Transcendence ship models

General discussion about anything related to Transcendence.
WeedersDog97
Anarchist
Anarchist

Has george ever released the 3d models for the sprites in Transcendence? i would love to see what I could do with them! What program and rendering settings does he use? I've got a couple of ships I would love to put into the game as mods, but I don't want them sticking out like a sore thumb.
You don't know the power of intersecting faces...
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Models used by Stars of the Pilgrim have been released. See the TransArt170.zip topic buried at Shipyards for a link. George uses TrueSpace to render the models.
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.
WeedersDog97
Anarchist
Anarchist

Thank you!
AssumedPseudonym
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

I’ll add in a few relevant snippets from one of the wiki pages. Light and camera angles are still valid, but camera distance is a bit further back than it was when this was written.
Rendering spaceObjects for Transcendence

To position the camera and the lights, imagine that the object is at the origin: The camera is 6 units away and 12 units above the object. The light source is 3 units to the left (as seen from the camera), 5 units behind [Note: THE LIGHT COMES FROM THE TOP LEFT OF THE IMAGE, “BEHIND” translates to “behind the ship from the camera's perspective” NOT “behind the ship from the ship's perspective”] and 5 units above the object (Note: treat the light source as being at infinity).

Acceptable facings for ships: 1 2 3 4 5 6 8 9 10 12 15 18 20 24 30 36 40 45 60 72 90 120 180 360

Another Way Of Understainding 3d Scene Steup

This section not directly from George, this is an attempt to further clarify george's setup.

Assuming a right-handed coordinate system:

* Ships's center of rotation is at origin. When ship is facing straight 'up' in Trans, it will be pointing down the +Y axis, the left and right side are -X and +X respectivly, +Z is the top of the ship (what you mostly see in Trans).

* Camera is located along the line -1y:2z, and points toward the origin.

* Main light (an infinite/sun lamp) is located along the line -1x:2y:4z. (E.G -1,2,4; -2,4,8, etc), and points toward the origin. Probably want shadowcasting on this one.

For a left handed coordinate system, swap X and Y (+X is 'foreward', +Y is 'right')
 Modders here tend to use all sorts of software for modeling and rendering ships, including 3ds Max, Blender, Wings 3D, and even POV-Ray (by a certain individual of questionable sanity who shall remain unnamed and may or may not be me). Also, I’ve been playing with George’s models a bit of late, myself. If you have trouble with the trueSpace formats, give me a poke and I’ll try converting them something a bit less obscure. I already have them converted for POV-Ray, and just recently finished an as-yet-untested run of OBJ conversions on everything.

And lastly: Welcome aboard! Drop a line on the UNID Database announcement over in Shipyards when you’re ready to put something together and someone will get you added to the list.

Mod prefixes: 0xA010 (registered) and 0xDCC8 (miscellaneous)

My mods on Xelerus: Click here!

Of all the things I’ve lost in life, I miss my mind the least. (I’m having a lot more fun without it!)
WeedersDog97
Anarchist
Anarchist

Yeah right now I'm using Sketchup, which I know, it's not the best software for modeling(don't give me that look), but it's suuuper easy to use. I do plan on moving over to blender soon, since it's much more compatible with unreal engine, but I'm touching up all of my models in sketchup first since I already know how to use that. If you ever have the time AssumedPseudonym, an archive of blender models for transcendence could be nice, since I'm pretty sure it's one of the most common 3d modeling softwares out there, but you don't have to go out of your way. Thanks for the info!