Barcode Scanner Mod

Post about your finished mods here.
Styro
Miner
Miner

During my first run-through of Transcendence one of the things that annoyed me was not being able to identify items - especially ones that I installed but remained unidentified.

I understand that unidentified items are a staple of the rogue-like genre, but so are piles of ID scrolls.

So I have created a Barcode Scanner mod. This device can be used to identify items in your ship. Each time it is used it charges a fee equal to 25% of the value of the item (known or unknown cost - whichever is higher). It does not need to be installed in order to be used.

I have uploaded it to Xelerus:
http://xelerus.de/index.php?s=mod&id=702

Please let me know what you think. Any feedback is appreciated!
stealthx
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

I think 25% is a little bit expensive. I was thinking of 15% but 15 doesn't divide 100. So how about 20%?
Jeoshua
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

I think this would be an excellent mod if it were accompanied by some one-use free identification methods. Well... free in the sense of not charging when using... the stores could still charge for em.
Prophet
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I like this mod.

I've made a number of identification methods and I still haven't found one that's perfect.

There are a number of different ways to work it:
Single use item - eg. scroll of identify. This method is extremely difficult to balance, trying to have the proper amount spawn either in loot or in stations without unbalancing the other items in the trade tables.
Reusable item - difficult to balance, the barcode scanner charges the player, my VUI catalogues will only affect a narrow criteria of items so you need the right one.
Purchaseable service - only good for station items and doesn't help with the player's items, this method is used in digdug's WE3 mod.
Coming soon: The Syrtian War adventure mod!
A Turret defense genre mod exploring the worst era in Earth's history.
Can you defend the Earth from the Syrtian invaders?
Stay tuned for updates!