Why do the Curators attack the player?

General discussion about anything related to Transcendence.
TheLoneWolf
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Right now, there are morw enemies and less friendlies in Trans. Strange. Humans colonize the universe, contact aliens, develop awesome tech (Microsaurs!!!), and still attack everything in sight? Dumb....
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

TheLoneWolf wrote:Right now, there are morw enemies and less friendlies in Trans. Strange. Humans colonize the universe, contact aliens, develop awesome tech (Microsaurs!!!), and still attack everything in sight? Dumb....
Such is live in the Quarantine Zone.

My justification for the enemy - friendly disparity is that the friendly factions tend to concentrate their people in large population centers, while the criminal factions survive by spreading out in networks of small, cheap, and thinly crewed stations.
TheLoneWolf
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

JohnBWatson wrote:
TheLoneWolf wrote:Right now, there are morw enemies and less friendlies in Trans. Strange. Humans colonize the universe, contact aliens, develop awesome tech (Microsaurs!!!), and still attack everything in sight? Dumb....
Such is live in the Quarantine Zone.

My justification for the enemy - friendly disparity is that the friendly factions tend to concentrate their people in large population centers, while the criminal factions survive by spreading out in networks of small, cheap, and thinly crewed stations.
True. Criminals outnumber common people. Ghost Rider must go crazy in this place...
Ferdinand
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

I see it slightly different.

Look at our own history: what happenend when europeans discovered the world was round?
They went to the other continents and conquered them, existing populations were simply wiped out if they did not comply. Those who did, became allies.
There was also competition between the various conquerers, resulting in war amongst them. So why should it be any different in space?
TheLoneWolf
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Ferdinand wrote:I see it slightly different.

Look at our own history: what happenend when europeans discovered the world was round?
They went to the other continents and conquered them, existing populations were simply wiped out if they did not comply. Those who did, became allies.
There was also competition between the various conquerers, resulting in war amongst them. So why should it be any different in space?
Space travellers aren't such noobs. There is plenty of 'space' for everyone!
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Humans turn themselves into space monsters. Of course they will kill each other. Fortunately for the player, that is all the excuse he needs to go plunder and kill enemies, not that the player needs an excuse. Regardless of class, player is a space pirate!
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.
TheLoneWolf
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

PM wrote:Humans turn themselves into space monsters. Of course they will kill each other. Fortunately for the player, that is all the excuse he needs to go plunder and kill enemies, not that the player needs an excuse. Regardless of class, player is a space pirate!
You mean to say that whatever I do, I stay Jack Sparrow? Wow...
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I should have wrote "character" instead of "player" when I meant the character the player plays.

The character in Transcendence is an armed robber and a mass-murderer, even if only against red blips and the occasional annoying or defenseless greens. Pirates I have in mind are not Hollyword-style happy-go-lucky treasure hunters like Jack Sparrow and predecessors, but violent criminals, terrorists, and warlords like what you hear, read, or see from various news sources.

Your character who blows up stations and takes whatever loot is useful is a stone-cold killer and has virtual blood on his greedy hands. Fortunately, it is game where the targets are abstract digital constructs, not real living creatures.
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

PM wrote: Your character who blows up stations and takes whatever loot is useful is a stone-cold killer and has virtual blood on his greedy hands. Fortunately, it is game where the targets are abstract digital constructs, not real living creatures.
Eh, it's possible to be a vigilante(who kills, but only violent criminals who arguably have it coming), or even someone who only kills in self defense(which most moral systems are okay with, given that societies that aren't okay with this don't tend to last very long).
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Nah. Not a pirate. Militia membership is basically equivalent to a letter of marque even though the term isn't used. That makes you a perfectly legitimate privateer.
Literally is the new Figuratively
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

It used to be possible to not kill at all, but have your robots and god do it for you. Ah, those good old days.

With regards to the actual topic....well. Those modern starship parts to turn into fake antiques have to come from somewhere, no?
Mischievous local moderator. She/Her pronouns.
TheLoneWolf
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Samus Aran is coming for us...