captain's log/journal

Post about your finished mods here.
Bobby
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I made this around the same time as the holographic stealth device.

it adds a log/journal feature to the hip screen, using new functions of 1.0 RC1.

It does have one flaw that I know of (aside from the fact that "log" looks weird because the other dockscreen options are much longer), it's that because each page is stored as a string on the player's ship, and I don't know how to delete bits off the end of a string, so there is no way to delete a single entry, just the whole page.

Is there a function to delete the last character of a string of variable length?
Prophet
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Fantastic!

I was trying to do something similar for the V.U.I. mod, but it never really materialized. :oops:
Coming soon: The Syrtian War adventure mod!
A Turret defense genre mod exploring the worst era in Earth's history.
Can you defend the Earth from the Syrtian invaders?
Stay tuned for updates!
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

Bobby wrote:Is there a function to delete the last character of a string of variable length?
Yes there is! In RC1/2 the subset function also works on strings:

Code: Select all

(subset string pos [count]) -> string

(subset "abcdef" 2) -> "cdef"
(subset "abcdef" 0 4) -> "abcd"
IceMephit
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

I like it a lot!! My problem however, is that with V.U.I., the Log never shows as an option. I deleted V.U.I. and it worked. Any ideas?

Thanx
For Sale: One slightly used EI500 freighter. Hull damaged, primary weapon defective, shields inoperable. Must be towed to Dry-dock. Make an offer!!
Bobby
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

yes, you have something else that overwrites dsShipInterior, thus conflicting with this version of the same dockscreen.

V.U.I. is fully compatible, as is G.O.D.mod, but you can't use "DSFScreenHook_ShipInterior.xml"(or anything else that overwrites dsShipInterior)

Thanks George! I have a working backspace key now.
alterecco
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Very cool that it uses the screenhook to remain compatible. Perhaps it could be made as a screen that shows up in the "External Interfaces" instead, to avoid confusion. The problem is, that at the moment your mod requires the DSF to be present, otherwise the External Interface action will fail. Since the DSF by default overrides the ShipInterior, we might run into many cases of "hey, why is it not working". I'm not saying that you must, or that you should, just suggesting it as an alternative. If you want to know how to integrate it (very easy) just holler, or look at how the vui does it :)
IceMephit
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Bobby wrote:yes, you have something else that overwrites dsShipInterior, thus conflicting with this version of the same dockscreen.

V.U.I. is fully compatible, as is G.O.D.mod, but you can't use "DSFScreenHook_ShipInterior.xml"(or anything else that overwrites dsShipInterior)
Thanx! I removed "DFSScreenHook" and now they both function together.
For Sale: One slightly used EI500 freighter. Hull damaged, primary weapon defective, shields inoperable. Must be towed to Dry-dock. Make an offer!!
Bobby
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Updated again.

I took alterecco's advice and added a second version that shows up using the same method as V.U.I. and G.O.D.mod, but it is giving me errors that I have never seen before (yet still works).

also, general cleaning and remnants of other mods removed.

Code: Select all

11/16/2009 18:09:44	Exception in scrGetListEntry; arg = (gScreen)
11/16/2009 18:09:44	Exception in scrGetListEntry; arg = (gScreen) (gScreen) ###