Ranx Revolution. Good or Wrong?

General discussion about anything related to Transcendence.

Was the Ranx Revolution good for Mankind?

Logically Yes
29%
Morally Yes
43%
Absolutely Yes
No votes
Logically No
14%
Morally No
14%
Absolutely Not
No votes

Total votes: 7
Kourtious
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

The Ranx Empire was formed from a group of angry frontier miner colonies. These colonies were angry for the Commonwealth's inability to protect them, as well as preventing them access to military grade defense(as shown in-game). The Ranx's desire for liberation also involves various other factors. One for example is corruption. However, was this desire the right decision for mankind?

First, the declaration of independence must have hurt the Commonwealth Expeditionary/Subjugation Fleet either logistically or diplomatically. By declaring independence, the Ranx essentially cut off a portion of supplies to the CSC and reduced the integrity of the Ungoverned territory of Commonwealth. In my opinion, this decision would have additionally back fired for the Ranx. This was the not case. The Ranx pulled off a miracle. They used ores from the thousands of mining colonies to create a powerful navy, acquired back deal trades with Arms Dealers(Rasiermesser), and set up impermeable fortifications through out Ares infested space. This shows the incredible resilience of these originally scattered and vulnerable colonies. Lastly, the Rise of the Ranx Empire brings instability to the balance of power. For example: Originally the Commonwealth had the advantage against the Ares; however, the revolt split the Commonwealth into two weaker factions at war and against the now unstoppable Ares Orthodoxy.

There are many opinions and views upon this, but the question is: Was the Ranx Revolution beneficial to Mankind or perhaps it doomed human space to evil faction of Transcendence?
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Funny that you made this thread - I was just about to start one on CW - Ranx relations. It puzzles me that they're still at war, to be honest, given what the Commonwealth could gain from making peace with their former citizens. They don't have a vast military advantage like the Union had in the only comparable war we've seen in real life, and the Ranx aren't trying to invade or bring harm to the Commonwealth. I've come up with a few hypotheses, which are below for comment:

1) The Ringers are keeping the CW from peace. With their selling Ferian - mined ore to the CW, they've filled a similar niche as the Ranx, and an essential one in the war with the Ares. They also supply a market for Commonwealth gunships for defending their stations, which may give them sway due to their economic power that the Ranx wouldn't have due to their self - sufficient military. However, the Fleet is running out of Rin, and would have to turn to either trading with the Ranx or piracy(Conspiracy theory: Perhaps the Rogue Fleet are secretly being operated by Fleet Command as a means of obtaining ore with plausible deniability? They tend not to attack the Fleet directly, and the Fleet doesn't assign missions against them.) against the Ferians upon being unable to buy from the Ringers. Come to think of it, that would be a good idea for the Ranx extension.

2) The Ranx officials don't want peace. Their people have no reason to hate their former countrymen, and the Ranx nation would be quite a bit more prosperous if they opened up trade, but that would weaken the climate of fear that allowed them to seize power. Thus, the leaders of the Ranx Empire consistently engage in military escalation and attacks on the Commonwealth to destroy any chance at peace that might exist.

3) The Commonwealth doesn't want a reputation for tolerating dictatorships. It's possible that as a very free civilization, the Commonwealth does not wish to tarnish its reputation as a force for good by associating with genocidal dictators, even in the face of military annihilation, and even for the sake of their own former citizens. They do have other allies, like the 4 factions of Earth, who would likely be displeased at the thought.
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

*cough* Finish the Ranx Extension already, Wolfy so we can answer all these *cough*
Mischievous local moderator. She/Her pronouns.
Aury
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Somewhere in the Frontier on a Hycrotan station, working on new ships.

The Ranx were not the only group to split off from the Commonwealth. The Coalition is also formed from former CW mining colonies whom seceded, then exploited their own natural bounties to build up their own defenses and fight back against their own threats. The CW faced, and still faces, the issue that it is too large and wide-spread that policy and politics in st.k's are rarely useful to govern its farther flung territories and colonies whom are often marginalized and alienated. The Ranx Empire was formed when the Ranx Republic was overthrown in a military coup, turning the state into a military autocracy.

While the limited in-game interactions between sovereigns prevents the more intricate nuances of their foreign politics and policies from being illustrated, the Ranx Empire is not specifically out to attack CW colonies, rather they are more interested in preventing the CW from having influence in their region of space, and believe that their own plans and technology (neither of which shows up in vanilla for good reason - you only ever see their periphery systems right now) will be sufficient to crush the Ares, Ringers, and Teratons. Admittedly, this technology is quite formidable, and involves the largest human-made ship at this point in time.

In short, the Ranx Empire's active hostility towards the CW is largely directed at the CW fleet which is poking around their neighborhood due to the presence of the Ares. And just because someone is the enemy of your enemy, it doesnt actually make them your friend. They are the enemy of your enemy, no more, no less. Neither the Ranx Empire nor the Republic that preceded it had any reason to trust the CW. The CW has done more than its fair share of manipulating on the international scene, and already lost them over neglect.

A Ranx-specific beef with the CW as well is that the CW supports the Ringers, and the Ringers are seen by the Ranx as slavers due to their control of the Ferrians. The modern autocractic government probably doesnt care overall either way, but is more interested in drumming up support for the war against the Ringers, and yes, as #2 states, has a vested interest in maintaining tight control and preventing a loss of power. Still, even the Ranx Resistence wont deal with the CW, but is friendly with Rasiermesser as many exiled Ranx fled to the nearby company when the Empire began purging dissidents (largely intellectuals, many engineers among them) from positions of consequence, including Dvalin's father.

The Coalition however was lucky enough to not have the CW's fleet poking around their neighborhood. The Coalition is in a more passive form of cold war with the CW however, but if the CW had decided to actually make good on its war on the Domain, would likely also face active hostilities from the Coalition who would not take kindly to having the fleet poking around their neighborhood. As it is, the Coalition actively runs and funds a puppet state, the Rean Kingdom, to bring the nearby marginalized fringe colonies of the CW into its protection, effectively annexing the CW's border on their side bit by bit, right from out under their nose. The CW cant expend the effort to counter this, since its already tied up in the outer realm, and the protection and prosperity that the Rean offer is so enticing vs. the negligence and poverty that the CW has left these colonies with, that the colonies actively wish to secede.

Overall, the United States' Civil War is not a good analogy for what is going on between the Ranx or Coalition and the Commonwealth. Its much closer to the colonial secessions that Great Britain faced, with some other historical references thrown in.

Anyways, hope that post was coherent enough, its way too late at night and im going to sleep.
(shpOrder gPlayership 'barrelRoll)
(plySetGenome gPlayer (list 'Varalyn 'nonBinary))
Homelab Servers: Xeon Silver 4110, 16GB | Via Quadcore C4650, 16GB | Athlon 200GE, 8GB | i7 7800X, 32GB | Threadripper 1950X, 32GB | Atom x5 8350, 4GB | Opteron 8174, 16GB | Xeon E5 2620 v3, 8GB | 2x Xeon Silver 4116, 96GB, 2x 1080ti | i7 8700, 32GB, 6500XT
Workstations & Render machines: Threadripper 3990X, 128GB, 6900XT | Threadripper 2990WX, 32GB, 1080ti | Xeon Platinum 8173M, 48GB, 1070ti | R9 3900X, 16GB, Vega64 | 2x E5 2430L v2, 24GB, 970 | R7 3700X, 32GB, A6000
Gaming Systems: R9 5950X, 32GB, 6700XT
Office Systems: Xeon 5318Y, 256GB, A4000
Misc Systems: R5 3500U, 20GB | R5 2400G, 16GB | i5 7640X, 16GB, Vega56 | E5 2620, 8GB, R5 260 | P4 1.8ghz, 0.75GB, Voodoo 5 5500 | Athlon 64 x2 4400+, 1.5GB, FX 5800 Ultra | Pentium D 3.2ghz, 4GB, 7600gt | Celeron g460, 8GB, 730gt | 2x Athlon FX 74, 8GB, 8800gts 512 | FX 9590, 16GB, R9 295x2 | E350, 8GB | Phenom X4 2.6ghz, 16GB, 8800gt | random core2 duo/atom/i5/i7 laptops
Kourtious
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

@Wolfy

Could there possibility that the player could enter the Ranx Empire? I believe this would be fun and interactive for the player. The decision would appear in critical part of the story line.

During the Ranx adventure, the player would learn the lore of the Ranx. For example, the annals of the Ranx would show the failures of the Commonwealth and its corruption. The ringer guide missions should allow the player to eventually discover a new underground faction called the Ranx Confederacy. The player should realize that the Ranx is split into factions and that some are for good. These plot arcs would try to make the player align with the Ranx Empire, then the Ranx Confederacy. Furthermore, the adventure could have a CSC Antarctica relative event. For example, the player would help the Underground Ranx Confederacy Faction to rise and take over the Ranx Empire. The adventure could then end with the Empire at civil war.
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

That sounds like something for a non-pilgrim adventure. As a pilgrim, what do I care about humanity once I leave the QZ and reach my goal at the core?
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

PM wrote:That sounds like something for a non-pilgrim adventure. As a pilgrim, what do I care about humanity once I leave the QZ and reach my goal at the core?
You know it is possible to play the Pilgrim as something other than a crazed sociopath.

....it's hard, but it's possible.

Anyway. Until ORE is out some time in Q3 of 2897 the Ranx are just gonna be those delicious sources of repair kits we know and love.
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Shrike wrote:
PM wrote:That sounds like something for a non-pilgrim adventure. As a pilgrim, what do I care about humanity once I leave the QZ and reach my goal at the core?
You know it is possible to play the Pilgrim as something other than a crazed sociopath.

....it's hard, but it's possible.

Anyway. Until ORE is out some time in Q3 of 2897 the Ranx are just gonna be those delicious sources of repair kits we know and love.
Considering the Pilgrim is either going to destroy or save all of mankind under the influence of a hyperintelligence, they probably wouldn't care all that much about the political affairs of two nations, but I think it can be justified, given that the player can do things like clear the Charon system for Korolov despite it having no initially perceivable benefit. So long as the mission doesn't take the player too far off course, I can see it being a part of SOTP. Of course, the player is a human being outside of the game, and there's hardly a way to simulate the mental influence of Domina there, so a lot of things are blurred there.

Also, you're being too pessimistic about the fate of the Ranx expansion. It'll be out within the next two centuries, tops.
Last edited by JohnBWatson on Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

The goal of the Pilgrim is to reach the Core at all costs, or die trying. Pilgrim can help so-called humanity along the way, and it is often a good idea due to tangible rewards that make your character stronger.

Since this is a game, there is nothing wrong playing as a "crazed sociopath" as long as the outcome of said sociopathy does not end the game or make the game harder. For example, killing all red (like pirates, Sung, and Ares) and some green (like Salvagers and Ferians) is good, but killing stations with instakill justice systems (like Corporate or Ringers) is bad.

P.S. When engaging in crazed sociopathy is a good idea (e.g., stop greens from stealing your loot), then it is a good idea to do it.
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.
Xephyr
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Is this lore documented somewhere, or is it just conversation between those in the loop?
Project Renegade (Beta) : "The Poor Man's Corporate Command!"
Real programmers count from 0. And sometimes I do, too.
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Xephyr wrote:Is this lore documented somewhere, or is it just conversation between those in the loop?
Mix of documented, regdev (ORE is wolfy's thing, so can be shared), and not documented but in Wolfy/George's heads. It's not technically canon-canon until it's in the game....but it's the basis for ORE so it's at least really close to canon.

The "ranx seceded from the CW because of ringers 'enslaving' the ferians" reason for initial hostilities is documented at least, although I can't remember where. probably a George lore post from many years ago.
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Wasn't it that they were wary of neo - human expansion and economic competition? The ferians' "slavery" seemed like something they were uncomfortable with, but mainly used to strengthen their moral justification for war, especially considering the Ferians' apparent lack of sapience and inability to survive independently(Thus, were they 'liberated', they would likely end up dying).

Was it the Ringers or the Teratons that created the Ferian zoanthropes? I know they were made by Neo - humans, but I forget which group did so.
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

The pilgrim is just a normal human under the influence of alien mind control. Within the scope of action left to him he will act according to his own nature.
Literally is the new Figuratively
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Atarlost wrote:The pilgrim is just a normal human under the influence of alien mind control. Within the scope of action left to him he will act according to his own nature.
So, nothing is better than letting a person think that has no control on his actions too see exactly what he's capable of ?

also, can neohumans become pilgrims ?
Xephyr
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

digdug wrote:also, can neohumans become pilgrims ?
I would assume so, since Domina seems to have influence over any kind of consciousness, natural or artificial.
Project Renegade (Beta) : "The Poor Man's Corporate Command!"
Real programmers count from 0. And sometimes I do, too.