Brexit, North Atlantic Union, and Transcendence Geopolitics

General discussion about anything related to Transcendence.
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I agree with Shrike. Trying to retcon early timeline game events based on real-life current events may end in disaster, especially if real-life events radically change polities that are assumed would last mostly unchanged for centuries, or if space travel and other sci-fi items do not pan out in time. Could make it clear that this is what happened to Earth up to this time then an alternate universe/timeline occurred and... stuff happened. Elves, orcs, facehuggers, and other space monsters appeared (via gene modifications and/or alien invasion), along with space pirates and space wizards. Then we have space ships, space guns, space swords, space tools, space toys, space clothes, and space pets to play with, and space food to eat.
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

PM wrote:I agree with Shrike. Trying to retcon early timeline game events based on real-life current events may end in disaster, especially if real-life events radically change polities that are assumed would last mostly unchanged for centuries, or if space travel and other sci-fi items do not pan out in time. Could make it clear that this is what happened to Earth up to this time then an alternate universe/timeline occurred and... stuff happened. Elves, orcs, facehuggers, and other space monsters appeared (via gene modifications and/or alien invasion), along with space pirates and space wizards. Then we have space ships, space guns, space swords, space tools, space toys, space clothes, and space pets to play with, and space food to eat.
That's a good point.

I agree that we can be a little vague about history so we're not constantly retconning. There's no need to be super detailed about 21st century events.

But big geopolitical events (like UK leaving the EU) don't happen that often. Once per decade at most. As long as we're compatible with those, I think we're fine.
TheLoneWolf
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

UK leave EU. Why am I finding this everywhere?
NMS
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

george moromisato wrote:But big geopolitical events (like UK leaving the EU) don't happen that often. Once per decade at most. As long as we're compatible with those, I think we're fine.
I think this may be overstating the significance. It isn't going to stop continental Europe from being among the UK's closest allies and biggest trading partners any time soon. And they could rejoin if there are reforms to the EU governance structure and/or they change their minds about the cost/benefit.
Xephyr
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

george moromisato wrote: But big geopolitical events (like UK leaving the EU) don't happen that often. Once per decade at most. As long as we're compatible with those, I think we're fine.
The history isn't really in much in-game content, so it's probably fine to change it around to fit current events. There's only a couple events close enough to modern events that we would need to worry about, too.

We might run into trouble again in 2024 if we don't see a lunar colony, but even that isn't particularly important lore-wise.
Project Renegade (Beta) : "The Poor Man's Corporate Command!"
Real programmers count from 0. And sometimes I do, too.
Ferdinand
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

george moromisato wrote:But big geopolitical events (like UK leaving the EU) don't happen that often. Once per decade at most. As long as we're compatible with those, I think we're fine.
Especially when you think of it as the beginning of the collapse of the EU, which is what many people hope the BREXIT will be. This is mainly because the EU is turning towards a form of dictatorial totalitarian union that totally disregards the people in different cultures on the continent.

In many countries there are already initiatives aiming at leaving or dismantling the EU. I live in the Netherlands and the petition to leave the EU had already reached enough votes to be taken to parliament months before the BREXIT. After the BREXIT it gained even more signatures in one day than it had in the past months. It will be presented to the dutch government tomorrow and they have to debate it and most likely have to call for a national referendum on it, like how it was done in the UK.

So it could be the starting of a much bigger event..
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

What currency would Eurasian Diarchy (clearly space Russia) use if the EU collapses, or will it be assumed that they just use the name Euros for some reason?

What is the Commonwealth? They sort of feel like space England or USA (with a penchant for British names). I have a hard time telling Commonwealth apart from NAU, especially since both use credits. It seems like NAU is just a subsidiary of the Commonwealth. UAS, like NAU, seems like part of the Commonwealth except they use Outlaw ships (plus Hercules and the endgame cruiser). UAS feels like Outlaws with good publicity.
Ferdinand wrote:Especially when you think of it as the beginning of the collapse of the EU, which is what many people hope the BREXIT will be. This is mainly because the EU is turning towards a form of dictatorial totalitarian union that totally disregards the people in different cultures on the continent.
Some news or blogs say this too, at least the EU breakup part, (the rest... mainstream seems to avoid) and I would not be surprised. Collapse of the EU would be the big geopolitical event if it came to pass. Of course, if more big things happen (and they could), it could be an upheaval of the timeline assumed by Transcendence unless it uses alternative timeline.
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

PM wrote:What currency would Eurasian Diarchy (clearly space Russia) use if the EU collapses, or will it be assumed that they just use the name Euros for some reason?
I see two possibilities:

1. They just use the same name. The word "dollar," for example, is similarly generic. We talk about the Australian dollar or the Zimbabwean dollar. Imagine a union of Turkey and Russia (both of whom see themselves as "European") who introduce the "Diarachy Euro". Eventually, the EU collapses (along with the Euro). Once the "Diarchy Euro" is the only euro, there is no need to have the adjective. Everyone would just call it the "Euro".

2. Or imagine that Turkey and Russia eventually enter the EU. Turkey is currently in (long-delayed) talks. And binding erstwhile enemy Russia in the EU is no different than binding France and Germany. All use the Euro. Eventually, much of Western Europe leaves the EU, in the same way the UK may do. At that point, the leavers either introduce their own currency or join the "credit" zone. The Diarchy is left with the Euro.
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

PM wrote:What is the Commonwealth? They sort of feel like space England or USA (with a penchant for British names). I have a hard time telling Commonwealth apart from NAU, especially since both use credits. It seems like NAU is just a subsidiary of the Commonwealth. UAS, like NAU, seems like part of the Commonwealth except they use Outlaw ships (plus Hercules and the endgame cruiser). UAS feels like Outlaws with good publicity.
I need to work on this so the Commonwealth feels different from NAU. The Commonwealth should be a space-born sovereign, with whatever culture results from that. I haven't spent enough time working that out.

NAU and UAS are certainly close to the Commonwealth--allied, perhaps. Just as much of international trade today is in US Dollars, much of space trade is in credits. Maybe NAU and UAS have their own currencies (or maybe not), but they happily accept credits, specially in space.

UAS is like Russia today. They're arms exporters. Their ships/weapons are inexpensive relative to capabilities. They may not have the latest tech, but they have good prices. Plus the UAS is not above covertly funding unsavory groups if it helps their interests.
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

george moromisato wrote: EURASIAN DIARCHY
The core concept for the Eurasian Diarchy is a union of equals between Russia and Turkey. Originally, I though the EU would be part of NAU, but perhaps some European countries would join the Diarchy. Greece and other Eastern Orthodox nations would be very likely to prefer the Diarchy.

But what would happen to Germany, France, and Poland in this scenario? Would they be on their own? Would they form their own union?
This is a wonderful thread !
I just wanted to point out that Greece will absolutely never ever join Turkey voluntarily in anything. They have too many centuries of hate between each other, and differences in religion is just one of the problems.
However if NAU sold some countries to ED, that would be totally possible. At the end this already happened with Cyprus. And it's not looking too well for Kurds now with the IS and Syrian crisis.

Sorry, I went a bit too political instead of future political. Maybe we have to identify an event that will overcome this social fragmentation and will be the cause of the creation of NAU ED and so on.
Blitz
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Just curious George, but where do the Indian subcontinent, Australia, and the entirety of South America fit in?
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Blitz wrote:where do the Indian subcontinent, Australia, and the entirety of South America fit in?
My assumption is that Australia is with the NAU, and India has already been discussed here. As for South America, the region has been in decline for a while now. It's entirely possible that they just don't have the economy or regional cohesion for a dedicated space presence. I could definitely see the NAU grabbing the successful South American countries, if any, so long as there aren't enough of them to dilute the power of the American or European factions within its government(which would naturally be opposed to introducing a third competitor).
Blitz
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

JohnBWatson wrote:
Blitz wrote:where do the Indian subcontinent, Australia, and the entirety of South America fit in?
My assumption is that Australia is with the NAU, and India has already been discussed here. As for South America, the region has been in decline for a while now. It's entirely possible that they just don't have the economy or regional cohesion for a dedicated space presence. I could definitely see the NAU grabbing the successful South American countries, if any, so long as there aren't enough of them to dilute the power of the American or European factions within its government(which would naturally be opposed to introducing a third competitor).
I have no idea how I missed that. My apologies. I just sort of popped in to take a peek at what Transcendence was up to and wasn't really paying attention...
george moromisato wrote:
Xephyr wrote:As for the APD and India, I think there's even room for yet another player.... The idea of this forces India's hand, which forms a conglomerate between several nearby nations to protect their individual sovereignity.
I think that's a good idea: India as a separate sovereign. India is a diverse and ancient culture, it could easily spawn dozens of smaller sovereigns even without conglomeration with Middle Eastern factions. We can add that in an expansion.
Some of the most interesting bits about India's foreign policy post-WW2 is that it's very interestingly neutral and independent. A couple of observations
- It was a founding member of the Non-Aligned Movement
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-Aligned_Movement
- They have a military partnership with Israel, co-developing some weapons with them, yet is relatively friendly to Iran.
- It buys weapon systems from Russia, co-develops a new fighter with them, but yet runs exercises with the US and Europe

This sort of powered neutrality is very interesting - it could make it an interesting a very unique basis for a space switzerland. In fact - this is the perfect basis for a faction which is a conglomerate of misfits forming around India as a way to safeguard their neutrality and sovereignty. Which ones are the misfits is an open question (south and central american countries and switzerland are candidates), but the faction theme needs to be that it's a disjointed conglomerate - all sorts of architectural styles, weapon types etc. for the ships and stations and items - some borrowed from the other factions - except for a giant flag, color or other identifier, but generally powerful. It can also be a safe harbor for some of the less xenophobic and lawless minor pirate factions, if that sounds like an interesting twist.
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Turkey might join a Russian pact and abandon EU plans:

http://uk.businessinsider.com/afp-erdog ... ct-2016-11
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

digdug wrote:Turkey might join a Russian pact and abandon EU plans:

http://uk.businessinsider.com/afp-erdog ... ct-2016-11
Okay, that's just eerie. George must know something we don't.