Transcendence, Dr Strangelove connection.

General discussion about anything related to Transcendence.
Cardinal
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

I noticed recently during some mining that I had extracted some Cobalt Thorium. As near as I know, there is no such real material, but Cobalt Thorium G featured in Dr Strangelove.

"Cobalt thorium G has a radioactive halflife of ninety three years. If you take, say, fifty H-bombs in the hundred megaton range and jacket them with cobalt thorium G, when they are exploded they will produce a doomsday shroud. A lethal cloud of radioactivity which will encircle the earth for ninety three years!"

Meh, trivia.
I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.
Boris the Cat
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Do you realize that in addition to fluoridating water, why, there are studies underway to fluoridate salt, flour, fruit juices, soup, sugar, milk, ice cream? Ice cream, Cardinal? Children's ice cream!...You know when fluoridation began?...1946. 1946, Cardinal. How does that coincide with your post-war Commie conspiracy, huh? It's incredibly obvious, isn't it? A foreign substance is introduced into our precious bodily fluids without the knowledge of the individual, and certainly without any choice. That's the way your hard-core Commie works. I first became aware of it, Cardinal, during the physical act of love...Yes, a profound sense of fatigue, a feeling of emptiness followed. Luckily I-I was able to interpret these feelings correctly. Loss of essence. I can assure you it has not recurred, Cardinal. Women, er, women sense my power, and they seek the life essence. I do not avoid women, Cardinal...but I do deny them my essence.
Cardinal
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Ahem... The Duty Officer asked General Ripper to confirm the fact that he *had* issued the go code, and he said, uh, "Yes gentlemen, they are on their way in, and no one can bring them back. For the sake of our country, and our way of life, I suggest you get the rest of SAC in after them. Otherwise, we will be totally destroyed by Red retaliation. Uh, my boys will give you the best kind of start, 1400 megatons worth, and you sure as hell won't stop them now, uhuh. Uh, so let's get going, there's no other choice. God willing, we will prevail, in peace and freedom from fear, and in true health, through the purity and essence of our natural... fluids. God bless you all" and he hung up.

Actually, I just googled cobalt thorium and got this page. Star-trek may have inspired the cobalt thorium ore a little more a little more that Doctor Strangelove http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Cobalt-thorium_device
I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

Cardinal wrote:I noticed recently during some mining that I had extracted some Cobalt Thorium.
This is definitely a Dr. Strangelove reference (not Star Trek--although there are plenty of Star Trek references).

I thought I also had a reference to CRM-114, but I just checked and I'm mistaken. I guess I'll have to add one...
Cardinal
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Thanks George :)

To your credit, finding little bits of information help keep players (like me) interested