Aurelius Online: Multiplayer battle arena

General discussion about anything related to Transcendence.
Xephyr
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Xephyr wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:07 am
This also opens up the option of creating custom ships right in the game. NAMI ships in particular can be pretty modular, and IAVs could actually be constructed out of scrap parts, but that's getting a little to ambitious for the "anytime soon" timeframe.
Turns out this was a lot easier than I thought.

There's a limited number of parts available in the ship editor (separating ship parts is time-intensive) but it is functional. It might also be possible to render out ships in the game into graphics usable by Transcendence, which would be awesome.

I'm not positive that I'll be including the editor in the first alpha, but I hope to at least allow for different textures/paintjobs on ships.
Project Renegade (Beta) : "The Poor Man's Corporate Command!"
Real programmers count from 0. And sometimes I do, too.
Xephyr
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I might regret saying this, but I'm going to say that the first open alpha will be released in June this year.

I went and made some changes to the UI because it really needed some work. Here's the multiplayer server lobby:

This minimalist style is nice because it means that changing the color theme is really easy.

In addition to Versus and Team Deathmatch arena battles, I'm also working on multiplayer scenario maps, where two teams each have a capital ship to defend. The match can be won by destroying the other capital ship, destroying enough of the enemy team's ships, or having the advantage when the time runs out. The current scenario I'm working on pits a CSC against a Phobos, each with a complement of gunships.

Players can choose to fly a gunship or the be on capital ship. Players on the capital ship have a much better view of the map and can help to direct other players to their targets, and also operate turrets to shoot down approaching gunships.

There are different strategies based on your team; The Ares team's best chance is to direct the Phobos to the carrier, because otherwise the gunships would have to take out individual components of the carrier to stand a chance. Conversely, facing the Phobos with a carrier is a poor move, so the Commonwealth team should direct their (limited number of) Britannias to the Phobos to take out its engines. Either way it requires lots of coordination to win so I'm looking forward to trying it out with more players.
Xephyr
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Spent a lot of time optimizing graphics and shaders, so now the game is running smoothly even on my cheap laptop. It still needs some compositing work (reduce bloom, design space backgrounds better) but things are looking really good.

I've also more or less settled on the UI scheme, at least for the alpha.

Last push on the graphics will be on weapon and thruster effects, then its just a matter of coding and model work to get the alpha out.