Transdate, the TDB, Debugging, and other related issues.

These are old bug reports that have been closed.
PKodon
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant
Location: "Minocs. I've got a baaad feeling about this.... This is no cave!"

Okay, before someone says it, what I'm about to propose has nothing to do with "base modding" as a practice, but rather to doe with common sense debugging practice and consistency in the way Transcendence handles files, not to mention less clutter.

Until last night, I did not know that when Transdata "decompiled" the TDB, the files it extracted were not usable as is.

I was told that one needed to move those files to the main Transcendence directory for it to even see them, and then that the TDB had to be deleted, as it had priority over the xml.

Now, until someone suggested that I fix a bug in the Korolov.xml in RC5, all I used the source for was for reference on how to do things. So, thinking I was doing the right thing, I edited the Korolov.xml file in the TranscendenceSource folder, and assumed I had "fixed" the problem.

Now I learn that I did nothing but corrupt my reference files.

I have two solutions to this problem (and it is a problem, as others I've talked to had no idea it did this):

1 (The direct method) Have Transcendence consider that files in the TranscendenceSource directory (if present) override the TDB.

2 (Indirect, but safer) Have Transcendence continue to ignore TranscendenceSource, but allow for copies of source files found in an Overrides directory take priority over the same file found in the TDB.

This would allow those of us who are doing beta testing and debugging of the new releases to do minor repairs, without cluttering up the main Transcendence directory with xml files.
"Don't ask ..., I don't wanna know, and I don't wanna care!" - PK
Meet us on IRC --> Image
"... the hornet battlepod is the closest we have ingame to flying into battle in a wheelbarrow
with a bathtub nailed upside down to the top of it to provide armor."
- The Shrike
Prophet
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Very sneaky, I was wondering why my changes had no effect!

If we had the ability to use the <TranscendenceModules> we could plop the desired source xmls into the Extension folder like a regular mod.
Coming soon: The Syrtian War adventure mod!
A Turret defense genre mod exploring the worst era in Earth's history.
Can you defend the Earth from the Syrtian invaders?
Stay tuned for updates!