UAS mine investigation bug

Bug reports for the stable versions go here.
Aspa
Anarchist
Anarchist

I'm playing 1.6 beta 5 Corporate Command, and just accepted a UAS mine investigation mission, which happened to be the mass murder event kind.

The mine had spawned right next to a Charon outpost, which had killed the mining ship. When I docked, I got a message about the mass murderer going for me instead of his (missing) ship... which caused an unpreventable instadeath. Pretty harsh I think, I kind of lost the will to play anymore.

On reload, I shot up the mine first before docking, but this made mission get stuck - it did not recognize me docking with the destroyed station. Flying back to the mission giver, I got told to stop faffing around and continue the mission.
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

I've always thought this sort of thing could be prevented by a sidearm of some kind. Either you could buy it at stations or the Militia/Fleet could give you one upon joining. Possibly both, with different guns. An AR14 analogue for civilians that could kill human criminals that lack armor, and an M4A1 analogue for military groups that could kill pretty much anything and fend off Teraton attackers.
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

JohnBWatson wrote:I've always thought this sort of thing could be prevented by a sidearm of some kind. Either you could buy it at stations or the Militia/Fleet could give you one upon joining. Possibly both, with different guns. An AR14 analogue for civilians that could kill human criminals that lack armor, and an M4A1 analogue for military groups that could kill pretty much anything and fend off Teraton attackers.
Eh, just letting the game handle the dead station more effectively + maybe handling enemy exclusion better should do it. You shouldn't have little items taking up space that much (although ID ROMs already do it, much to the annoyance of people over the years).
Mischievous local moderator. She/Her pronouns.
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

I'd think it'd work as a simple datapoint. WeaponLevel = 0 means no weapon, 1 means a basic sidearm for fighting off criminals, 2 means a military grade weapon.

Alternatively, just base it off military/militia rank, and add text that indicates the player gets a gun whenever a martial faction recruits him.
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Carrying a sidearm for situations like this is not unlike bringing medical items to increase survival chance from Teraton medical experiments.

Bringing a sidearm could give a chance better than 0% and worse than 100%. Or... for a really fancy resolution, add a dockscreen minigame similar to Gun Fight (arcade) or Outlaw (Atari 2600).
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

PM wrote:Carrying a sidearm for situations like this is not unlike bringing medical items to increase survival chance from Teraton medical experiments.

Bringing a sidearm could give a chance better than 0% and worse than 100%. Or... for a really fancy resolution, add a dockscreen minigame similar to Gun Fight (arcade) or Outlaw (Atari 2600).
Interesting. I like it.

Guns could also be a corporate factory product, something the Fleet wants donated, and a high end trade good.