.98 economy

General discussion about anything related to Transcendence.
goat not sheep
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Cool. I just killed a ferian hive, and all of them missed me, and mos of them hit an asteroid. free ore!
>.<
Frits
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Right, the Ferians are not a threat and something should be done about it. I can sit at 2 inches from the hive and hit it at leisure, and even when i run they will give up the chase in less than half a minute, one after another lets off. I found a system with 3 hives, i mean seriously, after destroying one hive they know i didn't hit it by accident!
Partly this is triggered by the fact (introduced a long time ago) i can stop using the "."
(name here)
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

dvlenk6 wrote:A katana is only around 40,000 credits.
It must be that you aren't exploring/exploiting all of the income possibilities to not have 40,000, and more, to spare by the time you leave St. Katherine's Star. Or you are having extraordinarily bad luck with system generation.
It is harder now to gain credits; but still... You can almost make that much in Charon and St. K.'s alone.
I didn't clear out either, and i bought a 150, a nephron, shurikin, tev9 (couldn't afford the katana) and an R5.

EDIT: I did have bad luck, since i couldn't find any dealers or BM stations. after i found ringers i could beat all but ares capitals. will play a second game tonight.
namer4
Miner
Miner

I'd love it if some tweaks were made to reduce the amount of free money in the game, motivated by the belief that
1) When a part of the game presents no challenge, it tends to be less fun, and
2) More realism is better than less if there's no cost in fun, playability, or time-to-implement.

By free money, I mean sitting-duck Ferians, risk-free black-market missions, and armor-dealer fleecing.

Ferians: they're basically money buckets. Getting a decent omni weapon and a system full of Ferians means one can make several K per minute, at no risk. Sometimes I need some cash so I feel compelled to farm Ferians, but I take no joy from it, and I can't help but wonder why the Charon pirates ever bother going after freighters. I vote for making Ferians grouchy: shoot one and it shoots back, make the hive mad and it stays mad.

Black-market missions/drug running: they're basically going from point A to point B. I usually keep autopilot on and wish the path were shorter. Even some random nontrivial attacks would make these missions a bit more fun, e.g., other smugglers who want the player's loot. That said, I prefer the current system to adding more restaurant-style risk.

Armor dealers: price(improved armor) >> price(armor)+price(barrel). It seems kind of strange that I can buy two items from a armor dealer and sell them back for twice the price I paid. Why not just reduce the impact that barrel improvements have on armor price? I don't think it's a big deal because it doesn't impact the fun I have directly: the free money can be obtained more-or-less instantly so it's just a suspension of disbelief issue.

A final source of free money in 0.97 was Teraton nests. I haven't bothered with them in 0.98 so I don't know if this is still an issue, but given a heavy weapon they were sources of nigh-infinite rins because 1) defenders didn't much like to defend, and 2) Killing nest n had no consequences at nest n+1. If this is still an issue, I'd be a fan of making defenders more trigger-happy and giving them a low regen rate.

Chris
Frits
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

How about this for a lead? Where there's a hive there are Sung in the system, not a slavecamp perse. The Sung will fight the player as well as certain groups of low-tech pirates. The Sung take slaves who have to work as miners. Among the ferian miners live some important commonwealth citizens and you'll regret it later if you kill them all.
dvlenk6
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

(name here) wrote:EDIT: I did have bad luck, since i couldn't find any dealers or BM stations...
That happens sometimes. Not much to do about it when it does but try to press on.
"War is hell."
-William Tecumseh Sherman
http://dvlenk6.blackraven3d.com/transgals.html