The missing recon mission and "Juan Carlos"

General discussion about anything related to Transcendence.
F50
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

I was searching the CW Fleet XML for the appropriate place to put wandering fleets when I came across a mention of a ROM that contained information for project lamplighter. Naturally I was curious to find out where this was in the game and why I hadn't come across it. Further searching revealed that a certain "Juan Carlos" was supposed to give you this ROM to take it back to a CSC. This "Juan Carlos" piloted a very impressive E1500 freighter named "Forking Paths". I kept only looking for when you could take this mission at a CSC. I found it under a tag labeled "<missions 1>" where coincidentally the recon mission was also situated. After more investigation I found that I usually started on "<missions 3>" which explained why I didn't come across that mission. This game I will make sure only to do the first militia mission so I can meet this "Juan Carlos" and his freighter "Forking Paths".
Cardinal
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Awesome F50, you got the skillz!

Just to get this clear... If I do only the first militia mission, I will be able to access the Forking Paths mission as the first CSC mission?
I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.
(name here)
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

wait, I always do most of the milita missions, and i've still gotten that one. I think mission numbers are related to fleet rank.
Cardinal
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

I've never recieved this mission at all, or heard of it until today. Do you get it every time you play, (name here)?
I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.
OddBob
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I met him in the only CSC mission I've played since several versions ago (don't get to CSCs much). Never read the ROM though - in fact I may have died before finishing it because I can't even remember what happens...

CPOILERS! STOP NOW!
=
=
=
here be spoilers and all kind of spoily text
=
=
=
=
Anyone manage to save him? Does anything happen if you do?
F50
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Oh! Its not the militia missions that have been preventing me from getting this one it is the med mission! DOH!

I said don't do any militia missions to prevent getting any rank at all. But then Fleet rank is separate from militia rank? All you have to do is not do the med mission.

I haven't been able to read what happens other than regular rank increase and possibly some bonus with Decker in case you fail with the scientists which I also recently learned was special in some way (still managed to get lamplighter even though I failed that mission due to the fact that the Aurochs was going around in circles 50ls away from the CSC).

And there's no guarantee that you will get this mission but you will only get it once if you do get it. It is a level 1 mission and I'm not sure if there is anything special about it other than a named character with an impressive E1500.
Last edited by F50 on Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
(name here)
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

only had it once, it's low odds.
FAD
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I just ran that mission not too long ago. Juan does have a nicely beefed up freighter and if you're rigged nicely as well, you should be able to save him without to many prob's.

I think F50's correct since I ran into that CSC before finding any hospital CSC's--I usually run into those first which could explain why the Juan mission is missed so easily.