QUIZ! What Starter Ship Is For You?!

General discussion about anything related to Transcendence.
TheLoneWolf
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Hey guys. So I made this lil' quiz in my free time. It aims at telling you what ship to choose! Please try it and suggest any improvements. It can be found HERE
DigaRW
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Nice work. I got my basic ship, Sapphire.
Download Transcendence mods from Reinvented Workbench Project!
Click this link!
TheLoneWolf
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

DigaRW wrote:Nice work. I got my basic ship, Sapphire.
Mine is Wolfen, outweighting other ships 5 to 2.
TheLoneWolf
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Scores are

Wolfen @ 1
Sapphire @ 3
EI500 @ 0

Cmon people! We Wolfen folk mustn't lose!
AdmiralZo
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Well, I got the Sapphire as my ship. :D I like both mining and fighting. I made almost a million credits on one volcanic asteroid belt!!
TheLoneWolf
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

AdmiralZo wrote:Well, I got the Sapphire as my ship. :D I like both mining and fighting. I made almost a million credits on one volcanic asteroid belt!!
That was lucky!

Btw the Wolfen folk heard me, and scores:

Wolfen @ 4
Sapphire @ 4
EI500 @ 0

And I'm going to add new questions, and CC support soon!
gunship256
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Sapphire for me - nothing I wasn't expecting, though.

I *would* choose the Wolfen over the EI500 if those were the only choices.
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

I got Wolfen. I feel like the EI500's benefits get the short end of the stick in recent versions - the loot is generous enough that mining is superfluous, the extra device slots aren't of any real use in vanilla, and cargo expansions mean any ship can trade as well as any other.
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

JohnBWatson wrote:I got Wolfen. I feel like the EI500's benefits get the short end of the stick in recent versions - the loot is generous enough that mining is superfluous, the extra device slots aren't of any real use in vanilla, and cargo expansions mean any ship can trade as well as any other.
We need to paint it that odd cream/white colour so it can fall under the umbrella of the #SavetheMule campaign.

Speaking seriously though, I consider the EI500 to actually be the best ship for quite a lot of gimmick runs. Other than that, it's not bad....but it's not particularly good at anything either.

Still. At least it's not a Manticore.
Mischievous local moderator. She/Her pronouns.
TheLoneWolf
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Shrike wrote:
JohnBWatson wrote:I got Wolfen. I feel like the EI500's benefits get the short end of the stick in recent versions - the loot is generous enough that mining is superfluous, the extra device slots aren't of any real use in vanilla, and cargo expansions mean any ship can trade as well as any other.
We need to paint it that odd cream/white colour so it can fall under the umbrella of the #SavetheMule campaign.

Speaking seriously though, I consider the EI500 to actually be the best ship for quite a lot of gimmick runs. Other than that, it's not bad....but it's not particularly good at anything either.

Manticore is awesome! It gets its viciousness from Wolfen, versatility from Sapphire, and cargo from EI500. It takes parts from all of these, and yet masters none. I like the Freyr.
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Shrike wrote: We need to paint it that odd cream/white colour so it can fall under the umbrella of the #SavetheMule campaign.
That'd actually be interesting to see.
Am I really the only one who liked that ship? I mean, sure, the armor weight bonus isn't of any use in recent versions, but seeing as shields are fairly useless in early to midgame, it's actually competitive there. Late game, the free CSC services kill the cost/benefit ratio, as the better protection of a shield isn't offset by the cost of having to pay for more refueling and manual armor repairs, but before that point it really is a fairly decent ship. I think what it needs is a late - game focused offense bonus to make up for not being able to dodge or retreat as easily when it starts to really count.
Last edited by JohnBWatson on Wed May 11, 2016 9:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TheLoneWolf
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

JohnBWatson wrote:
Shrike wrote:
JohnBWatson wrote: We need to paint it that odd cream/white colour so it can fall under the umbrella of the #SavetheMule campaign.
That'd actually be interesting to see.
Am I really the only one who liked that ship? I mean, sure, the armor weight bonus isn't of any use in recent versions, but seeing as shields are fairly useless in early to midgame, it's actually competitive there. Late game, the free CSC services kill the cost/benefit ratio, as the better protection of a shield isn't offset by the cost of having to pay for more refueling and manual armor repairs, but before that point it really is a fairly decent ship. I think what it needs is a late - game focused offense bonus to make up for not being able to dodge or retreat as easily when it starts to really count.
It doesn't look that good. And it needs a better desc.
TheLoneWolf
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Scores:

Wolfen @ 9
Sapphire @ 9
EI500 @ 0

Looks like the EI500 is having the worst of it. I think I'm partially to blame, as I didn't do much justice to the qualities of the EI500. So if anyone's up, post some of those.

C'mon Shrike and JBW! Save your precious goliath!
TheLoneWolf
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

UPDATE

1. ADDED NEW QUESTIONS.

2. TWEAKED PREVIOUS QUESTIONS.

3. DID JUSTICE TO EI500 (score still @ 0)

4. CORPORATE COMMAND SUPPORT COMING SOON
gunship256
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

TheLoneWolf wrote:Scores:

Wolfen @ 9
Sapphire @ 9
EI500 @ 0

Looks like the EI500 is having the worst of it. I think I'm partially to blame, as I didn't do much justice to the qualities of the EI500. So if anyone's up, post some of those.

C'mon Shrike and JBW! Save your precious goliath!
The EI500 has a lot of device slots, but the game doesn't provide many devices to fill them. Atarlost's suggestion at this thread may apply:
The answer is increasing the variety of good high and especially low level non-weapon devices. And probably not making the player identify them, or at least not the low level ones.
I made a mod to address some of the concerns brought up in that discussion. It contains a variety of new weapon and launcher enhancer devices:

https://forums.kronosaur.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=7518