Freighters getting stuck in Arena wall

These are old bug reports that have been closed.
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

The title really says it all. Twice with the new arena (once in RC1, and just now in RC2), I've seen yellow dots on the SRS, which have turned out to be EI100 freighters, trying to bore through the barrier, surrounded on several sides by green from the hits on the barrier....

(Add-on: I just went to get a screenshot, and noticed a centurion doing the same. So it's not just freighters with blind pilots)

I think they are trying to get to stations on the far side....although I'm not sure where they're coming from.

Screenshots:

EI100 Stuck on South-East wall of Arena:

Centurion Stuck on South-West wall of Arena (Full screen screenie this time):

As well as being a mild annoyance, this could be a hazard in Arena battles if you are using a Morningstar. (If the walls still let some things through. I have yet to try the arena in RC2).....and maybe lead to an arrest for piracy. Although changes between RC1 and RC2 might make that less likely (again, I'm not sure)

Perhaps some kind of system could be added in RC3 or 1.0 so that AI ships avoid the walls? Possibly some kind of zone outside the wall that sends a trigger for the AI to change the route-points? I'm not sure how this could be done, but these Ai ships appear to have some seriously stupid pilots at present :P
Mischievous local moderator. She/Her pronouns.
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

i think it's simply an effect of the new stations around the arena. Some ships trying to travel from the station to the stargate will encounter an arena wall and get stuck.

and about navpoints, we have sysGetNavPathPoint, so we can eventually code some scripts to prevent them to get stuck (i hope)
Prophet
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

This happens to Kate Morgental's corporate cruiser, I can follow her back from the BM station, watch her get stuck and when I dock at the arena she has already docked (?!)

I would also like some way to clear the wrecks in the arena. Maybe a Mule-Zamboni could come out and shred them with a moskva or something?
Coming soon: The Syrtian War adventure mod!
A Turret defense genre mod exploring the worst era in Earth's history.
Can you defend the Earth from the Syrtian invaders?
Stay tuned for updates!
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

digdug wrote:i think it's simply an effect of the new stations around the arena. Some ships trying to travel from the station to the stargate will encounter an arena wall and get stuck.

and about navpoints, we have sysGetNavPathPoint, so we can eventually code some scripts to prevent them to get stuck (i hope)

That's what I was thinking as well. The only reason they're there is the new stations.....hence why they can get stuck :P
Mischievous local moderator. She/Her pronouns.
Fossaman
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Kate Morgental getting stuck is potentially more serious, especially if it's before she waxes the BM station for you. I nearly had that happen this last game, but she managed to work her way free somehow.
X-ray laser! Pew, pew pew!
> = = = = ۞
Wurmish
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Prophet wrote:I would also like some way to clear the wrecks in the arena. Maybe a Mule-Zamboni could come out and shred them with a moskva or something?
If I manage to have a station damager I do it myself if I'm confident in my abilities. I avoid it otherwise because cover is good against some opponents.
My first mod, mostly done, still balance testing.
http://xelerus.de/index.php?s=mod&id=789
Viperion
Miner
Miner

I once got Volkov before Rigel, and will get himself stuck against the wall as well. The one time I managed to get him to fly into the arena meant I could make short work of almost all the opponents. Then he let himself get waxed by Kate during the BM mission. I could have used him against The Slicer. :(

The Hyper Viper