Am I reading SteamSpy numbers right???

General discussion about anything related to Transcendence.
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Hmm... I'm confused. Anybody have a starmap to the Core?

https://steamspy.com/app/364510

According to steamspy, half of transcendence buys are being refunded (~6k owners to 3k owners). Is this true???? Am I missing something? I know stats sites like steamspy can be wrong, but this is pretty alarming if true.
Tutorial List on the Wiki and Installing Mods
Get on Discord for mod help and general chat
Der Tod ist der zeitlose Frieden und das leben ist der Krieg
Wir müssen wissen — wir werden wissen!
I don't want any sort of copyright on my Transcendence mods. Feel free to take/modify whatever you want.
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

That's absolutely wrong. The current refund rate (and it's been consistent since the beginning) is about 5%.
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Hmm... I'm confused. Anybody have a starmap to the Core?

Ah ok, good to know. I was just looking for analytics of the game when the steamspy data came up.
Tutorial List on the Wiki and Installing Mods
Get on Discord for mod help and general chat
Der Tod ist der zeitlose Frieden und das leben ist der Krieg
Wir müssen wissen — wir werden wissen!
I don't want any sort of copyright on my Transcendence mods. Feel free to take/modify whatever you want.
Watch TV, Do Nothing
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Margin of error is +/- 1,710. Pretty much all that variation is within the margin of error.
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

What I'd like to do--but I don't have time to do it--is data mine all the player data on the Multiverse.

For instance, it should be possible to analyze game epitaph statistics to see what percentage of new players get to a certain system (St Kats' for example) before quitting. I bet it's low, but I'd love to know where they quit. If most new players quit in Eridani, that's different than if they quit later.
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

The negative reviews on Steam are all from people that didn't even manage to exit Eridani. One guy, it seems from the comment, thought that the whole game was the Eridani system.

I would love to try to data mine the multiverse data.
StealthX051
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

I think the number of players not exiting Eridani may be skewed because of mod testers. At least for me, every time I get a new mod I start a new game to fly around Eridani.
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I have an installation of transcendence which I keep offline for testing mods only.
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

StealthX051 wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:32 pm
I think the number of players not exiting Eridani may be skewed because of mod testers. At least for me, every time I get a new mod I start a new game to fly around Eridani.
That's easy to check though: Limit it to registered games only and you'll cut out all the modders immediately
Mischievous local moderator. She/Her pronouns.
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

StealthX051 wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:32 pm
We can assume that George would only track registered games, given that the goal is to look at new players trying out the game. That aside, it's unlikely that someone would be testing mods without ever having left Eridani in the vanilla game.
StealthX051
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Yeah you're right