Some questions about engine capabilities

General discussion about anything related to Transcendence.
WeedersDog97
Anarchist
Anarchist

1. Any plans of moving away from sprite based? Is it even possible?
2. Is it possible to add the zoom feature used on the star maps to the gameplay view?
3. Split damage weapons? I know when was a kid, back when the Iocrym command ship was a literal doorstop and the stars looked like sea urchins, I used to open up transdata in notepad and add my own overpowered weapons to the game. You could do split damage then, it just wasn't displayed. Is that still possible?
You don't know the power of intersecting faces...
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

WeedersDog97 wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:31 am
1. Any plans of moving away from sprite based? Is it even possible?
I doubt it, given that we get these sprites from 3D models. There was a mod with vector images, but they were premade in a vector image editor, and were completely 2D.
2. Is it possible to add the zoom feature used on the star maps to the gameplay view?
It appears to be 1:1 right now, so I doubt it. The shrunken ship in the minimap doesn't look that great, so I don't think it'd work.
3. Split damage weapons? I know when was a kid, back when the Iocrym command ship was a literal doorstop and the stars looked like sea urchins, I used to open up transdata in notepad and add my own overpowered weapons to the game. You could do split damage then, it just wasn't displayed. Is that still possible?
I don't think there's a means of displaying it on weapon stats yet, but it's definitely still possible to implement that functionality.
WeedersDog97
Anarchist
Anarchist

That's a shame, I was really hoping to do a bunch with the scale of transcendence. Oh well. Thanks for the help!
You don't know the power of intersecting faces...