Effects..help me out here..

General discussion about anything related to Transcendence.
shanejfilomena
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Ok, so I am NOT a fan of most of the new Effects....
but I was hoping for input

here is one of the most disturbing items ( to me ) I have seen that sets me off on the subject :

Seriously...how savage is THAT weapon ??? LOL
I just don't think it fits in with what the original weapon was pointing towards for a 2.0

And don't get me started on those Vampire Spikes from the kinetics.

Anyway, I am thankful George left a trail of these "Default" effects so I could follow them back to over-write them for my games to restore sanity ... but I was hoping to hear from others.

** the Iocrym Fracture Cannon has a Draw : not a default effect* : so it has to be edited manually
**Not all weapons carry default effects
Flying Irresponsibly In Eridani......

I don't like to kill pirates in cold blood ..I do it.. but I don't like it..
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

All the old effects are still supported by the engine (except for some very old pre-1.0 things that don't work properly any more). If you go to one of the old source downloads for 1.1, 1.2 or 1.3 you should be able to just copy the effect code, paste it into a copy of the new-version weapons (to get up-to-date balancing) then use that as an overwriting mod. Word of warning though: you will run into compatibility issues if you run any other mods that mess with the same weapons (unless you mod the procedural/separate effect entities instead of the weapons, which is far more complicated).
Mischievous local moderator. She/Her pronouns.
shanejfilomena
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Shrike wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:45 am
All the old effects are still supported by the engine (except for some very old pre-1.0 things that don't work properly any more). If you go to one of the old source downloads for 1.1, 1.2 or 1.3 you should be able to just copy the effect code, paste it into a copy of the new-version weapons (to get up-to-date balancing) then use that as an overwriting mod. Word of warning though: you will run into compatibility issues if you run any other mods that mess with the same weapons (unless you mod the procedural/separate effect entities instead of the weapons, which is far more complicated).
Almost all - some have been "modernized" : And you hit exactly what I was onto yesterday.

As may be known : I have taken on every weapon in the game :
including the Wor-Quen Void Weapon ( no longer in the game ).

and I was inspired by a recent movie I watched : Rising Sun
Quote from the Movie : Rising Sun (1993)
The Japanese have a saying, "Fix the problem, not the blame." Find out what's (Censored) up and fix it. Nobody gets blamed. We're always after who (Censored) up. Their way is better.
So...Most weapons use Default effects that call images :
I had to go after these:
Default fire effects ,effects type, Default projectile effects & default Hit effects.
They were not easily found all in one place either :)
but they saved me time & concern with the weapons changing from what the game version wants and what I wanted to see as progression of (or) just go backwards until something better comes up.
*** I did have to copy out images for the effects I wanted, but it was worth it.
I did NOT have to edit every weapon that made me think everybody that uses Steam was going to ask " OMG, what IS that thing trying to do my ship!!"

digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

aww, I find the new plasma effects extremely cool ! I really like them compared to the old style with the lines.

However I'm not a big fan of kinetic. I think they should be smaller. In particular, the more powerful is the kinetic weapon, the larger is the shot, take a look at the flenser and how large is that. :D
shanejfilomena
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

digdug wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:08 pm
aww, I find the new plasma effects extremely cool ! I really like them compared to the old style with the lines.

However I'm not a big fan of kinetic. I think they should be smaller. In particular, the more powerful is the kinetic weapon, the larger is the shot, take a look at the flenser and how large is that. :D
For the Ferians : yes, I rather the old style

For the Iocrym : I never liked the old style and I totally Dislike the savage appearance of the "new" style. if your going to spray : there are better effects -
like the Waste cannon : a nice cloud look
These large Plasma splashes look like just that - somebody opened the vent and it just pours out of the ship ...it doesn't look like a weapon as much as a timely accident in the engine room.

However, I rather see the old style in place until something better comes along.
I wouldn't mind something expanded
( effect-wise ) from the Qianlong archcannon for the Iocrym.

Grosche
Anarchist
Anarchist

digdueg wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:08 pm

I like the new ones but I seem to be the odd one out.
Last edited by Grosche on Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:38 pm, edited 6 times in total.
shanejfilomena
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Grosche wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:33 am
I like the new ones but I seem to be the odd one out.
no, you are not : it's perfectly fine to like the new effects, it's just that some of us refuse to let go of the past ....and some are trying to relive it : badly ...

I am more interested in how the game will present itself to new players : I easily got into the game because it was clean, well thought out and has so many holes in it that there is room for a Planet of Players to help put together extensions, images & proposals to power the game into the future.

I just don't agree that some of the explosions and weapon effects are in line with the game I spend my winter nights playing ( my winters are 9 months long with 22 hours of darkness)
so I kinda play this game Alot......