Naming conventions

General discussion about anything related to Transcendence.
Fossaman
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

So, one of my favorite things about this game are the naming conventions used on ships. They're really fun if you know what they mean.

For example, the pirates: Corsair, Viking, Barbary, Marauder...Tripoli probably refers to the barbary pirates of Libya. Not sure what Drake is a reference to; possibly Sir Francis Drake?

The ships of the outlaw faction seem to be named after african tribes; Zulu, Oromo, Sotho...also the Mikeno destroyer, even though it's unused at the moment...these ships are manufactured by the 'United African States.' This sort of thing makes the game much richer, I think.

The other two sets of easily recognizable naming conventions I've noticed are the Ronin/Centurion warrior ships, and the Aurochs and Aquila 'latin animal name' ships (ox and eagle). What others have you noticed?
X-ray laser! Pew, pew pew!
> = = = = ۞
F50
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Natural phenomena.

Sandstorm, Tundra, Commetfall.
(name here)
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Aquila was also the name of the symbol on roman army flags, and the TEV9 has a story behind it's name. Tripoli is the place where the US navy first won any confrontation against the Barbary Corsairs. The slavers may have a story, but their names are also the names of some encounter type.
Yugi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Tripoli is also a city. (Well, I know for a fact it was around during the time of Alexander the Great, and I'm pretty sure it still exists.)

Tev9 I think is a scientific measurement of energy of some kind. At the very least it's scientific in nature, not absolutely sure about the energy or measurement bit. I remember it being explained in an old UTF topic.
Fossa wrote:and the Aurochs and Aquila 'latin animal name' ships (ox and eagle)
(name here) wrote:Aquila was also the name of the symbol on roman army flags
Yup, most of the roman army flags and standards were eagles. You both pretty much said the same thing in a different way.

Anyway, I absolutely agree that the names and variety of references is superb and definitely fun.
(name here)
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Terasomting energy value, it is a unit of measurement
Cardinal
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

What about the player ships? I think the Wolfen featured in Elite, and was a fairly tough ship to go up against.
I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.
Yugi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

(name here) wrote:Terasomting energy value, it is a unit of measurement
Yay! I was right ^_^

Sorta...
Cardinal
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Dwarg kinda looks like someone wrote dwarf but messed up with a typo. Done that myself.
I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.
F50
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

TeV -- Tera-Electron Volts

An Electron Volt is equal to one volt (= 1 joule per coulomb) times the (unsigned) charge of a single electron.