Eternity Port, St Esperanza's Star, and The Morningstar's instant death:

Bug reports for the stable versions go here.
Tachyonfang
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

*****SPOILERS*****
Well, I admit I am not sure if this is a bug or not, but here goes:
I have played through Eternity Port 6 times now, and the following appears to be an inescapable event;
I make it to the St Esperanza's Star system, and the Morningstar Ship is right there at the entrance stargate; Quite literally at the same moment as I arrive, a horde of enemy ships arrive and open fire; the Morningstar is killed (even the wreck is blown apart within the next few seconds just from the sheer amount of enemy fire in the general area); Nothing I have been capable of doing has been able to prevent it from happening;
Is this event just, well, actually part of the plot? I mean, I have continued on through the game to the final battle with Luminous, and after defeating Luminous, the Morningstar ship appears again; the Luminous "main" station is apparrently inhabited by Morningstar (who just keeps saying that she is trying to get all of Luminous' drones under control, but hasn't gotten them all yet), while the Lilith ship seems to just orbit around the system not really doing anything;
As I said, nothing seems to actually happen after this point. Is that the actual end of the adventure as intended?
--Tachyonfang
Front Desk Clerk and Head of Technical Support at The Alcazar Hotel, Freelance Genius (IQ 163), and Chief Orchestrator of Various Plots For Universal Domination
"I don't get it-why can't I just shoot them? I mean, after all, they ARE the evil dudes shooting at us!"
Xephyr
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Morningstar isn't supposed to die, but as long as you're able to continue the storyline its a harmless bug.

After the final battle with Luminous, the main storyline is pretty much over. You can then backtrack and clean up any other subplots you haven't finished, and you "win" the game when you return to Eternity Port and choose to retire.
Project Renegade (Beta) : "The Poor Man's Corporate Command!"
Real programmers count from 0. And sometimes I do, too.
Tachyonfang
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Thanks for the explanation Xephyr; I really would not have figured that out otherwise;
--Tachyonfang
Front Desk Clerk and Head of Technical Support at The Alcazar Hotel, Freelance Genius (IQ 163), and Chief Orchestrator of Various Plots For Universal Domination
"I don't get it-why can't I just shoot them? I mean, after all, they ARE the evil dudes shooting at us!"