Workshop enabled on Steam

General discussion about anything related to Transcendence.
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

I've enabled the Workshop on Steam, and I'd love it if people would start posting their mods (to populate the Workshop).

Here's how to do it:

1. You must have Transcendence on Steam. If you've previously bought CC and EP, let me know and I can give you a Steam code.
2. Opt in to the pre-release builds on Steam. Go to the Beta tab on the properties dlg for Transcendence.
3. Follow the instructions here: http://transcendence.kronosaur.com/guid ... xm?id=1702

Once your mod is on Steam, players will be able to download them automatically.

NOTE: This is all under development, so please let me know if you run into bugs.

p.s.: For all non-Steam players: My goal is to eventually implement a very similar system for the Multiverse. We already have a lot of the infrastructure in place, but I need a little bit more code before I can turn it on. At that point, the Multiverse will become a replacement for Xelerus.
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Hmm... I'm confused. Anybody have a starmap to the Core?

Are we using workshop as a xelerus replacement?
Tutorial List on the Wiki and Installing Mods
Get on Discord for mod help and general chat
Der Tod ist der zeitlose Frieden und das leben ist der Krieg
Wir müssen wissen — wir werden wissen!
I don't want any sort of copyright on my Transcendence mods. Feel free to take/modify whatever you want.
Xephyr
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I get the following when trying to use TransWorkshop to upload a .tdb:

Code: Select all

ERROR: Unable to initialize Steam API.
Project Renegade (Beta) : "The Poor Man's Corporate Command!"
Real programmers count from 0. And sometimes I do, too.
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

RPC wrote:Are we using workshop as a xelerus replacement?
My goal is to implement a similar system for the Multiverse. At that point, the Multiverse will become a replacement for Xelerus.
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

Xephyr wrote:I get the following when trying to use TransWorkshop to upload a .tdb:

ERROR: Unable to initialize Steam API.
I've made an update. Run the Steam client to make sure it gets the new stuff. Let me know if it works!
Xephyr
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

george moromisato wrote: I've made an update. Run the Steam client to make sure it gets the new stuff. Let me know if it works!
I don't think it worked.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Transcendence>TransWorkshop /uploa
d:Maverick.tdb
TransWorkshop 1.0 Alpha 1
Copyright (c) 2016 by Kronosaur Productions, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

Setting breakpad minidump AppID = 364510
Steam_SetMinidumpSteamID:  Caching Steam ID:  76561198209267191 [API loaded no]

WARNING: Unknoen[sic] extension type: TranscendenceUniverse
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

Xephyr wrote:
george moromisato wrote: I've made an update. Run the Steam client to make sure it gets the new stuff. Let me know if it works!
I don't think it worked.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Transcendence>TransWorkshop /uploa

Could you email me the TDB and I'll try to debug it? Thank you!
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I'm still stuck on the "game crashes instantly on startup" problem, and I'm not uploading things for a version I haven't tested them on...but once the issues with the steam API derping out are nailed down, I'll be trying to get an SM&M++ version uploaded.

Edit: One comment I've got right away: your instructions for steam uploads are really sparse. For people who've never used transdata or libraries, it's tricky to work out what to do (eg. SM&M++ consists of an XML file, three audio files, and some versions also include luminous spritesheets.....and your instructions only cover "single file XML" and "sorted perfectly into libraries"). I'm assuming it's fairly easy once you've got things worked out....but working them out is quite hard. We (and "I" specifically) are gonna need an idiot-proof list of what goes into an upload.
Mischievous local moderator. She/Her pronouns.
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

Xephyr wrote: I don't think it worked.

That warning is harmless (and useless, so I'll remove it). The program should have continued to upload the file (it worked for me with your file). What happens after the warning?
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

Shrike wrote:I'm still stuck on the "game crashes instantly on startup" problem, and I'm not uploading things for a version I haven't tested them on...but once the issues with the steam API derping out are nailed down, I'll be trying to get an SM&M++ version uploaded.

Edit: One comment I've got right away: your instructions for steam uploads are really sparse. For people who've never used transdata or libraries, it's tricky to work out what to do (eg. SM&M++ consists of an XML file, three audio files, and some versions also include luminous spritesheets.....and your instructions only cover "single file XML" and "sorted perfectly into libraries"). I'm assuming it's fairly easy once you've got things worked out....but working them out is quite hard. We (and "I" specifically) are gonna need an idiot-proof list of what goes into an upload.
I don't know exactly what is going on with the crashing. What I did is flip back to non-Beta (through the Steam client) and let it download the original version. Once I verified that it worked, I flipped the switch again to the new version and suddenly it started working. I cannot explain it, but it is working fine for me now.
Xephyr
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

george moromisato wrote: That warning is harmless (and useless, so I'll remove it). The program should have continued to upload the file (it worked for me with your file). What happens after the warning?
I emailed you back, but I'll post this here too in case others need to know.

I have a limited account because I haven't spent money on my current steam account yet, which means I can't upload mods to Steam workshop anyway.

If someone wants to upload my testing mod on my behalf with their steam account, PM me.
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

george moromisato wrote:
Shrike wrote:I'm still stuck on the "game crashes instantly on startup" problem, and I'm not uploading things for a version I haven't tested them on...but once the issues with the steam API derping out are nailed down, I'll be trying to get an SM&M++ version uploaded.

I don't know exactly what is going on with the crashing. What I did is flip back to non-Beta (through the Steam client) and let it download the original version. Once I verified that it worked, I flipped the switch again to the new version and suddenly it started working. I cannot explain it, but it is working fine for me now.
Curious. Might be that there's something missing in the 1.7.2 file that gets left behind when steam overwrites the 1.6.whatever installation?

I just tried it and it didn't work, so it's going to be an odd one. Since this has only ever happened with this update it's hopefully just a steam quirk that won't affect a non-beta.
NMS
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

That also didn't fix it for me, and neither did reinstalling. In case it's related, at first it didn't crash on startup, but after starting the battle on the intro screen, it would pause for a few seconds before continuing. And clicking the Mod Collection button caused it to crash. After a few times, it switched to crashing on launch.
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I've possibly worked it out, thanks to natraq on steam finding a workaround which gave a really good hint.

1.7a2 on steam is failing to update the settings.xml file. The 1.6.4 file won't work with 1.7, so the game crashes when it tries to load settings on launch. This also explains the crash when checkind keyboard settings: somehow it made it past launch, but then tried checking (presumably mouse) settings that don't exist in the settings.

For now, manually delete settings.xml if the game crashes on launch.
DigaRW
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

george moromisato wrote: p.s.: For all non-Steam players: My goal is to eventually implement a very similar system for the Multiverse. We already have a lot of the infrastructure in place, but I need a little bit more code before I can turn it on. At that point, the Multiverse will become a replacement for Xelerus.
Cool then, my account finnaly have some work rather than just for an ID.
Download Transcendence mods from Reinvented Workbench Project!
Click this link!