The Game Stops System Clock

These are old bug reports that have been closed.
FAD
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I play this game daily, I'll even leave it loaded all day while pausing the game to do lifely needful things. But whenever I exit the game, I notice that my OS system clock is waaaaaay off! Sometimes it will even be a day behind, depending on how long I leave the game running.

Although it's really no biggie, it's just a nuisance to have to reset the clock after each game play.
Has this been addressed or has anyone else been effected by it or is it just my finicky PC?
Yugi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Well, that's a seriously strange problem.

I've never had it myself, though.
F50
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

I don't think it would be noticeable if you have cable internet though Yugi.
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

FAD wrote:I play this game daily, I'll even leave it loaded all day while pausing the game to do lifely needful things. But whenever I exit the game, I notice that my OS system clock is waaaaaay off! Sometimes it will even be a day behind, depending on how long I leave the game running.
I've never heard of that before. What OS are you running (Windows 98, by chance?)

The system clock is updated by an interrupt and normally you can't affect it with a program. But I suppose that a heavily CPU intensive program (like Transcendence) could sometime cause the machine to miss/drop interrupts.
FAD
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I'm currently running the game on Win 98SE no SP's. I've ran other heavy games on this PC and none have ever stopped the clock before.

It's really not that great of an issue since a few mouse clicks will correct it but I figured it should be known JIC any future players run into the same problem.

One thing of note that could possibly be helping with stopping the clock, I have my OS set to "goto sleep" after 25 minutes if there's no mouse/keyboard activity. During game play and if I've paused the game and been away from my PC longer than 25 minutes, my PC won't goto sleep when it should-the game screen remains on display.

If it helps, I'm using an AMD K6-2 500 MHz CPU with 512 MB RAM
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

This might be the problem:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309296/en-us

No workaround. But I will look at my sound routines to see if there is something that I can do...

Thanks!
FAD
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

That's interesting. So, if I'm using a repeater weapon such as the PK25 MorningStar cannon, the sound will continuously loop throughout the duration of firing the weapon each time, it causes the clock to slow down or stop?
I hope this doesn't cause a limitation with weapon sounds, as they add a lot of characteristic effects to the game. Love the sound of the MorningStar splattering on the hull of an enemy vessel.
Dosgamer3
Closed Account
Closed Account

FAD wrote:I'm currently running the game on Win 98SE no SP's. I've ran other heavy games on this PC and none have ever stopped the clock before.
HOW IN THE WORLD did you get Transcendence to run on Win98SE?!?
The requirements are Windows 2000/XP, aren't they?