[CLOSED] Ticket #535 "add a switch to syscerateship..."

These are old bug reports that have been closed.
Star Weaver
Militia Commander
Militia Commander
Location: . . . between the stars and the warm black sky . . .

Prophet: Good idea, but the trick is dealing with ships by other people that don't do it that way ^_^.
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

Star Weaver wrote:Prophet: Good idea, but the trick is dealing with ships by other people that don't do it that way ^_^.
I think the problem is that no matter what solution you pick, there will always be some people who will do something that will break your solution. You can't predict how people will create their ships.

I think your best bet is to pick a set of constraints that you're comfortable with and coordinate with the people creating the ships (either explicitly with an attribute or implicitly by convention).

[BTW: This is true for the core game itself. The opening "choose a ship" screen does not deal with all ship classes. In particular, it will not work properly with randomly generated equipment.]
Star Weaver
Militia Commander
Militia Commander
Location: . . . between the stars and the warm black sky . . .

Indeed, sticky issues of design are sticky.

BTW, George, you're totally kicking epic euphamisims in trac today :D.
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

If you want to optimize for device randomization, then I think you might be better off with creating a ship and suspending it (like the Battle Arena does).

But if you don't care about that, then I've added new data fields per sdw195's suggestion.

Code: Select all

(typGetDataField class "armorItems")
This returns a list of armor items (one for each segment). The items include enhancements, if the ship class defines them.

Code: Select all

(typGetDataField class "deviceItems")
This returns a list of device items (again, including enhancements, if any). You can use the filter function to subset down to weapons or shields.

Hope that helps!