Reassembly

General discussion about anything related to Transcendence.
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Continuing on George's idea of gaining insight on similar games, did anybody play Reassembly (on Steam) ?
I only saw trailers. I'm definitely impressed by the colourful weapons.
TheLoneWolf
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I played FTL and a host of such Android games. In the end I want to port Trans to droid with renewed vigour!
gc2
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

The way I would describe Reassembly is building spaceships with Legos. I think you're certainly right about the game's colors being pretty; it's what drew me to the game initially.

There are several major factions, each with a predetermined list of parts (many of them locked at the beginning) that can be assembled into ships. Every part's cost is rated in the game's raw material, simply called "P" (still not sure what it stands for). Initially the player can fly any of the stock ship designs associated with his chosen faction, whose P-rating is quite low (200-300 range), but can make new designs at any time. The player gains more P by defeating enemies, and can convert P to "C" (credits, I guess?) which is used as money to unlock new parts and upgrade the P cap of the ship designs (up to 8000) that can be piloted/fielded.

The biggest plus with the game IMO is that there is a large enough variety of parts so that I can make specialized ship designs, such as missile boats with a ton of launchers, light strikecraft, well-balanced cruisers, destroyers, and giant dreadnoughts and they'd actually play like those ship types. The design process is also interesting in that ships needs to incorporate the right number of reactors to power the weapons, shields for defense, and the right hull design because a ship will fall apart easily if the structure is too flimsy.

Unfortunately, once the player hits the P cap, nothing in the galaxy can stand up to him because the AI in the game is utterly incapable of flying a ship properly (much worse than Transcendence where the enemies even know to lead their shots). In a similar vein, while the player can field an AI fleet, taking them into combat is an exercise in frustration because the ships can barely fly to keep up with the player. So just when a player manages to build up his forces, there's nothing left to do.