Navigation Computer Visual (project cancelled)

A place to discuss mods in development and concepts for new mods.
Periculi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Get the mod here: Navigation Computer Visual on Xelerus!

Well, it's a new era for transcendence indeed! I thought it was amazing that the topology could be put in extensions. I thought the new material in the game made transcendence more fun than ever before.

I staggered around laughing in glee because the custom topology functions George added blew my mind, and made 099 more than the upgrade of my dreams.

Little did I know that buried in a new simple element for dockscreens was the means to an absolutely miraculous new way to view the networks.

This is a piece of conceptual art that I made for the new network graphics project. This isn't really much more than eye candy atm, however I think you will be able to see the gist of what is going to be happening:

This is a rough representation of what a vanilla game topology star layout would look like in a total overview of the network. The dockscreens are limited to 600 x 400 images, so getting all the network in can be a little tough.

It won't really be necessary to fit all the network into one shot, it's just nice.

Now, each of the little star tiles can be positioned as layers- I will be adding in little lines to represent the gate links later. I am putting together more name tags to throw in there- they will even change to match the system names!

The yellow circle around one star is meant to demonstrate the "You are Here" feature.

I have found a fast and easy way to create these maps and am working out the code required to do the layering and the revealing of the map as you progress, so with a little more time and a lot of luck we will soon be able to 'see' the star network.

I am also making the little star tiles to match the star color in the game, and binary systems will be shown, and so on. I think that a closer zoom with larger stars would be easy to add in, where we can use some divisions based on the map area- giving a larger topology a sort of multi-charted viewing set up that would allow map sections to be more colorful and impart more information, perhaps.

For the usage I intend with the navigation computer this visual effect will be in addition to the already very capable list representation so that we can have lots of navigation fun. Yay!

This teaser has been brought to you by:
Last edited by Periculi on Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Aury
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Somewhere in the Frontier on a Hycrotan station, working on new ships.

:D
Whoa! how cool!
All sorts of new great stuff we can do with this...
(shpOrder gPlayership 'barrelRoll)
(plySetGenome gPlayer (list 'Varalyn 'nonBinary))
Homelab Servers: Xeon Silver 4110, 16GB | Via Quadcore C4650, 16GB | Athlon 200GE, 8GB | i7 7800X, 32GB | Threadripper 1950X, 32GB | Atom x5 8350, 4GB | Opteron 8174, 16GB | Xeon E5 2620 v3, 8GB | 2x Xeon Silver 4116, 96GB, 2x 1080ti | i7 8700, 32GB, 6500XT
Workstations & Render machines: Threadripper 3990X, 128GB, 6900XT | Threadripper 2990WX, 32GB, 1080ti | Xeon Platinum 8173M, 48GB, 1070ti | R9 3900X, 16GB, Vega64 | 2x E5 2430L v2, 24GB, 970 | R7 3700X, 32GB, A6000
Gaming Systems: R9 5950X, 32GB, 6700XT
Office Systems: Xeon 5318Y, 256GB, A4000
Misc Systems: R5 3500U, 20GB | R5 2400G, 16GB | i5 7640X, 16GB, Vega56 | E5 2620, 8GB, R5 260 | P4 1.8ghz, 0.75GB, Voodoo 5 5500 | Athlon 64 x2 4400+, 1.5GB, FX 5800 Ultra | Pentium D 3.2ghz, 4GB, 7600gt | Celeron g460, 8GB, 730gt | 2x Athlon FX 74, 8GB, 8800gts 512 | FX 9590, 16GB, R9 295x2 | E350, 8GB | Phenom X4 2.6ghz, 16GB, 8800gt | random core2 duo/atom/i5/i7 laptops
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Quite cool... That maze mod could be much better with that now. :)
Periculi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

:lol: (*shoots the maze to put it down for good)

Ahem.. 'scuse me.

(*kicks Sys26)

Hmm... guess I just don't care to much for dead mods that won't go down easily.

So, about this visual map thingy....

IT IS FINISHED

But you can't have it until I test it out a bit.
Yugi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Periculi wrote:But you can't have it until I test it out a bit.
Need a beta-tester? ;)
Sheltem
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

:D

nice work, again.
I'm proud having inspired you.
Already looked for some nice temple-images ;)

I hope you can bend it to work with big topologies :)

Praise the Periculi
regards
Sheltem

What do you think about the endless stream of spawns ?

What about modding wandering spawns which dont attack the player directly ?
Periculi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Visual mapping is a very young artform for transcendence. Being in it's infancy, it is a labor intensive process of diligence and special operations requiring a very deep understanding of what it is you are intending to accomplish.

There are esoteric rules and processes going on under the graphic that make the art of visual network representation suitable only for the bold and experienced mod maker who has oodles of spare time to spend pushing pixels around to accomplish a very static end result.

Maps don't just appear as you want them to based on in game information. There are no in game processes that provide the information. The <Display> element of dockscreens is a very limited format, and the <Image> element has a great deal to be desired.

All that said, anything is possible if you make it possible.

However, I wouldn't expect very many visual maps to be included in adventure extensions for 099 series. There are few, if any, mod makers willing and able to do this type of work. I am not sure how many I would want to do, and you know how much I love to sit down and write thousands of lines of mod code.

Be content that you can put topologies in the extensions, and that there is a data-list based mapping method that will allow any topology to be represented without any special 40+ hour projects to make it happen.
Periculi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Get the mod here: Navigation Computer Visual on Xelerus!

Because I know so many of you are going to ask me about this, I am making this public announcement over the forum loudspeaker system:

This Mod ONLY ONLY ONLY works on the Vanilla topology for the visual charts.

Thank you for your understanding
F50
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

/me joins cult

Praise the Periculi
ImageImage
schilcote
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Now all you have to do is make it so that it builds itself.
[schilcote] It doesn't have to be good, it just has to not be "wow is that the only thing you could think of" bad
Mutos
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Hi Periculi, hi all,

That's quite a great achievment ^-^ Nice nice nice ! Indeed it would be most useful for non-linear extension topologies !
@+

Benoît 'Mutos' ROBIN
Hoshikaze 2250 Project
Periculi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Ah.. non-linear? You mean like branching and looping and getting dizzy in? I have a topology right here under my trenchcoat you might be interested in. Worth your weight in tritium, I tell ya. :lol:

I get the feeling not many people heard the public announcement posted above, no matter how loud I typed. To make a visual chart for any topology other than the one already done for the vanilla game topology, you are going to need to do a lot of work on graphics and dockscreen display placement.

But the basic version of the navigation computer works in any topology without requiring anything other than plopping it in your extension folder! Yay!
Mutos
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Hi Periculi,

Exceuse me, what I wanted to say is that I heard the loud warning, but it would have been more useful for non-linear topologies ^-^ Sorry for my bad expression...

Anyway, I'll try all that as soon as I can get time...
@+

Benoît 'Mutos' ROBIN
Hoshikaze 2250 Project
Periculi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

The navigation computer (basic) is very handy in non-linear topologies already, and if you switch the navMode to ShowAllPlus, it allows you to see all the systems and jump to any of them. The visual charts are the only part that is restricted to working for the vanilla topology only.

The charts are just eye candy- I have built a navigation screen that allows you to see the map as a list, and to 'walk' through the gates from system to system in order to get a feel for the network. Combined with system flagging and star log entries, this basic data-based map system is very flexible and adapts itself to any topology network.

The only thing that can't get the data from in the game's own topology is the visual graphic representation- but I am working on some methods to get that to work in a strict fashion, so it may one day soon be possible to use the star charts in multiple topologies designed with the star chart display in mind.