV, Do Nothing wrote:There is a thermo shell autofac device that produces unlimited quantities, and they are also available in crazy numbers from Bushido outlets (which aren't around by the time you reach areas where the thermo cannon is affordable, so this takes some planning.)
Really? I have never seen one before. I'll go check the bushido merchants for one.
Sorry, by "they" I meant thermo shells. Bushido doesn't sell the autofac. I hadn't realized that it was CC-only