Stuck..... again!

These are old bug reports that have been closed.
Phaeton
Miner
Miner

Ok, and this time I need a solution. I went through more or less the whole game slowly as hell, so I wouldn't die, I wanted to get a leet score. Now, I went back to the battle arena, and I'm stuck in the wall!

How do I get out!
Yugi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Try jettisoning something and then dock with it. Keep in mind that this doesn't always work.
SparcMan
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Until this bug is fixed, would it be possible to implement a cheat code that makes you jump like 1/4 of a screen backwards or something. True, it would be possible to explit it, but if you made it complicated enough to use, you would really only want to use it when stuck on the arena wall. It's not an unheard of solution. If any of you ever played Daggerfall, there was a 'fall-through-the-world' bug they never fixed and they implemented a cheat workaround instead that places you back on the last solid in-world object.
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

I probably say this every other version, but this time, I think I've finally fixed the problem. Expect the change in the next version.

For those who are curious, here is the problem:

There are two ways to tell if a ship has hit the barrier:

Method A: See if the center of the ship is inside the barrier.
Method B: See if any part of the ship overlaps any part of the barrier.

Method A has one major problem: If the ship is moving fast enough, the center of the ship can sometimes jump from one side of the barrier to the other and the ship escapes the barrier.

Method B doesn't have the problem above, but it has another problem: Sometimes, after the ship bounces, the ship is still inside the barrier (which means that the ship tries to bounce a second time, this time into the barrier--making you even more trapped). This happens frequently if you are thrusting and turning while already trapped in the barrier.

My fix is therefore as follows: Use Method B, but if the ship is inside the barrier, use Method A to allow the ship to move even if trapped in the barrier (but never allow the ship's center to enter the barrier). Thus a trapped ship can always move away from the barrier and free itself. But it can never move into the barrier and pass through the wall.

In any case, I think this combination of methods will make it impossible for the ship to either be trapped or to ever pass through a barrier.