Twitch Series: Exploring the Expanded Universe

General discussion about anything related to Transcendence.
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

Today I'm going to be playing Wolfy's masterpiece: The Stars Beyond. I think this is a fitting mod for the inaugural episode of this series (which I'm calling, "Exploring the Expanded Universe").

I'm starting to put together a schedule for future episodes: http://multiverse.kronosaur.com/news.hexm?id=1634

Please comment on the tentative schedule and feel free to suggest more mods!
Xephyr
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Awesome! Looking forward to all of them.

Are you going to try to make one hour episodes out of all of them, or will you make episodes flexible based on the amount of content in each mod?
Project Renegade (Beta) : "The Poor Man's Corporate Command!"
Real programmers count from 0. And sometimes I do, too.
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

One more suggestion: If you like an example of a near total conversion that is unlike the regular game, there is the Star Castle Arcade adventure. A game should last no more than five minutes for most players. (Five minutes for those who are good enough to reach 20,000 points, then die to super fast mines, much like the arcade game. Less time for those not as skilled.)
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.
TheLoneWolf
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Woah! Congratz Wolfy! TSB is seriously awesome! You should try to include PSD or SMnM in any next series. They are pretty awesome too.

Any micromods or just TSB?
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Follow George's link in the OP to see the schedule.
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!

TheLoneWolf
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

PM wrote:Follow George's link in the OP to see the schedule.
Lol sorry for misinformed post.
gunship256
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

George, are you going to be playing with the G.O.D. mod installed or with some other way to get lots of money quickly and jump from system to system?

Some of the mods that are on the list work best later in the game (Trading Post Menu) or with lots of money and access to stations with higher-level items (Drake Technologies Alpha, Auton Assembly Hanger, Playership Drones).
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

I've always thought BTM was pretty cool, it'll be neat to see how someone else plays it. I'm very impressed that it and PDmod still work after all this time; it's a testament to backwards compatibility.
DigaRW
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

In the schedule, are you download it first before the schedule or when it was time to play it? I hope it wasn't downloaded yet until the right time, because I was preparing for a mod update in this week.
Still, I'm waiting my turn. B-)
Download Transcendence mods from Reinvented Workbench Project!
Click this link!
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

gunship256 wrote:George, are you going to be playing with the G.O.D. mod installed or with some other way to get lots of money quickly and jump from system to system?

Some of the mods that are on the list work best later in the game (Trading Post Menu) or with lots of money and access to stations with higher-level items (Drake Technologies Alpha, Auton Assembly Hanger, Playership Drones).
I can certainly do that. I think before each episode I'll solicit advice on the right way to set it up. It might also help to group mods by area (e.g., all mods that are best in Ungoverned Territories in one episode). Please let me know of those kinds of requirements here and I'll adjust the schedule.

My primary goal is to show off the cool parts of the mods, so whatever it takes to do that is fine by me.
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

Xephyr wrote:Awesome! Looking forward to all of them.

Are you going to try to make one hour episodes out of all of them, or will you make episodes flexible based on the amount of content in each mod?
I would like to keep each episode to 1 hour, which is why I'm bundling together several smaller mods into one episode. [Again, I'm looking for guidance on how much time should be devoted to each, so feel free to tell me and I can change the schedule.]
Xephyr
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

george moromisato wrote: I would like to keep each episode to 1 hour, which is why I'm bundling together several smaller mods into one episode. [Again, I'm looking for guidance on how much time should be devoted to each, so feel free to tell me and I can change the schedule.]
I don't think you'll have issues the way you have it structured - you could probably fill an hour with the smaller mod episodes. I was more curious about TSB/TBR, since they have more than an hour of content (though you also wouldn't want to be exhaustive playing them either, because they have a lot more than an hour of content), but keeping it to an hour is probably fair.
Project Renegade (Beta) : "The Poor Man's Corporate Command!"
Real programmers count from 0. And sometimes I do, too.
AssumedPseudonym
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Oh good, I have almost a month to tinker with TBR. That means I have time to get started on sorting out a few missions here and there.

…Seriously though, I’m looking forward to seeing you go through these. Having a developer actually poke at how his players have changed and added to the game (or occasionally just outright stood it on its ear) promises to be a lot of fun.

Mod prefixes: 0xA010 (registered) and 0xDCC8 (miscellaneous)

My mods on Xelerus: Click here!

Of all the things I’ve lost in life, I miss my mind the least. (I’m having a lot more fun without it!)
AssumedPseudonym
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Hey George, suggestion for the Multiverse post: Put a link to the Twitch stream in it. I showed the post to a friend mostly to show off that I was on it, admittedly, and he pointed out that there was no link.

Mod prefixes: 0xA010 (registered) and 0xDCC8 (miscellaneous)

My mods on Xelerus: Click here!

Of all the things I’ve lost in life, I miss my mind the least. (I’m having a lot more fun without it!)
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Just some quick comments about my mods to be previewed soon:

Suggestions for Trading Post Menu, List Ammo Compatibility, and maybe Quick Loot Ore are blatant attempts for the developer to see possible UI improvements and make their idea official in some way.

Auton Assembly Hangar and Wizard Auton are midgame, level 6 (or so), content. Probably best served by using cheats to grab them and play for a few minutes before moving on.

Drake Technologies Alpha is almost entirely about additional items, many of which are level 4 and up. There are lower level items, but they are somewhat basic, made mostly as starter equipment if I make playerships later. Notable items include the hitscan Beamers, dual-targeting beam weapons with custom targeting code, some launchers with unusual firing modes, howitzers with adjustable range, drone bays that function like detachable weapons, enhancers that add special powers (like 3-way, fragmentation, or other) to otherwise mundane weapons, ZapSats (alternative to shields). There is one quest line of sorts late in the game, but it is a bit cheesy and little more than an excuse plot to get the Tachyon Beamer or other antimatter weapon.