version 0.96a and Wine (Linux)

These are old bug reports that have been closed.
kaibutsu
Anarchist
Anarchist

Hello;

I'm experimenting with getting 0.96a working under Wine. Previous versions have worked resonably well for me, with just a few random crashes, but 0.96a gives an error message on startup to the effect of 'cannot find shieldsHUD.bmp'. Someone suggested getting the resource files, which were made available for version 0.96 and putting those in the Transcendence directory. On doing so, I now get a new message, 'cannot find barricade.bmp,' which suggests that this is a good approach. The 0.96 resources do not have this image, though, so it would be nice if the 0.96a resources file could be released. (Pretty please?)

So I would guess (maybe) that something changed between 0.9 and 0.96 in the way the game accesses the image database, and that wine can't handle it. I'm no wine hacker, but I could help to fix things up.

Gotta go now, but will be checking back regurlarly and trying things out.

-kaibutsu
kaibutsu
Anarchist
Anarchist

Also, someone a month ago suggested collecting older versions of the game in a central place (such as the Mods site). Was any progress made on this? If not, I have some university space where I could put them up.

If anyone has a copy of 0.95 I could play with, please email me.

Thanks,

-kaibutsu
Yugi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

If anyone has a copy of 0.95 I could play with, please email me.
I have 0.95b.
kaibutsu
Anarchist
Anarchist

So the Resource Files workaround seems to be running just fine. Here's a step-by-step to get the game running:

1) Download the Resource Files at http://neurohack.com/downloads/Transcen ... ources.zip .
As of this writing, these seem to be for the 0.95 version of the game, and need a little tweaking. Unzip the files into the directory where you're keeping Transcendence.

2) Try running the program. If the Resources file is out-of-date, you'll likely get a message like 'Could not load Barricades.jpg.' Create a file called Empty.jpg in the resources directory, which should be a black 384x768 pixel jpg image, and another black image called EmptyMask.bmp with the same dimensions.

3) Open Transcendence.xml in your favourite editor. Search for the missing filename and replace it with Empty.jpg, or EmptyMask.bmp, as appropriate. Try running the game again. As of 0.96a, Barricades.jpg and BarricadesMask.bmp are the only replacements needed, and the game should run fine.

4) Have fun!