[Mod] Playership Drones v4

Post about your finished mods here.
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Hmm... I'm confused. Anybody have a starmap to the Core?

That's because some ships are derpy. When you have them wait, ships hit with a momentum weapon don't readjust to stay at he same point.
Also, you'll fall in love with the Ranx DN and the Aquila. The Aquila has 4 linked spots... >:D
Tutorial List on the Wiki and Installing Mods
Get on Discord for mod help and general chat
Der Tod ist der zeitlose Frieden und das leben ist der Krieg
Wir müssen wissen — wir werden wissen!
I don't want any sort of copyright on my Transcendence mods. Feel free to take/modify whatever you want.
Patupi
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

I thought about the dreadnought, but doesn't it also have really low acceleration? The Aquilla I haven't met yet (I got to point Juno in one game, that's about as far as I've got yet.). The Charon Frigate is bad enough but I was going through the stats in the source code and seeing what the ration between the thrust and mass was (and thrust vs mass+cargo ;) ) and the Ranx DD was fairly low, right? The only way to use something like that would be to use the inertialess drive... and you tend to run out of fuel, even with a 1GW reactor. You just can't coast.
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Hmm... I'm confused. Anybody have a starmap to the Core?

Well, I did install a Titan drive, so there's that.
Tutorial List on the Wiki and Installing Mods
Get on Discord for mod help and general chat
Der Tod ist der zeitlose Frieden und das leben ist der Krieg
Wir müssen wissen — wir werden wissen!
I don't want any sort of copyright on my Transcendence mods. Feel free to take/modify whatever you want.
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

For really huge, sluggish ships, you want inertialess drive.

(To sdw195) Go to ship configuration. You should see a new option "Link weapons" if you pilot a ship that supports it. Highlight a weapon you want to link, then select Link Weapons. You should see a screen with the ship and numbers representing linked fire weapon slots. If you have empty slots, and the weapon is supported, you can link it. Caveat: Only standard weapons and weapons from my other mods can be linked. Linking weapons from other mods such as those in WE4 is impossible.

I apologize for not updating this to 1.08 yet. There is much work that needs to be done before it will be ready.
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.
sdw195
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

PM wrote:
(To sdw195) Go to ship configuration. You should see a new option "Link weapons" if you pilot a ship that supports it. Highlight a weapon you want to link, then select Link Weapons. You should see a screen with the ship and numbers representing linked fire weapon slots. If you have empty slots, and the weapon is supported, you can link it. .
i was able to link some weapons, but i cant get a primary weapon,

i fire the apa, but none of the others fire,
Last edited by sdw195 on Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Dash_Merc - George is a genius, in that he created this game engine that is infinitely extendable"
"<@sheepluva>Good night everybody, may the source be with you." <-- FOSG dev
"You only need THREE tools in life - WD-40 to make things go, Duct Tape to make things stop And C-4 to make things go away"
Patupi
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Oh believe me I have been using the linked weapons. However some of it takes a little time to work out. I'm assuming that with a ship with linked weapons a standard weapon will work like an omni? Weather it is the linked weapon or the primary (red X)? However sometimes I've had it were the primary isn't omni. Not sure what was special about those times. Removed the weapons and reinstalled, relinked and it WAS omni, so not sure what was up with that. It's also tricky even with the 400 weapons and 912 items packs to get good launcher mounted omni weapons... plus you can't use weapon upgrades on the launcher weapons... bummer. Nice that you can link enhanceed weapons though. I have to admit, I thought it was just arrayed and dual weapons that couldn't be linked (and one or two odd ones). It'd be nice if there was a list... but then the list would have to allow for all the mods out there... not really feasible. :) Still you can tell when you try to link, just a bummer to save up for a weapon and find you can't link it... and you already like your existing primary. Ah well.

Oh, I was using a Titan fusion 440 already... still slow as heck changing directions :) Probably had something to do with the few thousand tons of cargo ;) I don't really like the inertialess drive much. Good for dodging (stop start, stop start. Hah try to target me!) but sucks at long distance travel. Uses too much energy. Admitedly with the recent enhanced fuel mod (doubles reactors fuel supply) this is a little less bothersome so I'm thinking of trying it a bit. Similarly I don't use shields or always on devices that have high power use either, or if I do I turn them off between battles/uses. That's one reason I like the revenant series of shields. You don't have to worry about delay turning them on and getting them charged. One second and you're there :)
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

(To sdw195) Cannot get a primary weapon? What do you mean? The picture looks fine to me. If you wanted to link the Ares plasma archcannon but could not, it was because all of your ship's linked weapon slots were full, and you needed to unlink one of the linked weapons first.

(To Patupi) Linked fire weapon slots are not necessarily omnidirectional; they vary by ship. Unfortunately, there is no easy way to tell the player the firearcs of every weapon slot. Linked fire weapon slots fire only if the playership has a target or if an enemy is nearby (range 30 or less). In addition, the target must be within that weapon slot's firearc. Similarly, not every ship with linked fire weapon slots has an omnidirectional primary slot.

Currently, the only way for me to support linked fire weapons is to make a virtual linkedFire copy of every weapon. This is why only standard weapons and those from my mods are link capable.
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!

sdw195
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

yeah, i didnt know that linked fire weapons only fire when there are enemies around, :oops:

anyway, its working now :D
"Dash_Merc - George is a genius, in that he created this game engine that is infinitely extendable"
"<@sheepluva>Good night everybody, may the source be with you." <-- FOSG dev
"You only need THREE tools in life - WD-40 to make things go, Duct Tape to make things stop And C-4 to make things go away"
Patupi
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

PM, with some weapons also having inherent firing arcs do the firing arcs of ships with linked firing arc supersede them? I know some weapons are listed as having a 20deg firing arc etc and was just wondering how that fitted in?
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

The (non-fixed) firearc of a ship's weapon slot should override swivel (but not omnidirectional) weapons.

PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

One change I may consider for the next release is the player can buy one ship from each shipyard regardless how many the ships the player has, but once that ship is purchased, the player cannot buy another ship from that shipyard. (Insert ingame reason why - too much demand, vendor needs the ships, etc.) This change would make shipyards operate like trading posts. Even if the player cannot buy another ship, he can still trade ships.

In theory, if the player can acquire and preserve a fleet of ships, the player can easily become overpowered. In my experience, all the player needs to do to become overpowered is to acquire a large ship with three or more weapon slots and cargo capacity to carry a thousand or more tons worth of stuff. Playership Drones is fun, but it is easy to become overpowered, moreso than normal, with careful play.

I may work on updating Playership Drones soon. Priority is to update it to 1.08 and attempt to improve shipyards and ship rebuilding.

Patupi
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

You may also want to include a 'sell ship' option aswell to get rid of unwanted drone ships. At a significant loss of course :)
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

You can sell a ship by commanding a drone to [G]uard the station with a shipyard. Once it is docked, the sell option should appear. Exception: CSCs do not buy ships. The readme explains how to sell ships.

Patupi
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Dang! Must have missed that! Thanks for clarifying
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Ships with 20 facings (e.g., Hornet, Wind Slaver) have severe blind spots with fixed angle weapons. Since 1.08 supports <DeviceSlot>, I have a question to Playership Drones fans:

* Would you like ships with 20 facings have a small 10 (or 20) degree fire arc for any non-omni weapon? Such a fire arc should make aiming a little easier.