How to post screenshots

General discussion about anything related to Transcendence.
relanat
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

After having a mental blank a couple of weeks ago when I couldn't remember how to post pics on the forum, I had the idea to do a topic on what works for me so others can share the visual joy :) .

HOW TO POST SCREENSHOTS
-----------------------------------------------
A screenshot is what it sounds like. A shot or captured picture of the screen when you are playing Transcendence. See the Transcendence Picture thread for some really excellent images.

First of all download IrfanView and PIXresizer. I've used these two programs for ages and had no problems with them, and they're free. Please recommend other programs if they work well for you.

Next find the Print Screen button on your keyboard. It can be abbreviated to things like PrtScrn or even PrSc.

Now get Transcendence to the point where you want to take the screenshot. For this example I chose the Transendence loading screen at the beginning of the game.

When the screen came up I pressed the Print Screen button once. Only press it once. It usually doesn't look like anything has happened but your computer will remember what the image looked like. On my computer the cursor arrow blinks once when you do it but you have to be looking for it to see it.

Now start IrfanView. You will see a blank black screen. Go to the 'Edit' button at the top left of the screen and click on it once. A drop-down menu will appear and not far from the bottom of it you will see 'Paste". Click on 'Paste' and , like magic, the screenshot image will appear where the blank black screen was.
Now don't panic, like I did the first time, because of the white grid squares that covers the image. That is only an overlay to help people who want to change the image. It won't appear on the saved image.

Relax, the white grid isn't permanent..

Next go to the 'File' button at the top left of the screen. It's directly to the left of the 'Edit' button. Click on it and another drop-down menu will appear. Near the bottom you will see 'Save as...'. Click that and a save menu will appear.

Two things here. One, at the top it says 'Save in:' You will need to remember where you saved the image later when you are uploading it. In my case it says Desktop because that's where I do most of my computing.
Two, name the image. IrfanView will usually call it 'Clipboard 123' or something like that as a default name. I recommend saving the picture with a name that means something to you. In my example I called the picture "Trans loading screen". Easy to remember and fairly descriptive.

Click the 'Save' button at the bottom right of the Save menu and the image is now saved to the Desktop.

------------------------------
Now we can either resize the picture to make it smaller or leave it as it is.

Screenshots on my computer normally are from 50 to 200kB. This isn't huge for a picture (they can run to many MB) but George has to find memory for everything that goes into the forum and that costs money. So let's help him out.

I usually resize my screenshots down to 50% because I use screenshots to report bugs. The size or quality of the image isn't that important. This brings the picture size down to 30-50kB and more importantly makes the picture small enough to fit nicely into a forum post. Screenshots normally, as you would expect, are the same size as the screen which is a little bit too big for the forum by the time you put the name of the poster and the border in there as well.

My personal opinion is to put a smaller picture in and if someone really likes it they can PM you to get a larger better quality picture. But if it's a really great shot then put a big pic in so we can all enjoy it. Like I said before, there are some excellent images in the picture thread.

-------------------------------
So if you want to resize the image here's how to do it.
Start PIXresizer. You will see this screen.

Click at the top left where it says 'Load Picture". An Open menu will appear. Where it says 'Look in:' at the top make sure you are looking in the right place. In my example I need to look in 'Desktop'. Scroll down until you find your image name (for me; Trans loading screen) and click on the name. Now press Open (to the right and down).

You should now see your image in the top right of the PIXresizer screen (where the guy with the camera was).

On the left of the screen, click on 50% in the 'Select new size' section and a black dot will appear next to it. Check to make sure that the next black dot is next to JPEG in the 3rd part of the screen (it says Select file format). Then press 'Save Picture' at the bottom of the screen.

A Save menu will come up so click on 'Save' and you will be told that the saving of your new picture is complete.

You now have an image that is half the size of the previous one saved in the Desktop. It will be the same image name with (640 x 384) added onto it. In my case 'Trans loading screen (640 x 384)'

----------------------------------------
To get the picture onto the forum I upload it to an image hosting site and then use their link to load the picture into my forum post. There are often other ways to do this in forums and if you know of a way please add it to this topic.

Okay. I use PostImage.org. It's free and never given me any problems. If you use other sites please let us know which ones are good.

When their webpage opens you have to do 2 things. Find your image using their 'Browse" button and click on 'Family Safe' upload Fortunately the only distasteful thing about Transcendence is Microsaurs and they aren't too obscene so everything should be OK :) .

Once you have found your image and selected Family Safe click on 'Upload Image' and wait for a few seconds. The page will change and at the bottom you will be given about 6 or 7 links. The one you want is the 'Direct Link". It should start with 'http:' and end with'.jpg' and will usually have a lot of random numbers or letters in it.
------------------------

Back on the Transcendence forum you should to be in the Post Reply, Edit Post or New Topic screen.

Move the cursor to where you want the image to appear (usually between 2 paragraphs is good) and press 'img' which is at the top of the section where you are typing in your post text.
You will see two sets of square brackets appear with' img' and '/img' in them. What you do now is copy the direct link from PostImage.org so that it is in between the two central brackets; the first ] and the second [.

So it will look like

[img]http:............jpg[/img]

It is very important that you get the direct link right in the middle. If one of the square brackets is in the wrong spot you won't get a picture to show (damhik :)).

Once that is done press 'Preview"and after a few seconds your picture will appear in all it's glory in the preview pane. You can add more pics in exactly the same way. You just need to upload every pic you want to put onto the forum and use it's own direct link (PostImage.org has an 'Upload Another Image' button).

If everything looks OK then 'Submit' your post Easy.
-----------------------------

It may be possible to cut and paste text and images straight from Microsoft Word into the forum (I haven't got Word) and I suspect that IrfanView could also resize your images. This is just what has worked for me so I keep doing it. If you have an easier way please let everyone know. Thanks.
Last edited by relanat on Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stupid code. Do what I want, not what I typed in!
Ultimate Chicken
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

If you play the game windowed like I do: install Bandicam, run it and have it hook with Transcendence.

Pressing F11 key when you want (default for screencap). Screencapping with the free version of Bandicam won't have the watermark too.

Bandicam can even be automated, thanks to someone from the comments of my previous playthrough showing me how to do exactly that - a checkbox for that option, and an input field for the number of seconds between shots. Press the F11 key and let go, F11 if you want to stop. Since Bandicam is hooked to the Transcendence window, cropping is not needed.

Also, I use imgur. I'm a bit lazy and don't use that feature but it will resize images for you on upload. The only issue I have left is sorting through all the NG takes.

I missed a few magic moments when capping manually, prefer auto these days.
sun1404
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

When you post to this forum, below the Submit button there will be a couple of tabs, one tagged 'Options', the other 'Upload attachment'. 'Options' is selected by default, but you can click on 'Upload attachment' to directly post pictures from your computer. You can also insert a comment, which will appear below the picture, in the same frame. You can also choose to put the picture in line or not, though I'm not sure where it will end up if you choose not to.

Also, for quick saving of a printscreen image, Windows' Paint will do well enough.
Yes, look at my avatar, I have a wyvera type ship.
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Alternatively, use imgur to upload and attach screenshots. They provide the bb code and the images are online for a lot longer and larger resolutions.
This means you wouldn't have to resize images.

This is the preferred way if possible, since the forum has been prone to corrupting images.