The Backroads — an alternate route

Planning, discussion, release and support of registered extensions, libraries, adventures and other content is here.
AssumedPseudonym
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Update of the (insert random time period here): Since I have to reassemble the spritesheets anyway, I figured I might as well wait on doing anything until I had d’Etat and Zyrran done up with the new paint jobs. I had forgotten how long d’Etat takes to render. Anyhoo, sprites should all finish up later today, then I’ll get started on coding everything back up. Once I do, I’ll probably throw another preview up despite the general lack of progress since the last one and leave it up until I finish my fortieth revolution around a fairly typical G-type star.
 …And I still need to get the mod on Xelerus updated, but I do at least have it generally to be updated…

Mod prefixes: 0xA010 (registered) and 0xDCC8 (miscellaneous)

My mods on Xelerus: Click here!

Of all the things I’ve lost in life, I miss my mind the least. (I’m having a lot more fun without it!)
AssumedPseudonym
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Update of the (insert random time period here): Progress is definitely being made on coding, but it’ll probably be tomorrow before I can get it done. In the meantime, have an animated spin of the Starborn Midheaven (with thanks to Wolfy for rendering this on a computer a helluva lot faster than mine):
 I’ve been showing off ships to a friend of mine as I make them, including the spins of them. I originally did it on a few early ones to make sure everything was turning out right. While I still do use it for that occasionally, nowadays it’s mostly because it’s fun. The aforementioned friend suggested I should show this one in particular off, just because of the trippiness.
Last edited by AssumedPseudonym on Mon May 25, 2015 6:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

Of all the things I’ve lost in life, I miss my mind the least. (I’m having a lot more fun without it!)
AssumedPseudonym
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Update of the (insert random time period here): As promised, here’s your link. Unlike the last couple of times, this is just TBR, no random other goodies included. Also, both New Ships and Overkill were updated over on Xelerus. The main thing that pushed this update so late in the day was trying to get TBR, New Ships, and Overkill disentangled from one another. There were a few cross-dependencies that needed dealt with. I need to be less sloppy with my coding… ¬.¬;
Last edited by AssumedPseudonym on Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

AssumedPseudonym
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Update of the (insert random time period here): Due to a minor technical glitch — specifically, me committing an I-don’t-think-that-means-what-you-think-it-means with the “aArmorSeg” variable, trying to generate a random number with “rand” (which is, in fact, not a function at all) instead of “random,” and in the process generally just completely screwing up the Zyrran armor which I really should have tested before release but didn’t bother to because I’m apparently a dumbass — I’ve updated TBR and its download link. So if you downloaded it earlier, go grab it again.

AssumedPseudonym
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

I’ve gotten a few questions and comments during the course of making this monstrosity regarding my ships — what I use to make them, why their style is nothing like vanilla or most other mod ship authors, etc. I’m going to take a post to explain some of that.
 My ships are created with POV-Ray. Entirely. Not just the rendering side of things, but the “model” for them. For those of you unfamiliar with POV-Ray, it is a raytracer. You are not creating triangles or meshes, you are creating objects that are purely mathematical representations of surfaces. There is no GUI where you can click on a mesh and position/resize/stretch/twist/push/pull/television/warthog the model. Everything you make, you make with what’s basically a programming language, and you position/resize/stretch/twist/push/pull/television/warthog the shapes you create with geometry. You don’t get to see what you’re doing while you’re doing it, you have to do one step, render it (preferably at lower rendering settings that don’t make it take too long), and then make adjustments or move onto the next step from there.
 Most of my ships have been the result of vague ideas, happy accidents, I-wonder-what-would-happen-if, and random inspiration and fine tuning from there.
 This is the “model” — so to speak — of the Yatfwan Accord’s fighter, the Vega:

Code: Select all

#version 3.6;
#include "colors.inc"
#include "textures.inc"
#include "stones.inc"
#include "textures_2.inc"
#include "metals.inc"

global_settings {
  max_trace_level 50
  max_intersections 400
}

background {rgb 0}

// +W1600 +H1200 +A0.3 +Q9 +R9 +J1

#declare LSRGB=1/2;
#if (image_height=image_width)
  #declare LSRGB=1/3;
#end

light_source {<-800,1600,-3200> rgb LSRGB*3 #if (image_width=image_height) rotate x*degrees(atan(1/2)) #end}
light_source {<0,0,-1600> rgb LSRGB shadowless}

camera {
  location <0,0,-6.75>
  direction <0,0,2.25>
  right image_width/image_height*x
  look_at 0
}

#declare NORMAL=normal {onion slope_map {[0 <0,0>] [0 <1,0>] [1/2 <1,0>] [1/2 <0,0>] [1 <0,0>]} frequency 4 scale 1/4 turbulence 1/2 lambda 8 triangle_wave};

#declare Major=
  texture {T_Grnt20}
  texture {T_Grnt22 scale <1/8,8,1/8> rotate z*15}
  texture {T_Grnt22 scale <1/8,8,1/8> rotate z*345}
  texture {T_Grnt22 scale <1/8,8,1/8> rotate x*15}
  texture {T_Grnt22 scale <1/8,8,1/8> rotate x*345}
  texture {pigment {rgbt <1,1,0,3/4>} normal {quilted frequency 32 scale 1/64 bump_size 1/2} finish {F_MetalD}}
  ;
#declare Minor=texture {pigment {onion color_map {Brown_Agate_Map} frequency 4 scale 1/4 turbulence 1/2 lambda 8 scallop_wave} normal {NORMAL} finish {F_MetalB}};
#declare Highlight=texture {T_Grnt19 scale 1/32 finish {Soft_Silver_Finish}};
#declare Bridge=texture {T_Grnt24 pigment {onion frequency 1 scale <1,1/32,1> turbulence 0 sine_wave} finish {F_MetalE ambient <1,1,1>}};
#declare Thrust=texture {Blood_Sky scale 1/32 finish {ambient 1}};

#declare CR=seed(3121975);

#declare Primary=
  union {
    sphere {0,1/8}
    torus {7/64,1/64 scale <1,8,1> translate <0,5/4,0>}
    difference {
      cylinder {0,<0,5/4,0>,1/8}
      sphere {0,6/64 scale <1,1/2,1> translate <0,5/4,0> texture {Minor}}
    }
    #declare DetRot=0;
    #declare SphTra=0;
    #while (SphTra<5.01/4)
      #declare SphRot=45/8;
      #while (SphRot<360)
        sphere {0,1/32
          scale <1/2,1,1/2>
          #if (DetRot!=90)
            rotate z*DetRot
          #end
          translate <0,SphTra,-1/8>
          rotate y*SphRot
          #if (rand(CR)<1/3)
            texture {Minor}
          #end
        }
        #declare SphRot=SphRot+45/4;
      #end
      #declare SphTra=SphTra+1/32;
      #declare DetRot=DetRot+45;
      #if (DetRot=135)
        #declare DetRot=-45;
      #end
    #end
    torus {1/8,1/64 scale <1,2,1> translate <0,-1/32,0>}
  };

#declare Secondary=
  union {
    #declare TorTra=-3/4;
    #while (TorTra<3.1/4)
      torus {3/8,1/16 scale <1,1/8,1> translate <0,TorTra,0>}
      #declare TorTra=TorTra+1/8;
    #end
    difference {
      union {
        cylinder {<0,-3/4,0>,<0,3/4,0>,3/8}
        cone {<0,-1,0>,0,<0,-3/4,0>,3/8}
        cone {<0,1,0>,0,<0,3/4,0>,3/8}
      }
      #declare TorTra=-3/4;
      #while (TorTra<3.1/4)
        torus {3/8,1/128 scale <1,8,1> translate <0,TorTra,0> texture {Minor}}
        #declare TorTra=TorTra+1/4;
      #end
    }
  };

#declare TertiaryA=
  union {
    torus {1/8,1/64 scale <1,4,1> translate <0,-9/8,0>}
    torus {1/8,1/64 scale <1,4,1> translate <0,1/8,0>}
    #declare CylRot=45/2;
    #while (CylRot<360)
      union {

sphere {<0,0,-1/8>,1/32 scale <1,4,1> texture {Highlight}}
        cylinder {<0,0,-1/8>,<0,-1,-1/8>,1/32 texture {Highlight}}
        sphere {<0,0,-1/8>,1/32 scale <1,4,1> translate <0,-1,0> texture {Highlight}}
        #declare SphTra=0;
        #while (SphTra<1.01)
          sphere {0,1/32
            scale <5/4,1,5/4>
            translate <0,-SphTra,-1/8>
            #if (rand(CR)<1/4)
              texture {Minor}
            #end
          }
          #declare SphTra=SphTra+1/8;
        #end
        rotate y*CylRot
      }
      #declare CylRot=CylRot+45;
    #end
    difference {
      cylinder {<0,-9/8,0>,<0,1/8,0>,9/64}
      cylinder {<0,-5/4,0>,<0,1/2,0>,7/64}
      sphere {0,7/64 scale <1,4,1> translate <0,1/8,0> texture {Minor}}
    }
  };

#declare TertiaryB=
  union {
    torus {1/8,1/64 scale <1,4,1> translate <0,-9/8,0>}
    torus {1/8,1/64 scale <1,4,1> translate <0,1/8,0>}
    #declare CylRot=45/2;
    #while (CylRot<360)
      union {
        sphere {<0,0,-1/8>,1/32 scale <1,4,1> texture {Highlight scale 2}}
        cylinder {<0,0,-1/8>,<0,-1,-1/8>,1/32 texture {Highlight scale 2}}
        sphere {<0,0,-1/8>,1/32 scale <1,4,1> translate <0,-1,0> texture {Highlight scale 2}}
        #declare SphTra=0;
        #while (SphTra<1.01)
          sphere {0,1/32
            scale <5/4,1,5/4>
            translate <0,-SphTra,-1/8>
            #if (rand(CR)<1/4)
              texture {Minor scale 2}
            #end
          }
          #declare SphTra=SphTra+1/8;
        #end
        rotate y*CylRot
      }
      #declare CylRot=CylRot+45;
    #end
    difference {
      cylinder {<0,-9/8,0>,<0,1/8,0>,9/64}
      cylinder {<0,-5/4,0>,<0,1/2,0>,7/64}
      sphere {0,7/64 scale <1,4,1> translate <0,1/8,0> texture {Minor scale 2}}
    }
  };

#declare Quaternary=
  union {
    difference {
      cylinder {<0,0,-1/16>,<0,0,1/16>,1/2 texture {Highlight}}
      #declare CylRot=45/8;
      #while (CylRot<180)
        cylinder {<-17/32,0,-1/16>,<17/32,0,-1/16>,1/64 scale <1,2,1> rotate z*CylRot}
        cylinder {<-17/32,0,1/16>,<17/32,0,1/16>,1/64 scale <1,2,1> rotate z*CylRot}
        #declare CylRot=CylRot+45/4;
      #end
    }
    difference {
      torus {1/2,1/16 rotate x*90 texture {Highlight}}
      #declare TorRev=45/8;
      #while (TorRev<360)
        torus {1/16,1/64 scale <1,2,1> translate <1/2,0,0> rotate z*TorRev}
        #declare TorRev=TorRev+45/4;
      #end
    }
//    bounded_by {box {<-9/16,-9/16,1/16>,<9/16,9/16,1/16>}}
//    texture {Minor}
  };

#declare Quinary=
  difference {
    union {
      union {
        difference {
          torus {1/4,3/32}
          box {-1/2,<1/2,1/2,0>}
          cylinder {<0,-1/2,0>,<0,1/2,0>,1/4}
        }
        difference {
          union {
            sphere {<-1/4,0,0>,3/32}
            sphere {<1/4,0,0>,3/32}
          }
          cylinder {<0,-1/2,0>,<0,1/2,0>,1/4}
        }
        rotate x*45
        scale <1,2,1>
        rotate x*225
        rotate -x*degrees(atan(1/4))
        translate <0,-1/4.0000001,-1/16>
        texture {Bridge}
      }
      union {
        difference {
          torus {1/4,3/32}
          box {-1/2,<1/2,1/2,0>}
        }
        sphere {<-1/4,0,0>,3/32}
        sphere {<1/4,0,0>,3/32}
        rotate x*45
        scale <1,2,1>
        rotate x*225
        rotate -x*degrees(atan(1/4))
        translate <0,-1/4,-1/16>
      }
    }
    box {<-1,-1,0>,1}
    translate <0,-1/8,0>
  };

#declare FullShip=
  union {
    object {Primary translate <0,1/4,0>}
    object {Secondary scale 7/8 translate <-6/8,-1/8,0>}
    object {Secondary scale 7/8 translate <6/8,-1/8,0>}
    object {TertiaryA translate <0,-3/8,0>}
    object {TertiaryB rotate y*045 scale 1/2 translate <-1/8,-1/4,0>}
    object {TertiaryB rotate y*270 scale 1/2 translate <1/8,-1/4,0>}
    object {TertiaryB rotate y*180 scale 1/2 translate <-1/8,-1/4,0> rotate z*180}
    object {TertiaryB rotate y*225 scale 1/2 translate <1/8,-1/4,0> rotate z*180}
    object {TertiaryB rotate y*090 scale 1/2 translate <-1/8,-1,0>}
    object {TertiaryB rotate y*315 scale 1/2 translate <1/8,-1,0>}
    object {Quaternary}
    object {Quinary}
    difference {
      cylinder {<0,-27/32,0>,<0,-31/32,0>,1/8}
      cylinder {<0,-29/32,0>,<0,-1,0>,3/16 texture {Thrust}}
    }
    torus {1/8,1/64 scale <1,8,1> translate <0,-1/4,0>}
  };  

#if (image_width=image_height)
  object {FullShip texture {Major scale 1/2} scale 4.55/5 rotate -z*clock*360 rotate x*degrees(atan(1/2))}
#else
  object {FullShip texture {Major scale 1/2} scale 7/5 rotate x*90 rotate y*180 rotate <-30,30,-15>}
#end

AssumedPseudonym
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Update of the (insert random time period here): I’ve finished the automotive portion of my courses, and am down to just one Monday/Wednesday class for the remainder of this semester. That should free up a little time to do more on TBR. In the meantime, I’ve been mostly doing minor tweaks and adjustments and the like. I think I’ve put a few new weapons in, and I just recently finished a change to Zyrran armor that changes its reflectivification which is totally a word to work by damage type instead of weapon level (mostly because it made no sense to have a turbolaser being reflected but not a dual or omni turbolaser).
 One of these days, I may actually get around to putting more stations in, which is what I’ve been saying for months now. ¬.¬;

AssumedPseudonym
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Update of the (insert random time period here): New preview, because why not. Link’s on the first post. I’d put it here, too, but I’ll be too lazy later to take this one down when I replace it — I know myself too well. I have no idea how much is different because I haven’t been keeping a changelog. I should do something about that, and now’s as good a time as any.
 I am officially declaring this to be The Backroads Pre-Alpha 1.0. Feel free to toss confetti if you want. Personally, I can’t be arsed.
 Any old saves you might have had which included an older version of TBR won’t work with this update since I’ve redone the entire UNID entity list. A couple of the Fleet Admirals here were nice enough to allow me to claim a separate UNID prefix for this project, which is already making things easier to keep organized. Also, I’m no longer releasing this as a zipped collection of XML and graphics files, but as an actual TDB file (mostly because I can). It will probably clash with the older version due to duplicate UNIDs, so delete the old folder just to be safe. Just drop the TDB file into the Extensions folder like any other mod and it should be ready to go.

StealthX051
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Pre-Alpha 1.0? Okay... But, seriously great work. I would suggest putting it up on xelerus (linking the download link on the post and the download button having a small .txt file with the download link inside.)
AssumedPseudonym
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

StealthX051 wrote:Pre-Alpha 1.0? Okay... But, seriously great work. I would suggest putting it up on xelerus (linking the download link on the post and the download button having a small .txt file with the download link inside.)
 The “pre-alpha” is somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but accurate enough that that’s what I’m calling it. It’s not quite far along enough that I’d be willing to call it an alpha. It’s definitely not as far as a beta, at which point I might consider a Xelerus release for it.

Update of the (insert random time period here): Not much to report. I’ve spent a fair amount of time arguing with stargate creation lambdas — again — and finally think I have them working the way I want to. Turns out that the way I was doing it before wasn’t working as well as I liked, and didn’t work at all in the case of running in /debug with "noFullCreate" set to "true" in Setting.xml. I finally have that sorted out. I also have it sorted out that if someone else is mucking about with the lambda, this shouldn’t step on their proverbial toes. So I have my lambda, vanilla can still use its lambda, and anyone else can use their lambda, and we should all get along without overwriting one another.
 Also, if you’ve been using TBR in conjunction with CC or TSB (or EP, if you’ve modded its content in to D&O), you might have noticed that it takes forever for system generation to go through, and I’ve figured out what causes that: The stargate beacons and general position of the stargates themselves based on which one leads coreward. The vanilla stargate creation lambda places those based on which gate has the shortest path to Heretic, and it has to do this for each stargate. This requires it to consider every possible route from the system to Heretic. With just vanilla and CC, it’s not really that big a deal. Even with TSB, it’s not really all that bad, since most of its branches don’t connect back up with either itself or vanilla. TBR, however, has a couple of spots where things join back up to the mainline and several spots where its gateline splits and reconnects with itself, not to mention a chunk of cross-connected systems that comprises the core of the Ironground Jurisdiction. So when the game has to consider every conceivable path through all of my systems, all of George’s systems, and all of Wolfy’s systems — and do this for every single stargate in the game — it tends to get… fugly. All for those navigational beacons beside the stargates and usually putting coreward stargates closer to the center of the system. On my computer, for instance, it takes upward of half-an-hour between picking my ship and “Welcome to Transcendence!” I strongly advise /debug mode and "noFullCreate" if you’re going to use all of the topology-generating mods or expansions together.
 In other news, I decided the Procyon was juuust a bit too small. I’m in the process of rendering it a bit larger, and have updated the TBR ships image to reflect that. Said image also has the new Charon ships to replace the old ones, because I’m picky that way.

AssumedPseudonym
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Update of the (insert random time period here): First off, I was wrong. The problem is not in trnCreateAllStargates. This was thoroughly debunked with a bit of SCIENCE!, though now Wolfy — with whom I was sort of poking at the problem — and I have no idea just what’s causing system generation to take so long with more convoluted topology. Having the total time for all systems take longer, yeah, that makes sense, but to have each system individually take longer seems to hint at a deeper issue.
 Apart from that, I haven’t ever managed to get my stargate lambda to work quite the way I want it to, which is to say using something besides the vanilla trnCreateAllStargates lambda but neither permanently overwriting it or stepping on the proverbial toes of anyone else who might be mucking about with it, but I’ve finally figured out why I can’t make it work: It’s not possible to directly compare lambdas, only their results. For my purposes, this is highly unhelpful behavior. Maybe I oughtta bug George.
 Finally, after much consideration, I took another step in consolidating Avian Enterprises into a more cohesive faction. All of the weapons, shields, and ships have been renamed to have a more avian theme, and I’ll be reuploading AE — New Ships at some point to reflect that with the playership versions. The sole exception to the renaming has been the Dragonfly, and it has instead been relegated to a different faction altogether, specifically K3. I never really could get it to fit in with the rest of Avian Enterprises the way I would have liked, so this is probably about the best option I was going to come up with.

AssumedPseudonym
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Update of the (insert random time period here): Reassigning of the Dragonfly to K3 is now complete. This took a while since I had to rerender it — and 2,880 frames with POV-Ray on my computer is nothing to sneeze at. x.x
 Also, I’ve added a new playership, partially due to WillyTheSquid’s enthusiasm: The Afus Naginata. I can tell you that it’s a fast and agile ship with rather twitchy controls, but I can’t say much about its starting equipment. …Mainly because you pick it out yourself immediately upon appearing in Eridani.

FourFire
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Why did you need 2,880 frames rendered?
(func(Admin Response)= true){
if(admin func(amiable) = true)
Create func(Helpful Posts)
else func(Keep Calm and Post derisive topics)}
AssumedPseudonym
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

That’s why. That’s 24 frames per facing and 120 facings, which totals out at 2,880 frames overall. …Granted this is still in the old AE colors since I haven’t put up the K3 version, but still.

EDIT: Updated to K3 colors. Because why not.

AssumedPseudonym
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Update of the (insert random time period here): Coding has been rather minimal in the past couple of weeks, partially due to heading into the last week of the semester and partially because I’ve been working on lore and backstory. I have put together at least a primitive history of around half of my factions, a minimalist history of a few more, and a few hows and whys of their relations with other factions (be they from TBR or D&O or even TSB in some cases).
 Speaking of TSB, I have to give mad props to Wolfy — again — for taking the time to sit down with me and talk shop for a while. Some of our conversations have really helped to give me a clear direction on which way to point this monstrosity.

AssumedPseudonym
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Update of the (insert random time period here): The link to the current state of TBR — pre-alpha 1.1, and likely the last real pre-alpha I’ll be putting out (unless something is really, really broken) — has been updated. Now with changelog!