Fav Custom Keyboard Layout?

General discussion about anything related to Transcendence.
catfighter
Militia Commander
Militia Commander
Location: Laughing manically amidst the wreckage of the Iocrym fleet.

What's everyone's favorite key maps? I liked the older preset one fairly well but am now trying to wean myself onto this one.

My goal was to use the arrow keys for movement but somehow incorporate WASD into the mix. I was also trying to keep all the combat functions in one place (left hand WASD) and all the piloting functions in another (right hand arrow keys), with the misc other functions in easy reach but not so close they got in the way.

Are there more efficient keymaps out there, or more comfortable ones?
transKeyMap.png
transKeyMap.png (34.08 KiB) Viewed 3985 times
Behold my avatar, one of the few ships to be drawn out pixel by pixel in the dreaded... Microsoft Paint!

Day 31: "I have successfully completed my time reversal experiment! Muahahaha!!!"
Day 30: "I might have run into a little problem here."
AdmiralZo
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

I've never really experimented with custom key maps.

I'm just used to using space to fire primary weapons and shift for missiles. Your hands are in range of most necessary keys. Your one does look very efficient, although it would take a lot of getting used to. :D
relanat
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I've tried using the Up Arrow as 'stop the ship' and the Down Arrow as 'thrust'. I find this twists my fingers up less than the other way around because I thrust and steer more than I stop.

What I would like is to have some way for the mouse to stop the ship. There are a couple of good ideas in the Ministry but I don't know if they can be modded or need game changes.
This would mean all ship movement could be controlled with the mouse leaving the other hand to work everything else. Then the keyboard settings could be set up very compactly. This would fix the current default settings which have you stabbing about blindly all over the keyboard hoping that you hit the right button before you get killed.

The mouse offers a significant advantage in aiming fixed weapons IMO but not being able to stop or slow hinders this.
Stupid code. Do what I want, not what I typed in!
Astraltor
Anarchist
Anarchist

here's mine

not disaplyed: Z/X/Q/W are Use Item/ Invoke Power/Next Weapon/ Next Missile

ImageImageImage

http://pastebin.com/CFTMvqiK

Basically the idea is that my left hand is more or less over left homerow/asdf, and right hand on the numpad or mouse.
"You're supposed to have terrible aim in a barroom brawl. How else are you going to get everyone in the whole place involved?" - mucat