So I wanted to try the ion9 again in 1.7

General discussion about anything related to Transcendence.
Ferdinand
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

But unfortunately didn't get one. This is the second time I tried, previous game I had 2 mules with the stuff Dvalin wants.

So now I came to Dvalin with a cargohold full of stuff, and four mules carrying all the sorts of weapons and armor he desires in multitudes.
Easily got the Cerraloy armor, the Akan 600 turret and the Nano Sintered Armor. At that point I had 3 mules filled with items he wants left. But to no avail. After having offered everything, from Behemoth Howitzers and Penitent Cannons to Urak Armor, Dwarg Catoptric Armor and everything in between, almost everything was used as "ballast" meaning no points, most of the stuff was undamaged.

I remember from previous games (1.6) that I could almost always get the Ion9, with far less effort and never having to use 4 mules of stuff + my own 100 ton cargohold loaded with everything he wants.

So, anyone else got the Ion9 lately? How did you get it?
Ferdinand
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

And I've got it!
In the system past the Rasiermesser factory there were a Dwarg fortress and a Penitent Sanctum. Nearby the CSC Pacifica had settled down.
This caused massive uproar, as both the Dwarg and the Penitents did not go along really well together, and the zoanthrope hordes also covered the patrolling centurions. Everyone started shooting and soon the wrecks of Zoanthrope raiders littered space for many ls. around. A Dwarg Behemoth tried in vain to attack the Pacifica, while on the other end Atonement fighters were overwhelmed by massive amounts of raiders. But the raiders were in turn defeated by the Penitent station's harras weapon.
Soon the battle was over. The Dwarg fortress and Penitents had no ships left. The Pacifica had lost half her fighter complement and space was littered with wrecks.
I came along and docked at the Pacifica and they told me of the horrific battle that had raged. After some refreshments I went back to my trusted ship and went to investigate. Having been so disappointed by Dvalin I thought about the equipment that might be left on the battlefield. Sure enough, the wreck of the behemoth had weapons and armor to loot. But I ventured to close to the penitent station and they attacked me.
This got me mad and with a push on the fire button I ended their misery with a volley of Lucifer missiles.
Their station had a gem of despair, that could be useful! The rest was a lot of crap, so left that for someone else. The atonements had their Penitent cannons to loot, but unfortunately they were no longer useable. However Dvalin could perhaps do some research with them.
I spotted the wreck of a Dwarg master. It had its cnydosist weapon intact and some damaged armor. But looting it got the attention of the nearby Dwarg fortress and it immediately started to fire at me with its complement of Howitzers. It also had a couple of raiders left that came to attack me. They fell victim of my TM7 cannon that killed them both with a single shot. The fortress then came to it's end with another volley of Lucifer missiles.

And after looting the fortress and got their howitzers I backtracked to the previous system and was greeted by Dvalin in his lab. His eyes were shining when he saw my cargo and after I donated several items to him, he was very happy to give me the Ion9.

I promised him to test it properly in the field, after having finished testing another weapon I had not previously used, but I had found it in the recently discovered Citadel space...

So off I go. Hope you enjoyed it.
TheLoneWolf
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

My Dwalin's station got PWNd by a Worldship. Does it respawn?
shanejfilomena
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

TheLoneWolf wrote:
Sat May 06, 2017 10:30 am
My Dwalin's station got PWNd by a Worldship. Does it respawn?
It shouldn't, there should only be one : Rasiermesser doesn't seem to invest in Insurance for it's employees.
However, Dvalin isn't at each Rasiermesser Factory, He only appears at one in the game and
in many of the games I have played there was only One Factory......

To obtain the Dvalin Ion9 Cannon requires 800 XP ( XP is obtained by offering items to Dvalin )

However, the Researcher has a Lab full of stuff : your clue about not thinking he wants to pack a ton of stuff you found into his lab expecting a reward.

single items of respectable level and rarity are highly valued and as Ferdinand has described, backtracking maybe exactly what is required to provide the research Lab with what it would like to see
( especially if you have already dazzled them with many other trinkets : "Challenge Accepted" )
Dvalin will probably expect you do try to out-do yourself.
The Frequency of gifts expected are "Rare" and "Veryrare" ( and until you play dozens of games (or read the Source) you are almost clueless while in game about how often something might be obtainable by the player.)

Personally , I have done the Dvalin thing, but after taking the Lamplighter up against an Ares Commune (back in 1.0) ... I realized I Don't want to get my ship destroyed just because some Non Pilot thinks they have something awesome. So I have not been to see Dvalin in awhile.

But Maybe I should...but how do you go back after so long and not feel awkward? :)
Flying Irresponsibly In Eridani......

I don't like to kill pirates in cold blood ..I do it.. but I don't like it..
Ferdinand
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

I think Dvalin will be happy to meet such a legendary player again :)

There are some good uses for the Ion9, it is for example one of the few weapons that are really effective against Luminous drones, even if they have ion immune shields, because of the shieldbuster properties.
It is a good weapon against incoming missiles, and enemy fighters because of the spread.
Against cap ships like the Phobos it can be used to lower their shield very quickly to allow for other weapons like missiles to destroy its armor. Just don't fire missiles and the ion9 together, as the ion9 will destroy your own missiles.....
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Rasiermesser doesn't seem to invest in Insurance for it's employees.
heh, that would make a nice ticket.

Dvalin should move to another Rasiermesser station in case its own station is destroyed.
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

digdug wrote:
Sun May 07, 2017 4:44 pm
Rasiermesser doesn't seem to invest in Insurance for it's employees.
heh, that would make a nice ticket.

Dvalin should move to another Rasiermesser station in case its own station is destroyed.
I'd like to see that paired with my 'mobile Dvalin' idea from a while back. The overall concept would be that every Raissermasser station has a lab, and a Corporate Cruiser carrying Dvalin gates in and drops him off a little while after you give them something he'd like to look at. That way you wouldn't have to backtrack to meet him again, which feels sort of unnatural in a roguelike(especially one that doesn't 'repopulate' cleared floors after some time) and breaks pacing.
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Oh I like that !
With a bit of luck, it would enable players to get the Ion9, while still honouring the never backtracked conduct.
Ferdinand
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

I took the Ion9 all the way to heretic. Up until there it was mainly used against Luminous drones, very effective. Did not use it much in Heretic, in the beginning only for managing the pteravores together with my longreach. Did most of the missions in Heretic using my trustworthy TM7 and Heavy NAMI launcher.
When the final battle came, I was low on missiles and TM7 ammo. So guess what happened, I took on the Iocrym command ship with the ION9 and it went BOOM!

On my way to the core now....
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I'm not sure why you're having issues with missiles and the Ion9. It should be incapable of hitting your own shots unless there's a bug somewhere.

The real threat the Ion9 poses is its ability to knock out guns on capital ships: every time you hit the spot a weapon is on a ship, you can knock it out. While it's not as ludicrous as it was, the ion9 can still do this better than any other weapon in the game. This is bad for loot, but good for score and fuel farming.

It's still really un-fun to get, but it's a nice weapon when you do.
Mischievous local moderator. She/Her pronouns.
Ferdinand
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Shrike wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:11 am
I'm not sure why you're having issues with missiles and the Ion9. It should be incapable of hitting your own shots unless there's a bug somewhere.
I'll test it and if it destroys my missiles I'll file a bug in the ministry.