(working) Tractor device prototype up on xelarus

Post about your finished mods here.
F50
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

The binary search didn't work so well, but I did manage to remove system lag. So now you can use a working tractor beam. The Charon Pirate Cache and the Corsair have tractor/pressor devices too.
Periculi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Cool! I like new tricks!

And you have been trying to get this one to work for a while, congrats!
F50
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

not really, I only worked on it three-four days of coding (another day of research), just I had lots of other things that needed more attention while I was working on it. Most of my problems were silly bugs that should never have been there in the first place. A missing (block Nil) had me stumped for the longest time.

The linear search is a actually quite easy to do. Reducing the search to 180 instead of 360 (decreasing accuracy to being within 2 degrees) was enough to remove the lag while autopiloting and using the tractor. The player tractor only has a range of 10 in the mod which is a bit small, 15 would be better, 30 is a bit big as you can see by the station's pressor.

Another change which could be done to someone who wishes to put it on a ship is to decrease the frequency of the recurring timer event to allow a more fine-tuned tractor power.

Now to work on the Pirate Mod!