Saved Game chage recognition

These are old bug reports that have been closed.
PKodon
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant
Location: "Minocs. I've got a baaad feeling about this.... This is no cave!"

I don't know why I didn't notice this before (perhaps it's because of the new widescreen format of the intro screen), but, while we're polishing the game up for full 1.0 launch, here's something to consider.

I noticed that, if you Alt-Tab out of the main menu screen, then replace the saved game file with one that has you in a different star system, then Alt-Tab back to the game, it still says "Continue .... in [the last system you saved a game in]"

I wrote a ticket up on this, it's not really major, but might help reduce potential confusion for new modders and testers, if they read the location line under the Continue button.

http://wiki.neurohack.com/transcendence/trac/ticket/325

PK
"Don't ask ..., I don't wanna know, and I don't wanna care!" - PK
Meet us on IRC --> Image
"... the hornet battlepod is the closest we have ingame to flying into battle in a wheelbarrow
with a bathtub nailed upside down to the top of it to provide armor."
- The Shrike
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Nobody should ever rename a savegame while the game is running. That's just asking for trouble. What should be happening when you do that is that the operating system yells at you as when you try to rename debug.log with the game open. It should grab ./*.sav and mark all of them as in use just to prevent you from doing what you're doing.
PKodon
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

I didn't say that a saved game file was open. If you are in a game (have loaded a saved game and are on the play field), you can't do anything with a saved game outside of Transcendence because Transcendence has the file open and locked.

What I'm talking about is when you quit from the game you're playing (which saves the game and closes the saved game file) and are staring at the intro screen / main menu again. At this point, nothing you do with the saved game matters to the game, as supposedly nothing in that saved game is currently in memory, and when you "continue", it should be loading fresh from whatever saved game file is there.

So, if you're at that screen, and the saved game is closed, and you don't want to waste the time to completely exit Transcendence and restart it again (and I know this works just fine, as I've been doing it for the last 4 months now), all it needs to do is recognize that the file has been changed, and re-read the info about the file. Now, perhaps that cannot be done if the file is not open, I don't know how programs that see changed file states "know" it's been changed.

However, if you insist that even what I do is corrupting a saved game, then I guess I'll just have to waste 5 minutes exiting the whole program, waiting for Windows to finish it's garbage collection, then restart the program again, every time I want to see if something different happened when I went through the gate this time (or destroyed the station, or ship).

Or do you suggest that testing should take months instead of weeks, and we should start a new game every time we want to test something?

PK
Meet us on IRC --> Image
"... the hornet battlepod is the closest we have ingame to flying into battle in a wheelbarrow
- The Shrike
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I'm saying the game should be keeping ./*.sav all locked to prevent shenanigans.

You should not even be thinking of doing what you're doing.
Psycholis
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

PKodon wrote: However, if you insist that even what I do is corrupting a saved game, then I guess I'll just have to waste 5 minutes exiting the whole program, waiting for Windows to finish it's garbage collection, then restart the program again, every time I want to see if something different happened when I went through the gate this time (or destroyed the station, or ship).

PK
why in the world does it take 5 minutes to exit the program? i start and stop transcendence constantly and it never gives me issues..
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

That's gratuitous savescumming. Anything descended from nethack should make that as difficult as possible.
Bobby
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

PKodon wrote:Or do you suggest that testing should take months instead of weeks, and we should start a new game every time we want to test something?
Transcendence starts up in ~10 seconds for me and shuts down practically instantly, no big deal. Five minutes?
. Is your hard drive way too full? delete something.
. Do you have almost no ram? then you need more.
. Are you running Transcendence from a flash drive? put it on a faster medium.

If you want testing to be faster how about a "reload mods" button? (assuming mod files aren't locked when the game is running) That would save quite a bit of time for things like tweaking thrust nozzle positions, weapon effects, code intense devices, etc.

If you suicide the save is still where it was on your last gate/save, that works perfectly fine for testing. If it goes wrong die, then continue.
PKodon
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Psycholis wrote: why in the world does it take 5 minutes to exit the program? i start and stop transcendence constantly and it never gives me issues..
Well, let's see, if perchance I have Firefox running, with 50 or more tabs open, that takes up a lot of memory and virtual memory. Then, if I have a lot of mods in Transcendence, that too takes a lot of memory. I've only got 512 MB of RAM on this WinXP machine, and it's not so much the unloading of Transcendence, but the wait loading, if I'm testing mods for compatibility.

PK
Meet us on IRC --> Image
- The Shrike
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

If you have 50 browser tabs open you have absolutely no business complaining about poor performance.
Aury
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Somewhere in the Frontier on a Hycrotan station, working on new ships.

Personally, I don't care if people save-scum or not. :P
Makes testing easier though.
(shpOrder gPlayership 'barrelRoll)
(plySetGenome gPlayer (list 'Varalyn 'nonBinary))
Homelab Servers: Xeon Silver 4110, 16GB | Via Quadcore C4650, 16GB | Athlon 200GE, 8GB | i7 7800X, 32GB | Threadripper 1950X, 32GB | Atom x5 8350, 4GB | Opteron 8174, 16GB | Xeon E5 2620 v3, 8GB | 2x Xeon Silver 4116, 96GB, 2x 1080ti | i7 8700, 32GB, 6500XT
Workstations & Render machines: Threadripper 3990X, 128GB, 6900XT | Threadripper 2990WX, 32GB, 1080ti | Xeon Platinum 8173M, 48GB, 1070ti | R9 3900X, 16GB, Vega64 | 2x E5 2430L v2, 24GB, 970 | R7 3700X, 32GB, A6000
Gaming Systems: R9 5950X, 32GB, 6700XT
Office Systems: Xeon 5318Y, 256GB, A4000
Misc Systems: R5 3500U, 20GB | R5 2400G, 16GB | i5 7640X, 16GB, Vega56 | E5 2620, 8GB, R5 260 | P4 1.8ghz, 0.75GB, Voodoo 5 5500 | Athlon 64 x2 4400+, 1.5GB, FX 5800 Ultra | Pentium D 3.2ghz, 4GB, 7600gt | Celeron g460, 8GB, 730gt | 2x Athlon FX 74, 8GB, 8800gts 512 | FX 9590, 16GB, R9 295x2 | E350, 8GB | Phenom X4 2.6ghz, 16GB, 8800gt | random core2 duo/atom/i5/i7 laptops
Psycholis
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Atarlost wrote:If you have 50 browser tabs open you have absolutely no business complaining about poor performance.
seriously man. i know multi-tasking is in now, but unless you got the hardware, don't try and tax your computer and then make it like it's the program's fault. my computer is at the other end of the spectrum but i don't want the game built for that either because almost no one would play it.