Random Crashing

These are old bug reports that have been closed.
Maloran
Miner
Miner

So, I've added a few mods and now most of the time when I try to start a new game with a ship I built the program exits when I click new game. Does anyone know what the problem may be?
Even the Dark Side has a shadow
Fossaman
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

It's probably some sort of syntax error if it's not giving you an error message. Try looking through and making sure you have all the semi-colons and slashes in place.
X-ray laser! Pew, pew pew!
> = = = = ۞
Maloran
Miner
Miner

It doesn't give me an error message. I get completely loaded and then click "New Game" and it closes out. What is the problem?
Yugi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Can you give us a copy of the debug? And what mods are you using?
Maloran
Miner
Miner

I won't be able to do that until Wednesday about this time... So look then and I'll try to have it on this thread.
palmiche
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Happened to me too. Mostly after changing the <Items> in my ship or when saving a game, selecting a different ship and loading again (without starting a new game with the new ship).
Maloran
Miner
Miner

It hasn't happened in a while but next time it happens I will put up the debug for it.
palmiche
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

My debug shows nothing when it happens...
Maloran
Miner
Miner

It happened yesterday and there was nothing in the debug... But I just started it back up and it started working. I guese its one of those things that just happens...
palmiche
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Maloran wrote:It happened yesterday and there was nothing in the debug... But I just started it back up and it started working. I guese its one of those things that just happens...
In terms of computers "random" and "just happens" mean "I did something wrong and don't have a clue of what". I'm sure the SEH mechanism of the game is working properly, it would be useful to be able to log exceptions.
Vasdema
Miner
Miner

It happened yesterday and there was nothing in the debug... But I just started it back up and it started working. I guese its one of those things that just happens...
Have you modded one of the player ships? In my experience a CTD at startup without an error message most often happens in Transcendence due to a conflict with a saved game.
May Domina embrace and protect thee, and shelter thee from the Eye of Oracus.
Maloran
Miner
Miner

Yes, however before I add any new mods I delete all of my saved games (this may be the reason I have never reached Heretic....) So somehow I doubt that is the problem.
Vasdema
Miner
Miner

Okay, lets go through it step by step from the start.

First, when is it crashing exactly?:

1. During the loading screen (spinning stargate)

2. When you select 'New game'

3. Other (please give details)

How many different mods are you running and do you have a modified Transcendence.xml?

Are you only altering one mod between Transcendence loads, or more than one?
Maloran
Miner
Miner

It happens right after I click "new Game".
ONe time learlier this week it happened clicking "Continue game" right after saving and quiting.
Vasdema
Miner
Miner

Hey mate.

I've been trying to duplicate the type of CTD results you've been getting, but the the 'New Game' crash is a bit bewildering.

You'll receive a 'Transcendence needs to close, do you want to send an error report' (under WinXP) if you try to Continue Game after changing certain ship values such as maxDevices (where the save game involved the ship changed).

As for a New Game crash however, I haven't had one myself while modding, nor have I been able to duplicate it, so you could either:

1. Continue bumping this thread to the top of the forum to increase the chances that George or someone else familiar with the problem reads it.

2. Isolate exactly which mod is causing the problem (I realise that's difficult if it's intermittent), and then post the changes made to that mod here.

My feeling is that it's a value out of bounds or a stray character that the internal debugger isn't mentioning.

:idea:

Once you find the bad mod, try printing it out. Perhaps it's a redundant string tabbed off-screen where you can't see it.