NAMI Phase Shields mod

Post about your finished mods here.
Patupi
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

This mod contains two level 7 shield generators; the 'Hi-Energy phase shield' and the 'Kinetic phase shield'. Each focusses on defending vs certain types of damage, having higher absorbtion ratings vs some damage, low against others. The other is a mirror image. Also each shield has it's 'tunable phase frequency' that blocks certain damage, both incoming fire AND your own weapons.

Hi-Energy phase shield is good vs beams: laser, particle, ion, positron, antimatter and graviton and can block one of these. 'Using' the shield will cycle through these with the 'Z' key. Kinetic is the same but defends and cycles against Kinetic (projectile), blast, thermo, plasma, nano, singularity.

They both have low to medium hitpoints, pretty good regen and fairly low shield down time with power requirements at 80MW. The display when you examine the shield in-game doesn't show all the damage absorption. If someone gets late game with this can you test whether it DOES protect vs high level damage?

http://xelerus.de/index.php?s=mod&id=1097
Patupi
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

I'm working on a nanotech shield to add to this mod. This would be a 'learning' shield that you can upgrade over time by having it absorb other shields to give you points (or possibly generate 'nanopacks' that you then reabsorb for upgrades, haven't decided which way to go yet) that you can then spend to increase the Shield's stats. Progressive upgrades cost more points (or nanopacks) and will also increase power requirements. You can increase 'efficiency' to decrease power but this too takes more points as you keep on with it.

This is really a test device to see if I can program this. If so it will lead to a series of nanotech devices and eventually a complete nanotech ship. Think a vessel made of the T2000 from the Terminator 2 film, though slower changing. Basically when it 'learns' it is shapeshifting to a new form to improve itself.

I'm working through the dockscreen formatting at the moment as well as learning the various scripting. I've been programming for over twenty years but this is a little different than I'm used to so it might go a little slow.
Patupi
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

OK, I think I'm going to change the 'nano test shield' so it learns from either XP earned over time or by damage applied to shield for the moment. May implement the shield absorbing later instead of this. Right now I want to get the shield that upgrades, gains points and gains 'potential' to upgrade to with points.

I'm also thinking of splitting each of the old Hi-Energy and Kinetic shields into two versions, one low level, and one high level. The stat screen on your ship interior only shows a few of the damage absorbing stats based on level so if I have one low level, then one high level you'll be able to see all of the special bonuses it's capable of.
WillyTheSquid
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

This sounds really interesting. Hope you get it all working!

“Normal people believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. (Modders) believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.” -Scott Adams

Resident mod-cobbler-together, freakspawn-fixer-upper & musical eclectro-ecumenologist.
If you love something, tweak it and twist it. Keep bending it until it breaks. Rip it apart, remix it, rebuild it. Kill your darlings and stitch them together again.

JOIN US ON IRC. IT KICKS ASS. JOIN THE HIVE MIND.
Place cursor on link. Click link. Never look back.
Patupi
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

I chose 'nano shield' so it would be different from what I'm aiming for, which is an organic ship in it's entirety. Similar effect but I just wanted them to 'feel' different. I'm going to experiment with all of the different parts needed for the ship first before trying to build the ship completely. Hey, I'm new at this! :)