No tinker

Bug reports for the stable versions go here.
Siddhant
Anarchist
Anarchist

I was playing with a freighter, and inspite of having a mule, i simply ran out of cargo space (blame the damaged goods) in Sanctuary system. So i decided to search for a Tinker in the later stations and revert to the previous stations to loot if i found one. And guess what, I didn't find A SINGLE TINKER till HD44594 (just before Heretic). I thoroughly checked the dual-systems, used system map ROMs, but no luck

I guess the probability of stations spawning in a system is based on a random seed. But I guess we should be given access to a tinker every 2-3 systems just to dispose things off.
SolarGalaxy
Miner
Miner

I don't think tinker stations spawn that far into the game.
Their spawn code is:

Code: Select all

levelFrequency=		"uccuu r---- ----- ----- -----"
Meaning that they are uncommon at level 1, 4, and 5 star systems. Common at level 2 and 3 star systems. And rare at level 6 star systems, which also happens to be the last level they spawn in.
In game terms, it means Tinkers can't appear after Jiang's Star. All Outer Realm star systems are level 7 and above which Tinkers can't spawn in. So you'll need to backtrack if you still want to sell damaged goods.

I'm not sure how you found a tinker station in HD 44594 since thats a level 10 star system.
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

It is possible for Tinkers to not appear in a game. It is unlikely, but not unheard of.

Generic arms and armor dealers can buy damaged items. Teraton fabricators can transmute damaged items into other undamaged items.
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.
Siddhant
Anarchist
Anarchist

I am sorry.. I put it wrong. By "till HD44594", I meant that i hadn't found it even in HD44594. It didn't appear in the entire game.
AssumedPseudonym
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Yeah, doesn’t sound like a bug so much as a case of really rotten luck and/or the RNG hating on you. That’s rogue-likes for ya.

Mod prefixes: 0xA010 (registered) and 0xDCC8 (miscellaneous)

My mods on Xelerus: Click here!

Of all the things I’ve lost in life, I miss my mind the least. (I’m having a lot more fun without it!)
Siddhant
Anarchist
Anarchist

Yes, mostly rotten luck.. but now that someone mentioned the teraton fabricator, i realise that even the fabricator didnt spawn! I had loads and loads of ringer collectives (once even 3 in a system).

I don't know the mechanism which decides the spawning of stations in a system, but surely something can be done to force it to spawn Tinkers and Fabricators atleast twice/thrice in the game?
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

It's best that some things be left to chance, considering this is a roguelike. If every good thing is certain to show up, there's always going to be one best strategy through the game. Indeed, I'd prefer a system be implemented that outright restricts some items from spawning in a given playthrough, perhaps as a manner of "hardcore" mode. If you'd like to mod in a way that forces a certain station to appear, the simplest method is to add one to one of the systems that are certain to appear, or add a system that is certain to appear and put a tinker in it.
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Chance is why CSCs and Point Juno stock Hyperions for sale sometime after 1.03. It really hurt when a Ringer Shipyard did not spawn and you could not obtain the 1 GW Hyperion any other way. Well, back before 1.1, Teraton fabricator could get you one, but it was a long shot due to the much more common megadrive in the item pool; not to mention how the fabricator worked was arcane, and player needed to be "spoiled" to use it effectively.

c = common, has a weight of 20
u = uncommon, has a weight of 10
r = rare, has a weight of 4
v = veryrare, has a weight of 1
- = notrandom, has a weight of 0
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.
Siddhant
Anarchist
Anarchist

Guess what? I started another game, and a Tinker spawned in the second system!
AssumedPseudonym
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

AssumedPseudonym wrote:That’s rogue-likes for ya.
 …I stand by my earlier statement. ^.~

Mod prefixes: 0xA010 (registered) and 0xDCC8 (miscellaneous)

My mods on Xelerus: Click here!

Of all the things I’ve lost in life, I miss my mind the least. (I’m having a lot more fun without it!)