Mining pods

General discussion about anything related to Transcendence.
Peter
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Asteroids have a minimum damage threshold required (per hit) to mine
Hmm. Is that minimum damage, or minimum mining damage? Because I know asteroids require your mining weapon to have at least one point of another type of damage.
My dream is to one day discover that someone who plays transcendence lives near me and goes to my school. Then I can finally have a friend.
---
Why must I keep running into that wall, impossibility?
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Hit point damage. For example, in a level 10 system (e.g., Heretic), asteroids require a hit to do 11 points of damage to mine one ton of ore. If your weapon cannot do that much damage, it will not mine - at all, regardless of mining rating.

Mining ore requires two checks, mining chance from weapon (i.e., weapons without mining:x cannot mine) and meeting or exceeding damage threshold (mining laser's 1d4+1 damage cannot mine high level asteroids due to not enough damage to exceed threshold).
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.
Peter
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Ah. Ok thanks :)
My dream is to one day discover that someone who plays transcendence lives near me and goes to my school. Then I can finally have a friend.
---
TheLoneWolf
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

PM wrote:
TheLoneWolf wrote:We need ... a very low damage continuously firing plasma torch.
Asteroids have a minimum damage threshold required (per hit) to mine, which escalates as system level increases. Weak, multi-hit mining weapons become obsolete quickly!
If it goes high damage, players would start using it for combat! Any turn around?
TheLoneWolf
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Then plasma torch will become a blowtorch. Players will stick to enemies and crack their hulls open.
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Before 1.5, only mining rating matters, and multi-hits were more useful than slower weapons. Now, with damage threshold, a mining weapon needs to be damaging enough to mine ore in the first place. Early systems, threshold is only 1 or 2 points, no big deal. But later, the threshold curves upward.

Ideal balanced mining weapon (i.e., one that will stay useful for more than a couple levels) is your short-ranged, slow-firing, high-damage-per-shot weapon. In other words, a weapon that feels like a howitzer.
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!

Peter
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Before 1.5, only mining rating matters, and multi-hits were more useful than slower weapons. Now, with damage threshold, a mining weapon needs to be damaging enough to mine ore in the first place. Early systems, threshold is only 1 or 2 points, no big deal. But later, the threshold curves upward.

Ideal balanced mining weapon (i.e., one that will stay useful for more than a couple levels) is your short-ranged, slow-firing, high-damage-per-shot weapon. In other words, a weapon that feels like a howitzer.
That makes sense then that I wouldn't know about it, because I stopped playing for about 3 years so I've missed out on a lot of changes.
---
TheLoneWolf
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Earlier I kicked ass with a mining laser. Now its duh.
Peter
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

I used to just go the whole game through with a mining laser... Guess plasma torches are actually needed now :/
---
TheLoneWolf
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Peter wrote:
I used to just go the whole game through with a mining laser... Guess plasma torches are actually needed now :/
Yup. Mining needs a retweak. How do asteroids level up? Opinions?
Peter
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Yup. Mining needs a retweak. How do asteroids level up? Opinions?
I think mining definitely needs a full rework. Currently it is just a boring, repetitive grind. I don't feel like this really fits in with transcendence. Maybe ore should be more common but harder to mine (e.g. needs better equipment), or ore could be in almost every asteroid (to remove the frustration of not finding ore) but worth very little. I'm not sure, all I know is that I don't like the state mining is in right now
---
DigaRW
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I never use Mining Pod, because mining isn't my priority. But sometime I use that Mining pod for a trap for enemy convoy ship.
Wait a second, I just got an idea...
Download Transcendence mods from Reinvented Workbench Project!
Click this link!
DigaRW
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Peter wrote: Or ore could be in almost every asteroid (to remove the frustration of not finding ore) but worth very little.
that's a good idea, but I thinking more about it.
"Every asteroid in human space is have an ore at least one, but most of them is have very low value. There a ore that called Iron ore and always avaiable in asteroid in human space, that you can sell for 1 cred".
Download Transcendence mods from Reinvented Workbench Project!
Click this link!
shanejfilomena
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

DigaRW wrote:
Peter wrote: Or ore could be in almost every asteroid (to remove the frustration of not finding ore) but worth very little.
that's a good idea, but I thinking more about it.
"Every asteroid in human space is have an ore at least one, but most of them is have very low value. There a ore that called Iron ore and always avaiable in asteroid in human space, that you can sell for 1 cred".
I did Iron & Diamond, Lead ...a few others( not sure if they ever made it out of my computer )..but I discovered something : extra ore isn't really the issue as the challenge to getting that ore:

Humans thrive on challenge : this is how the mining system kept advancing and the OutLaw miners began to evolve into a more active faction.

If you do go ahead with ores:
You have to remember that the "Only" places you should find what we are familiar with the names of should be at or near terrestrial planets similar to those in the Sol solar system.

so creative new ores or alloys might really dress up your item list better then those that tried it in the past ( especially me - I am not that creative, unlike you guys :) )
Flying Irresponsibly In Eridani......

I don't like to kill pirates in cold blood ..I do it.. but I don't like it..
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Having asteroids spawn too much of one kind of ore will not work due to buying limits. Also, rin stations do not buy low level ore either.