Kytryn Plasma Pods Unusable?

General discussion about anything related to Transcendence.
Yukine
Anarchist
Anarchist

Are kytryn plasma pods made specifically to be unusable at point blank range? My main strategy when facing capital ships is to stick to their tails like glue and take them out with overwhelming force while tanking whatever they're able to dish out trying to avoid their imminent demise :lol: I noticed the M5 Vulcans also have this problem but it doesn't happen as often, with the kytryn plasma pods any attempt to fire at extremely close range results in a waste of ammo :( ill be sticking with the NAMI heavy launcher for the time being. Edit: This is in version 1.7 alpha 1a
Xephyr
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Yeah, there's a failsafe range on them where they won't fragment.

Since the kyrtryn isn't really practical anyway (cost barrier, ammo availability) it doesn't get much attention.
Project Renegade (Beta) : "The Poor Man's Corporate Command!"
Real programmers count from 0. And sometimes I do, too.
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Also, Kytryn missile damage seems to assume all of the particles hit for full damage, instead of only a fifth like other fragmentation weapons. Kytryn missiles seem very underpowered.

Cloud weapons that radiate to emulate fragmentation weapons should be balanced like fragmentation weapons (i.e., assume one-fifth total damage).
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.
NMS
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Well, they have failsafe 6, so at speed 30 they have to travel 30 * 6 / 50 = 3.6 light seconds ~ 86 pixels before they're armed. But they should still go off if they collide with an object. If they're colliding but failing to go off, that seems like an example of this bug. In 1.7A they were changed from 36 individual fragments to a particle fragment, which doesn't specify a count, so I'm not sure exactly how it works. If the missile is inside an object when it goes off it may have a 50% chance of not creating the damaging particles. The damage was also reduced from an average of 702 for all the fragments to 500.

See also this issue for my explanation of how hit detection works and suggestions to improve it.
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

PM wrote:Also, Kytryn missile damage seems to assume all of the particles hit for full damage, instead of only a fifth like other fragmentation weapons. Kytryn missiles seem very underpowered.

Cloud weapons that radiate to emulate fragmentation weapons should be balanced like fragmentation weapons (i.e., assume one-fifth total damage).
They're actually somewhat better with the update. Still not practical, but miles above where they were.
Yukine
Anarchist
Anarchist

I'm giving the Kytryn launcher another run to try to discern what exactly is going on and I'm still not able to tell if its the fail safe activating or the fragmentation bug that's been noted. I can only get them to fragment semi consistently when I'm about a Deimos worth of distance away from a given target, but they're kind of growing on me flashy animation and all, they do decent enough damage and challenge me to use different tactics. It doesn't feel like an direct upgrade over the NAMI heavy launcher as the higher level would indicate, but maybe its not supposed to be, alien tech vs human tech apples to oranges :roll: As far as ammo goes the teraton fabricator contrary to what's stated on the Transendece wiki now replicates ammo all the way up to level 13, but maybe the wiki only refers to weapons and devices, I did try feeding it a level 10 fracture cannon on purpose and it gave back a level 9 ares positron cannon but I don't want to push my luck and feed it the level 13 undamaged quantum sphere disintegrator which now essentially serves as a trophy, cant install or sell anywhere :D