Mining pods

General discussion about anything related to Transcendence.
TheLoneWolf
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I wonder where the Outlaws sell their ores...

I think that every faction needs to be active in their roles. By now, only the Iocrym are somewhat doing that.
TheLoneWolf
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Alright guys. I made a new mining system. Should I paste it here or in a new post?
Peter
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Alright guys. I made a new mining system. Should I paste it here or in a new post?
Sounds good. Just paste it in here, eager to see what you've got.
My dream is to one day discover that someone who plays transcendence lives near me and goes to my school. Then I can finally have a friend.
---
Why must I keep running into that wall, impossibility?
TheLoneWolf
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Alright guys. I -may- have stumbled upon a solid idea for mining system.

Asteroid levels:
Sure there are some rocks harder to crack than the rest. These are the rocks that -are known- to bear -certain- minerals and resources. And rocks are like, everywhere! So asteroid levels will henceforth follow this formula:
Level of an asteroid is directly propotional to the ratio of percentage of rare mineral content to common mineral content contained in it.
Level of asteroid (L) isDirPropTo Rare mineral % (R%) : Common mineral % (C%)

This, by far, is our most important formula. And IT CAN BE USED INDEPENDENTLY!

L isDirPropTo R%:C%

L = (S)(N)(R%/C%)

Where S and N are the constants of propotionality and refer to the size of the asteroid and the nature of the asteroid (volcanic, icy, etc) respectively.

So going by this formula, asteroids MUST NOT be limited to having one type of ore content in an asteroid. And here comes another follow-up formula:

The tonnage of minerals the asteroid contains is directly propotional to its size.

From both formulae, we can conclude that:

The level of an asteroid depends on its size, nature, and mineral content. The size of an asteroid, in turn, limits the tonnage of mineral content an asteroid may carry.

Asteroid Spawning
As I -clearly- redefined the asteroid level system above, why not the spawning system? Earlier asteroid levels were dependent almost purely on its nature. Well, not this time! By the above system, we can have high level asteroids even back at Eradani. But before you run out of your house, shouting "Unbalanced!" and other such words, please fully hear (or rather read) me out.
To stop volcanic and icy asteroid types appearing in, say Eradani, here is a formula from the vanilla game:
The nature of an asteroid is directly dependent upon the topography of the system.

So now, it doesn't mean that volcanic asteroids can always give a better yield than plain ol' rocky ones!

The type of mineral content of an asteroid depends on its nature.

The rarity and types of mineral content are somewhat bound to the nature of an asteroid.

It turns out that other asteroid types can yield better than rocky ones. But then:

A volcanic asteroid cannot contain fuel ores like Helium Regolith or other volatile material. An icy asteroid has a low chance of easily available metallic ore. A rocky asteroid can house both.

And then

The metallic content, if any, in a volcanic asteroid, is always <uncommon>, <rare> and/or <very rare>. The fuel content of an icy asteroid also has the same attributes, but has a chance of having <common> and/or <uncommon> metallic content. A rocky asteroid can have <common>, <uncommon> and/or <rare> content of both types of ores.

Yup. It does mean that an asteroid lurking in Eradani can have <rare> mineral content in it. But farming it is another matter, as explained in the next section.

Asteroid Layering:
If ogres can have onion layers, why not asteroids? Asteroid Layering can be defined as mineral layers in an asteroid. These aren't realio and truelio in our real world, and exist for the sake of gameplay. This system has -some- realio truelo stuff too.

According to this system:

An asteroid has a number of mineral layers, with the outermost layer composing of the lowest attribute and the inner layers having the highest.

In a nutshell, common ore outside, rarer ore inside.

Power of Mining and Asteroid threshold:
The old system's biggest problem is executed! Now, you can mine those layers, no matter if the level is 100 or 1, by ANY equipment with a mining rating. How?

We first need to define asteroid threshold:
Asteroid threshold can be defined as a hidden HP stat of an asteroid. When it reaches a certain level, a layer is breached and corresponding ore comes out.

And now, the Mining Power:
The mining power of an equipment can be defined as the rate by which it breaks the Asteroid threshold.

And last:
Mining Power = Damage of Equipment * Mining Rating

It means that even if a weapon does 10 damage to an enemy ship, but has mining7, it can do 70 damage to an asteroid threshold.

When you hit an asteroid, common ore comes out in a jiffy. If you keep hitting it, the other variety starts coming out soon.
They come even sooner with a Plasma Torch.

Formula for Asteroid Threshold:
The asteroid threshold is directly propotional to the size of the object and the percentage of metallic content in it.

I hate chance in a game, and always love when it depends on your skill. So, to make things fair:
The empty layer of an asteroid is an unyielding layer. It is the outermost covering. After it is breached, the most common ore comes out. Its HP is higher if there is rarer ore in the asteroid. Its HP is also decided with the Asteroid Threshold.

This system is 4hrs of my life.
TheLoneWolf
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

New Way to Collect Ore:
As you slow down to a crawl when on a stargate, you slow down to a crawl on an ore to collect it. This provides a faster way of collecting ore.
Peter
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

TheLoneWolf
Ok, I'm not even going to bother quoting you, I'll just put your name in there. That is one long post.

I admire your work and dedication to this topic! That was absolutely amazing and sounds like the solution I think we've all (or at least some of us) been waiting for. Good job!

By any chance have you/do you plan to code this? If not, I would love to give it a try but would most likely hit many barriers and end up frustrated. I hope this becomes a thing now!
My dream is to one day discover that someone who plays transcendence lives near me and goes to my school. Then I can finally have a friend.
---
Peter
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Keep up the good work LoneWolf ;)
---
TheLoneWolf
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Thanks Peter! I have some plans to code it, after I get better at modding! Maybe we can code it together ;)
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

TheLoneWolf wrote:I wonder where the Outlaws sell their ores...

I think that every faction needs to be active in their roles. By now, only the Iocrym are somewhat doing that.
Outlaws do not sell their ore. They are simply targets waiting to be robbed and killed by the player. Afterwards, maybe the player can turn the Outlaw's wrecked station into yet another storage place, after confirming no presence of Salvagers.
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.
TheLoneWolf
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

PM wrote:
TheLoneWolf wrote:I wonder where the Outlaws sell their ores...

Outlaws do not sell their ore. They are simply targets waiting to be robbed and killed by the player. Afterwards, maybe the player can turn the Outlaw's wrecked station into yet another storage place, after confirming no presence of Salvagers.
I was better off not knowing that xD
Peter
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

I was better off not knowing that xD
PM the dream crusher

Maybe once outlaw bases have been destroyed (I'm thinking of something which can be added to the mining overhaul mod if it happens) you can turn them into mining rigs which help you in some way. e.g. smelt your ore there (I know there is an ore smelting mod), dispatch mining autons from there, upgrade your mining laser, etc.

Thanks Peter! I have some plans to code it, after I get better at modding! Maybe we can code it together ;)
Sounds awesome!
---