to steam or not to steam...

General discussion about anything related to Transcendence.
Femaiden
Anarchist
Anarchist

that is the question.

i've been playing the free versions for years now and i finally want to support development.
i can't decide whether it is better to buy the steam version or buy the expansions for the non-steam version here.

i know they cosr the same, but my concern is that the steam community for this game is virtually nonexistent. even george himself never goes onto the steam forums.
there is modding for the non-steam version, but the steam version does not have workshop mods .

the modding thing isn't much of a deal breaker because there seems tombe hardly any mods anyway and the mods i see on the kronosaur webpage, just have overpowered ships or like , debugging info(?)

if i buy the steam version, will future updates be automatic?
if i buy the expansions for the non steam version and then the version 1.8 comes out, will i have to redownload 1.8 and the expansions again? will it remember that i purchased them?

i prefer steam, not out of fandom, just that most of my games are there and i like to have them all in the same place. i have also been using steam for 9 years and my financial info has never been compromised.

so

i don't know if it is better to buy the steam version or to to buy the expansions through multiverse.kronosaur.
AssumedPseudonym
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

george moromisato wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:41 pm
For those of you who have purchased both Corporate Command and Eternity Port through the Multiverse (thank you!) I'm happy to provide an unlock code to the Steam version.

If you're interested, please send an email to [email protected] with your Multiverse account name.

Right now this is a manual process, so response might be a little delayed.

Thank you!

p.s.: This offer is both retroactive and proactive: if you buy CC and EP in the future, I'm happy to give you a code then.
 …So yeah, go ahead and get the Multiverse version and then e-mail George. As for updates, I know the Multiverse versions update automatically, but I can’t say about the Steam versions (I run Linux and can’t use the Steam version of Transcendence).

Mod prefixes: 0xA010 (registered) and 0xDCC8 (miscellaneous)

My mods on Xelerus: Click here!

Of all the things I’ve lost in life, I miss my mind the least. (I’m having a lot more fun without it!)
Femaiden
Anarchist
Anarchist

AssumedPseudonym wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:38 pm
…So yeah, go ahead and get the Multiverse version and then e-mail George. As for updates, I know the Multiverse versions update automatically, but I can’t say about the Steam versions (I run Linux and can’t use the Steam version of Transcendence).

just want to ask,
if i do buy the expansions through the multiverse site, how do i "email george"?
is his contact info listed somewhere?
also, when i buy the expansions, how do i prove that i'm the same person who bought them so that i can get my steam keys as well? will he just be able to look at my game account and see that i purchased it? is there like, an electronic receipt after i buy them?
AssumedPseudonym
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

The e-mail address is in the post I quoted — [email protected] — and he should be able to check your Multiverse account to verify that you purchased it. I’m not sure about the receipt, though.

Mod prefixes: 0xA010 (registered) and 0xDCC8 (miscellaneous)

My mods on Xelerus: Click here!

Of all the things I’ve lost in life, I miss my mind the least. (I’m having a lot more fun without it!)