APA Community Analysis AGAIN

General discussion about anything related to Transcendence.
TheLoneWolf
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

There was a Community Analysis of the APA in the topic Transcendence Speedrunning. But I would like a new analysis, given v1.1 is ancient. So with the new v1.7 APA, please let me know your thoughts!
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Tried it in my last run. A fun weapon to use, but not the most practical without a speedloader. Not as much threat to the player now, without the large range of damage, so a Phobos can be fought with less fear.
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I haven't reached that part of the game yet, but looking at the code it's a much nicer weapon. It's no longer a derp gun.
Mischievous local moderator. She/Her pronouns.
sun1404
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Actually I think it could now use a little damage buff, or maybe add some light shield/armor buster. I farmed a lot of Phobii in my last permadeath game, and it wouldn't have been permadeath had the APA been as devastating as before. I'm pretty sure I survived a direct hit with a level 8 armor. It wouldn't have been convenient to use against the ICS had Domina not enhanced it to 40%.

On the other hand, it is much harder to shoot down entirely, which is good.
Yes, look at my avatar, I have a wyvera type ship.
TheLoneWolf
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

George shouldn't have nerfed the APA. Phobos > ICS. Now it goes otherwise. Anything to fix this/anyway to get a previous Trans build?
gunship256
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

You can always overwrite the APA using a mod. The source code for the new alpha is here:

http://xelerus.de/index.php?s=mod&id=1511
TheLoneWolf
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

NMS
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

TheLoneWolf wrote:George shouldn't have nerfed the APA. Phobos > ICS. Now it goes otherwise. Anything to fix this/anyway to get a previous Trans build?
The change to the APA isn't a nerf. It does the same average damage. The main change is that it can get partial hits. Before, those shots would have either hit or missed completely. Since a partial hit is enough to destroy a lot of ships, this is arguably an advantage.

It takes 3 - 4 Phoboses to defeat an ICS on the intro screen (because they aren't smart enough to stay out of Avalanche range and get disintegrated once their shields are down). This has been the case since 1.1 or earlier.
sun1404 wrote:Actually I think it could now use a little damage buff, or maybe add some light shield/armor buster. I farmed a lot of Phobii in my last permadeath game, and it wouldn't have been permadeath had the APA been as devastating as before. I'm pretty sure I survived a direct hit with a level 8 armor. It wouldn't have been convenient to use against the ICS had Domina not enhanced it to 40%.

On the other hand, it is much harder to shoot down entirely, which is good.
If you're flying a small ship like the Sapphire, it may be unlikely that you'll take a full hit now. However, it's more likely that you'll take a partial hit. If you did take a full hit to a single segment of level 8 armor (without enhanced hp):
- P450 Hexphase, light ithalium, and transuranic are guaranteed to survive now, and would usually survive before.
- Carbide carapace with the full set bonus is guaranteed to die now (I think), but would survive the old version almost 50% of the time.
- Most other armors are guaranteed to die now, and would usually die to the old version.

Also, the new graphics are really nice.
TheLoneWolf
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

The APA has the same old range, right? Then its ok! Thanks NMS! And yup. The graphics now are kickass. The Phobos kicks butts. It doesn't look 20 turnings now.
sun1404
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

NMS wrote: If you're flying a small ship like the Sapphire, it may be unlikely that you'll take a full hit now.
That's my problem: It becomes that small ships are unable to take full hits anymore, and the damage possible to these small ships becomes much less than what would have been possible before. In my opinion the new possible is a little too light. Though this may only be noticeable on the playership. I guess no other small ships field level 8 armors.
Yes, look at my avatar, I have a wyvera type ship.
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

I'd say that it's balanced for the player. For the Phobos, it's a bit weak right now, but once the AI can handle it well at range again, that won't be an issue. The difficulty of the Phobos before came from the chance of it getting a lucky shot in, as its attacks were easy to dodge and it rarely fired at a distance. Once it can reliably keep shooting at a retreating player, partial damage from the larger shots will add up.

I was fairly busy today and missed today's stream - dif anyone ask George about his plans for the AI's range issues?