Version 1.2 crashes on start

Bug reports for the stable versions go here.
wilk
Anarchist
Anarchist

Version 1.2 of the game crashes on execution (v1.1 works fine). The exception code is 0xc000001d (invalid instruction), crash address at 0x06813c0. I've disassembled this location and there is unsupported MOVSD opcode. It looks like the Windows binary was compiled with SSE2 optimizations enabled. I see no point in doing so as WinXP SP3 is still supported (at least download page says so). CPU is Athlon XP which does not support SSE2 instructions. Is there a chance for a working game?
wilk
Anarchist
Anarchist

Please reactivate this bug report as version 1.3.400.0 crashes in the same way at address 0x00298ae0.
TVR
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

You may have discovered the cause of Transcendence versions above 1.2 crashing on Windows XP, as in this topic http://forums.kronosaur.com/viewtopic.p ... 72ac2285d1

Unfortunately, we do not have a bug tracker at the moment, so it is impossible to (re)open a ticket. Since we have 4 subforums for bug reports, it is very unlikely that this post will be seen at all by George.
Fiction is reality, simplified for mass consumption.
PGP: 0x940707ED, 5DB8 4CB4 1EF5 E987 18A0 CD99 3554 3C13 9407 07ED
Bitcoin: 1LLDr7pnZDjXVT5mMDrkqRKkAPByPCQiXQ
AssumedPseudonym
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Try sending him a PM with a link to this thread. That should (hopefully) get his attention.

Mod prefixes: 0xA010 (registered) and 0xDCC8 (miscellaneous)

My mods on Xelerus: Click here!

Of all the things I’ve lost in life, I miss my mind the least. (I’m having a lot more fun without it!)
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

This seems pretty important bug and it leaves me a bit puzzled as I thought that nearly nobody was running 11+ years old CPUs (AMD implemented SSE2 in CPUs in 2003). (my poor old Athlon XP 1800+ went to pension long time ago)

However it seems that at least 2 people incurred in this problem and posted about it here.
I can increase visibility of the post for George by adding [George] or [Important] to the thread title, even maybe stick it to have it always on top until acknowledged/fixed.

Can anybody have a look at the source code and say if SSE2 instructions are really necessary or not ?
Source is located here: https://github.com/kronosaur/Transcendence
wilk
Anarchist
Anarchist

Unfortunately since WinXP has been trashed some projects also started to be released as binaries compiled with SSE2 enabled. Because this is a game using SSE2+ is somewhat justified, so if this change was made on purpose than I'll have to live with it...