[MOD] The Network

Post about your finished mods here.
Drako Slyith
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer
Location: Researching how to make St. Kats star go supernova.

I recently submitted a mod to xelerus called The Network

Basically, it triples the number of systems, but creates them in a network system with three branches which converge and split again at each main system (Eriadani, Rigel, Charon, St. Kats, ect.). It adds hours to the game, and gives you far more systems to play in and explore. I even added a basic galactic map. The topology looks like:

Code: Select all

H                  Key:
     / | \                  H = heretic
    S  S  S                 PJ = Point Juno
     \ | /                  SK = St. Kats
       PJ                   C = Charon
     / | \                  BA = Rigel
    S  S  S                 E = Eridani
     \ | /                  S = 1 or more systems in a
       SK                       Linear Chain
       |
       C
     / | \
    S  S  S
     \ | /
       BA
     / | \
    S  S  S
     \ | /
       E 

I would much like some feedback and any issues you find. :D
Play in over 100 systems in a network. Play the 2011 Mod Of the Year
and the highest rated mod on Xelerus, The Network.
Play the July Mod of the Month, Fellow Pilgrims!
Play My other mods as well
(Drako Slyith)* I am a person
(Eliza chatbot)> Do you believe it is normal to be a person?
ThePrivateer
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Hey Drako, it's your biggest fan/bug finder! :D

As I mentioned on Xelerus, there was the node inbound/outbound bugs where the player would spawn into a system from the wrong gate, but you should be able to fix that somewhat easily I believe.

Other than that, don't forget to add a nice graphic for the front page -- I often use Wikimedia Commons for graphics, as they all come with free usage liscenses.

Keep up the good work though - this is quite an interesting system topology mod, and I can't wait to see how it pans out in the end. :D
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Oh awesome! I have to give this a try as soon as I get a chance, probably this weekend. This is pretty nice work here with the addition of new systems. It seems kinda like what we were doing or trying to do earlier except ended up failing miserably due to trying to make an entire new universe.
Drako Slyith
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Ok so I just posted an update. I added an image to the adventure selection, fixed an issue where you went to the wrong stargates, fixed one of my old enemy the '[prev]' stargates... and added made Elysium have the extra stargates to let you go to the other branches. (I had the topology already but didn't have the system itself edited. If you find any stargate mix ups, please tell my because I really need to fix them.
ThePrivateer
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Drako Slyith wrote:Ok so I just posted an update. I added an image to the adventure selection, fixed an issue where you went to the wrong stargates, fixed one of my old enemy the '[prev]' stargates... and added made Elysium have the extra stargates to let you go to the other branches. (I had the topology already but didn't have the system itself edited. If you find any stargate mix ups, please tell my because I really need to fix them.
Great! I'll download it tomorrow! :D (or later tonight, maybe)
Drako Slyith
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

I just updated a new version to xelerus. I fixed the repeating systems' names. I also added a few branches that are dead ends branching off the regular topology.

This makes it much much easier to get lost :twisted:
ThePrivateer
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Hey Drako!

Just downloaded the new version and for once, I'm all outta problems for you to fix! :)

I love the new Adventure screen display, the galaxy map is now better resized, the inbound/outbound bugs are all fixed...it's great!

Keep up the good work :D
Drako Slyith
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Thanks! What I'm working on now is "Defective Stargate"s I plan for them to send you to a random system in the same level. Also other goodies for the purpose of getting the persistent player completely and totally lost :twisted:
Also, any ideas would be great. (I'm bound to run out sometime) Thanks!
ThePrivateer
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Drako Slyith wrote:Thanks! What I'm working on now is "Defective Stargate"s I plan for them to send you to a random system in the same level. Also other goodies for the purpose of getting the persistent player completely and totally lost :twisted:
Also, any ideas would be great. (I'm bound to run out sometime) Thanks!
Careful not to got too carried away.

Mods are fun, but if they obstruct the main, vanilla gameplay too much, people will be less likely to play your adventure/mod and instead just stick with regular gameplay.

Defective stargates are a neat idea, but if the player continually gets lost, they won't want to play the game again. stick with a more predictable network, with the occasional dead-end for variety.

As for names....try creating a list of 'first' and 'last' names --the first part is an adjective, that describes something. The last name is the actual name itself..
Here's an example:

New
Old
Shattered
Prime
Now, the last name list:

York
England
Cygni
Rechi
Now, choose a random first and a random last name....there should be sixteen different combinations of names there for the stargates.
Eg.
Prime York
Shattered Cygni
Old England
New England

With a larger list, it will work really well.

Remember - stick to the original idea, a network of stargates. Not a maze of stargates, but a mod that adds more depth to the game - like how mods like A Long Way to Go added more stargates in a chain, you're adding stargates in a network, with branches and occaisional dead ends.

Well, I hope that helps you! :D
Drako Slyith
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Right. I wasn't planning on making the whole thing completely random, what I plan to do (and am working on now) is a small eight system maze at the ends of two dead end branches. If I get the defective stargate running what I was planning on doing was placing it randomly into systems in addition to the regular structure. Then, you can gamble that it puts you in a better spot, or just continue and not risk it.
ThePrivateer
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Drako Slyith wrote:Right. I wasn't planning on making the whole thing completely random, what I plan to do (and am working on now) is a small eight system maze at the ends of two dead end branches. If I get the defective stargate running what I was planning on doing was placing it randomly into systems in addition to the regular structure. Then, you can gamble that it puts you in a better spot, or just continue and not risk it.
Ohhhhhhh. Sorry 'bout that. :oops:

I misunderstood your intentions - still, keep what I said in mind.

The maze sounds interesting -- maybe it could be accessed by a single stargate and have a prize at the end?
You could create a whole new alien species - the "maze guardians", and you enter into their scientific testing, to see how pilots react in certain condtions. You could also add the "purple fog" to confuse players, and have a really good prize at the end of the eight systems.

Scattered within are the "random" stargates -- used by the Scientists to test the stress of a pilot and how they will react to a gamble under pressure.
I can see a whole storyline merging from this.

How do you like the sound of that? ;)
Drako Slyith
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Sounds good! I had thought I should put a prize at the end. I actually have 2 mazes running now- 1 is level 2 systems and appears before Rigel. The other is level 7 and appears near Point Juno. I like the idea of having a mini-quest like the Huari quest. Or :shock: :idea: :shock:

The Iocrym are the ones testing in the mazes- finishing the maze gets you secret Iocrym technology. Maybe at level 2 you get an Iocrym missile defence turret or other device, and at level 7 you get an Iocrym fracture cannon.

Thanks for the ideas!!! I will definitely make use of them. :D
Jeoshua
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Reguardless of the "pretty name", which if you check the functions on Xelerus and in the source, I'm sure that you can set to whatever you want, you're going to need to make sure each system has a unique "objName".
Drako Slyith
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

as far as I can tell my systems have everything the other systems do. I used the same system bases and the same systems templates that are used in the vanilla, and the overwritten systems are copied directly over. The node IDs are all unique as well.
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I'd release without any sidequests or special rewards. Iocrym in the QZ would be very out of place and make the mod age badly when the next segment of content is released. That would make people interested in the topology but not gameplay shifts avoid your mod.