early game vs late game

General discussion about anything related to Transcendence.
Petrus
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

It would be nice if you could set a difficulty level that would multiply attack values for enemy ships, to give players a bigger challenge without making enemies obnoxiously hard to kill. If a "Hard" difficulty level was a 50% damage increase and a "Superhuman" difficulty level was a 100% damage increase, then a weapon that did 10-50 damage would still do that much damage if installed on a player ship, but if installed on an enemy ship it would do 15-75 damage on Hard and 20-100 damage on Superhuman. Perhaps even 200% damage increase with no saving as an "Impossible" difficulty level to give the expert players on this board something to show off their skills with. I would recommend multiplying the player score with the enemy damage increase, for those who are concerned about score.

This would increase the danger level without adding tedium. And also, I agree that wind and steel slavers are annoying (but not especially difficult except to a new player) and should not show up so much.

I also found that the "every weapon has 18 degree firing arcs" mod is great for making the game a little more challenging, since you can't just fly away from an enemy with the freighter and dodge its shots so easily.
F50
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

A very simple way of making difficulty levels. Actually, I like it.

Easy: +10% to all player resistances

Normal: Same as now

Medium: 18 degree arc for enemies

Hard: +50 enemy damage, 18 degree arc for enemies

Very Hard: +100% enemy damage, 18 degree arc for enemies, possibly a buy/sell multiplyer (makes things more expensive for player, loot sells for less).

Insane: +100% enemy damage, -50% player resistances, 18 degree arc for enemies, possilby a buy/sell multiplyer, starting equipment reduced significantly (no starting shields and less cash to start with).
Petrus
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Yeah it'd be nice to see something like that too. With the lowering of resistances, it'd be nice to have an option on the ship screen (s button) that shows your armor and resistances for each piece of armor. This would make it easier to keep track of, especially for new players, and everybody loves stat screens. I already mentioned that idea about 6 months ago, though.
Frits
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Betelgeuse wrote:It seems early game is alot more fun than late game even with the cool weapons in late game why do you think that is?
I've been meaning to respond to this ever since i read it but it's so hard to pinpoint the cause. And i haven't read the whole thread yet.
Early on i have more choice and also more factors to deal with. Like the first weapon i buy will depend on the availability of a laser collimator. Little money means i'll opt for a class II shield. Do i find a hotel, a tinker or armordealer? A korolov, then i want that omnilaser. I want to spend all my money to find out what each barrel or ROM does. Lots of 'needs' and all are often, not always, met.
From midgame i feel obligated and i feel like i don't have much choice.
Gotta find a fortress cos i need that military stuff.
Gotta have all those items to be able to deal with Dwarg masters. The tedious job of looting every hulk, now many more since the Dwarg were added. This is on top of the many wrecks the Sung leave but the items the Dwarg leave can be offered at a Rasiermesser ML.
Gotta collect those medicals cos i'm sure to be needing them late game. And also i should collect ores.
Gotta find those ringers to get that rinaccount running.

I feel like moving thru a bottleneck.
Frits
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Now i've read it :)
There's many complaints about large amounts of ships, the Vikings, Sung Slavers and the Dwarg. It could just as well be about Ranx gunships i suppose but they're great when applying the Akan turret. We always get these squadrons sent after us consisting of 3 thru 6 ships, i don't think i'd die fighting one Ranx gunship at the stage i just manage to deal with Heliotropes, provided it is only óne!

From midgame i find the Heliotropes a tough challenge but not when i have a good enough weapon. Then the Dwargmasters but i'm very unhappy with the Zoanthropes joining and the mess that comes from them. Finally the Sung citadels when my shields can go down.
I recall dying a lot off Penitents some time ago so they must be a good addition but from experience i learned how to deal with them.