Syndikat Fixes - Mends issues with BM justice system

Post about your finished mods here.
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Syndikat Fixes

A mod created to resolve some of the issues with the Black Market's justice system, making it much more elegant.

Major changes:

- Bounty Hunters are now designated as hostiles, as is the standard for hostile offshoots of non - hostile factions.

- The Syndikat will no longer treat players who have no dealings with them as rogue members if they blow up their stations. Instead, they will attack them on sight.

- The Black Market's ability to track you is greatly decreased - they are no longer omniscient, and can only send their hitmen after you when they still have a significant hold on the system.

Xelerus Link

Thanks to IRC for helping me transition into Tlisp syntax.

As always, please post here if you notice any balance issues, problems, or potential improvements.
Attachments
Syndikat Fixes.zip
(6.22 KiB) Downloaded 319 times
Last edited by JohnBWatson on Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:54 am, edited 9 times in total.
AssumedPseudonym
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Xelerus is notoriously on its last legs. The trick for getting a mod to upload is, when you enter its description, not to use any apostrophes or odd Unicode characters which is why Pale Blue Light didn’t say lolno when you uploaded it.

Mod prefixes: 0xA010 (registered) and 0xDCC8 (miscellaneous)

My mods on Xelerus: Click here!

Of all the things I’ve lost in life, I miss my mind the least. (I’m having a lot more fun without it!)
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

AssumedPseudonym wrote: Xelerus is notoriously on its last legs. The trick for getting a mod to upload is, when you enter its description, not to use any apostrophes or odd Unicode characters which is why Pale Blue Light didn’t say lolno when you uploaded it.
That's good to know.

I'll give uploading another go tomorrow.
pixelfck
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

AssumedPseudonym wrote:Xelerus is notoriously on its last legs. The trick for getting a mod to upload is, when you enter its description, not to use any apostrophes or odd Unicode characters.
Ouch. From now on, consider Xelerus completely broken security wise and consider your Xelerus password compromised.

~Pixelfck
Download the Black Market Expansion from Xelerus.de today!
My other mods at xelerus.de
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

pixelfck wrote:
AssumedPseudonym wrote:Xelerus is notoriously on its last legs. The trick for getting a mod to upload is, when you enter its description, not to use any apostrophes or odd Unicode characters.
Ouch. From now on, consider Xelerus completely broken security wise and consider your Xelerus password compromised.

~Pixelfck
The good news is that both Kronosaur and the community are growing, and will likely be able to support a replacement site when the time comes.
gunship256
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

I tried the mod a second go this weekend after George showcased it on Twitch.

I have to say that I really like it, and it feels balanced. The Black Market acts as it should by becoming hostile after one if its stations is destroyed. This doesn't end the game as it would with other factions (*ahem*) but creates farming opportunities at the cost of what would otherwise have been a great place to sell and install stuff.

The loot at BM shipyards is disappointing. I'm guessing that's because the game damages or destroys most of a station's inventory when the station itself is destroyed, and shipyards don't start with much compared to CW stations.

Farming the guards, on the other hand, is well worth the trouble. The Molotoks are a reliable source of fragmenting MAGs, and the Manticores, high-flux MAGs.

Any chance you could code the other factions to act this way too?
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

gunship256 wrote:I tried the mod a second go this weekend after George showcased it on Twitch.

I have to say that I really like it, and it feels balanced. The Black Market acts as it should by becoming hostile after one if its stations is destroyed. This doesn't end the game as it would with other factions (*ahem*) but creates farming opportunities at the cost of what would otherwise have been a great place to sell and install stuff.

The loot at BM shipyards is disappointing. I'm guessing that's because the game damages or destroys most of a station's inventory when the station itself is destroyed, and shipyards don't start with much compared to CW stations.

Farming the guards, on the other hand, is well worth the trouble. The Molotoks are a reliable source of fragmenting MAGs, and the Manticores, high-flux MAGs.

Any chance you could code the other factions to act this way too?
Revamping all other faction's justice systems would unfortunately be beyond the scope of this mod(it's focused solely on the Syndikat, as the name implies), but George has responded positively towards revamping the justice systems of the main factions later on, including several of the suggestions I implemented here. I certainly agree that it's strange that they don't turn hostile after the player destroys the equivalent of several major cities.

That said, I do have plans to add a bit more content to this mod - having bounty hunters gate once paid off is on my list, as is level - scaling for bounty hunters and Black Market guards. I also plan to handle 'piracy' against smugglers, with retaliation against non - members and fines against members. Ideally, I intend eventually complete a justice system that could be used as a base for those of the other factions you mention.